Thread: Need suspension advice

Need suspension advice

Hey guys I need some help.

I have my car in the shop having the dash replaced (delaminated badly) and decided that "while they're in there" I would have the suspension upgraded.

As I don't want to do the full Alpina solution (new wheels & tires and all) I am looking for suggestions on what are the best non-Alpina upgrades.

The car already had Dinan springs and the PP installed when I purchsed it.

I can do the Dinan caster plates and H&R roll bars as the Dinan roll bars are long gone. Should I replace the struts? If so with what?

I don't really know if there are any other struts that would work, the caster plates and H&R swaybars would be a good addition for sure.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Do you really need the Alpina wheels for the Alpina suspension? Id go with that though you'd be replacing the Dinan springs. Make sure to get the Alpina European suspension. And you'll want the sway bars as well as the Dinan caster plates.

That's very true, you can add the wheels (and brakes) later.
    Andrew Macpherson

I thought you had to do the 20" Alpina wheels if you wanted the full benifit of the Alpina suspension. Thats the primary reason I didn't consider it as I have 18" HRE wheels (as well as the stock ones) and new PS2s.

What all is included in the Alpina suspension?

Just the springs and struts if you get the fully EU kit from Peter Pan, and for sure you'll want the sways and casters to o with it, then you'll have an awesome package. Are your HRE's wider than stock?
    Andrew Macpherson

Where is the best place to buy the Alpina struts & springs now that Dana is no longer with Peter Pan?

Who's new contact for parts at Peter Pan?

Matt Carver is the head Z8 Tech in the service, and our main contact there - 650-204-7559
    He'll give you the correct contact for the EU spec Alpina struts & springs.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Just installed the complete suspension upgrades and it's definitely a worthwhile improvement.
    Alpina wheels
    Alpina package - springs + struts
    Dinan casters
    BMW Performance

Excellent! It turns the car from very good into something near-perfect. Much more controlled, less roll, more detailed and tighter responses.
    In the words of a friend - it's exactly the way the Z8 should have been made.

Yes! You are right. Sway bars too? They make a big difference.

DSC Off
    Norcal -

You have a PM.
    Thanks.

- Hunter

With the demise of the Dinan adjustable sways you can get stiffer ones from H&R which will certainly help minimizing roll.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Hmmmmm ... thank you.

I have spent some time with the Alpina Wheels, Euro suspension, BMW Performance Package, Dinan Casters, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. The improvement over stock is significant, as many here have reported. I am quite happy with the results in all areas - and also the fact that the setup retains some good degree of comfort. There is none of the harshness that the M3 likes to feed back.

I am not finding much roll at this point. While it is not right there with the best of its track-ready brothers like the M3, 1M, etc., in this regard, it is quite good.

What is gained with the further addition of sway bars, from any manufacturer?
    Thanks.

Could someone please post the part numbers item by item for the euro Alpina suspension setup. I would really appreciate it.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Andrew Macpherson