Thread: Nikon D600

Nikon D600

i love technology, so, as a long time D700 Nikon user, i was wowed by the D800 specs & immediately pre-ordered one when it was announced - but as i was waiting for delivery, reality set in ;-)

i realized i can already make great looking prints as large as i want (3 - 4t ft), so the main use for the resolution for me would be for occasional (rare) extreme cropping and video - but i would have to pay the price of 3x larger files on all images (i only shoot RAW)

so... D800 is fantastic camera, but perhaps not best suited to my more modest needs

the just announced D600 seems to fit the bill better:
    - 24MP (basically same sensor as Sony RX1)
    - same video as D800
    - smaller, lighter

cons?:
    - not as rugged a body as D700/800, but i'm not hard on gear.
    - an updated AF system (with fewer focus points), but hopefully not a step backwards

i pre-ordered one & will post impressions

info:

Nikon Site

a fun "behind the scenes" video here:

sample movies

Thom Hogan's take on it:

bythom impressions

dpreview preview:

hands-on D600

sadasd

Z8Mania
    I'm eager to read your review/ see your test shots! Congratulations!!

Ditto, the D800 and the D800E have really grown on me, but I confess to being quite interested in Sony's A99 too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Me too but I think its one thing to go for a camera like the RX100 or even the RX1 but now you're talking about buying separate lenses when we already own a selection of Nikon or Canon glass. I think the A99 will definitely get its fair share of sales; and if Sony keeps making these eye raising products, they will find over time there will be more converts.

I already swapped Canon for Nikon, so making the change again isn't that frightening, and Sony has the Zeiss glass - all that remains now is to see how well they test against the Nikon equivalents. If they key lenses I use are better then I really have no choice, for my work I simply have to have the best.
    Andrew Macpherson

The a99 really looks to be a stunner in the "can do it all" category, and the price is aggressive. The lens selection is a bit behind the other guys. They are catching up quickly, and they really have enough to please most anyone.

Who'd have that we'd all be gaga over Minolta! LOL
    thegunguy

agree - Sony is on fire lately, redefining (and creating!) new categories with the likes of the a99, RX1, RX100, and NEX-7

in many ways the a99 has more advanced technology than the D600, better for video too w/ 1080/60 and articulated LCD, plus built-in stabilization - although IQ should be similar to D600, due to using the same 24.3 sensor

"Minolta" - now that brings back memories! still recall a great photography magazine they used to put out ages ago "Minolta Mirror", and the classic SRT-101

hopefully D600 has better day 1 release inventory situation than w/ D800, so i won't have to wait too long for delivery - and also need Adobe to update ACR to read the RAWs

I have always had Minoltas oddly enough, anyone remember the stunning Minolta CLE, it was also sold as a Leica CL. I only sold mine off a year or two ago, had that camera from day 1. I also had a couple of first auto-fucus SLR's from them, just to see what they were like, and also the flash meters we use everyday in the studio are Minolta's too.

Using the Zeiss glass is the thing that really ups the ante for me, and their new 24-70 looks to have a lot less distortion on it than the Nikon one I use as my prime, but it is a huge step better than the Canon one I lived with for years.

You can see some really nice footage shot with the a99 here, it doesn't really show peak quality, but it does illustrate well the lack of distortion on the 24-70 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FBJI_wVtDl8
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    COOL! Thats just my point though, a pro like you will make the move because you have to. Hobbyists might stick with their legacy glass for a while but this isn't some no name company, its Sony. So they pick off x number of Nikon or Canon shooters every year and soon they will be a bigger player. So long as they keep bringing the excellence. One feature that really doesn't interest me is the video recording- at least not yet- why do I think those are going to be "famous last words"...

I really like that Sony is using the Zeiss glass. I just noticed today that f2.8 on the Nikon 24-70 has some serious vignetting.

the D600 is sitting on my desk right now (it uses a different battery type than my other Nikons, so will have to charge battery 1st before playing)

this is the 6th Nikon DSLR model i've bought, and the 1st one i awaited w/ mixed feelings, since it is a step down in some areas (and i can't say i care much for the look of it either)

so... this little guy will have to work hard to win me over!

here's a good start though: i see it just posted the 3rd highest score ever on the DxO Mark database (just behind the D800E and D800)

Nikon D600 sets high bar for sensor image quality

some busy work weeks ahead of me, so may be a while before i get time to do anything other than a few casual snaps

Z8Mania
    Sweet! So here is a question- if these others have superior sensors, whats the reason for the D4? Is it just the faster frame rate in burst shooting mode?

Weather sealing and control layout. The crazy good Sony sensors will come in the D4X.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Newer, better, faster, bigger (or smaller), etc. I guess they have to keep them coming. But lately it seems the improvements coming are really that good.

Z8Mania
    Some interesting observations here:

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d600/vs-d800.htm

i ignored the "never-use-a-brand-new-camera-for-a-once-in-a-lifetime-event" rule and initiated the new D600 by taking some pics of the Endeavour L.A. fly-over earlier today

the haze/smog and dancing heat waves most apparent in the shot against the light

i took the Marina shot on the same outing (an homage to all those crazy 5,000 piece puzzles!)

Great shots!!

Oddly enough I broke out the old Canon today because it has a much longer lens than the Nikon (I never really use long lenses so didn't get one for the Nikon) and it also seemed really suitable that it's last shots with me would be of the Endeavor on it's last fly by. Sadly from my perspective it was really a long way off, but the trusty old Canon and the 135 with the 2x tele converter had the power to resolve it.

Andrew Macpherson

excellent!

i think in your image the haze worked in your favor, making the iconic downtown skyline more abstract, and directing the focus to the shuttle, catching the unfiltered sunlight

who needs a telephoto lens anyway with these high resolution sensors we have nowadays?

Z8Mania
    Really awesome shots. I've always loved the space program and the shot of the marina is really fantastic.

Some recent D600 shots

I previously posted some pix of Endeavour in flight, and went to check it out 'in captivity' this weekend (California Science Center)

They have a nice educational section you pass through before you see the shuttle (in its temporary digs) - my boy enjoyed the zero G space toilet demo!

They are also currently showing Hubble 3D in IMAX at the same location, featuring impressive 3D footage of the Endeavour's amazing Hubble repair mission.

I'm shooting mostly w/ the D600 nowadays, and have come to appreciate some aspects:

- great image quality
    - you can bracket in > 1 stop
    - shutter sound (you may laugh, but I LOVE the gentle, soft sound - all my prior Nikons had aggressive, metallic 'clacks') it all adds to the 'feel' of the camera

Very cool, the shots and the bird!
    Andrew Macpherson