Thread: Monterey 2012

Monterey 2012

Andrew/Norcal, Are you planning on going? If so we look forward to meeting up this year. We are planning to go up on Wed to catch the Carmel street show
    Kevin

Norcal and I are heading down Friday. Should be a blast.
    Richard Armstrong
    Alpina 134/555
    #62178 Silver // Black

Hope to see you guys at the races tomorrow, Saturday. I will park at the BMW CORAL.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Another great year in Monterey. I was only there Friday and Sat. but it was jam-packed with activities and cool cars everywhere! This year was unusual, in that I connected with an Alpina owner/board member from Oklahoma (E92 M3 Owner) who had never been, and I had never met. He flew out to San Jose, and I picked him up on the way south, early Fri. am. I had access to all the events, and could show him the ropes... he provided an awesome room at the downtown Marriott. We hit a number of events, and hung out with my growing group of "regulars".

Concorso Italiano (non-italian exhibitor) all day friday, cruzed all the auction cars in the evening, over to Carmel for cocktails at the home of an ex Z8er and Porsche friend, into carmel to meet friends, then back to Monterey for cocktails and late night Pizza with Phil (Goorioles) and "The regulars". Up early Sat. and met up with about 10 friends on our way to the Historic races where i had my car again on the grass at the Mothers? Display rig. Was able to visit with Christian and Ulie (ZAchterbahn) in the BMWCCA tent (his red car looked awesome). I left for home after the races, but Richard stayed on for a night of auctions etc (more drinking!), and some Pebble Beach in the am before catching a flight home.

As always, days were long... up at 6, and bed by 2am. Richard was like a kid in a candy store, as it was all new to him. But we hardly scratched the surface of everything Monterey has to offer.

I'm still so impressed by the kind of people attracted to the Z8. I would never consider a "Blind date" with other people, but I have come to trust my instincts when it comes to our Z8 community. My instincts were right. Great guy who is in it (Alpina/Z8) for the right reasons. He plans to ship his car out next year for all the festivities.

I didn't shoot may pics. Just a few here. The first is Richard at Concorso with some cool, yet odd little car (it was later honored with an award).

Richard: I know you shot a bunch of pics. Please post some, and perhaps a bit of Corkscrew video!

Sorry to miss it, looks like a great year - as always!! :-))
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

After four years in a row, it felt good to skip, but with Norcal's report I'm getting re-energized for next year.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

I can't say I ever get tired of it. I could have used another day or two

Wow. What a great trip and even better camaraderie with new friends. Spent the most time with Ian "Norcal" and Phil but also met several other Z8 owners. The first two days I was chauffeured in Norcal's awesomely modified Z8 from event to event. We were the only Z8 on display at Concurs Italiano.

In the Mother's booth at Leguna Seca we were told, at the end of the day, Norcal's Z8 was the most photographed car in the booth all day. Met ZAchterbahn in the BMW Corral tent with some Spaten beer and his beautiful red Z8 on display next to a Z1. Sunday at Pebble Beach was good but not near as much fun in the plain white rental car I changed too after Norcal had to head home.

Norcal I can't say enough about you picking me up and letting me ride shotgun all weekend. I probably would not have come otherwise, and even if I did it would not have been near as much fun or memorable. You really know your car history and I learned a lot of new cars and facts because of you. Thanks for making my trip extra special.

I am very much looking forward to bringing my Alpina out next year if BMW is the marquee manufacture.

I took 253 photos so it is going to be impossible to show them all. I will try and narrow it down to the top ten.
    Pic 1 - Norcal and his beautiful black Z8
    Pic 2 - Norcal's big Brembo brakes
    Pic 3 - After party at Ed's house and his pistine Porsche 911 Targa.
    Pic 4 - McLaren F1 sitting in front of the Marriott all weekend.
    Pic 5 - ZAchterbahn's beautiful red Z8 on display in the corral area.
    Pic 6 - Concept Pagani Huayra
    Pic 7 - Stock BMW M1
    Pic 8 - Vintage racer M1
    Pic 9 - Vintage racing E30 Batmobile
    Pic 10 - Norcal admiring the brushed Cobra.

Richard Armstrong
    Alpina 134/555
    #62178 Silver // Black

My pleasure! It was a great weekend, and fun to have a victim... er... navigator. Thanks for posting pics, as I hardly took any.

Hey Ian, she cleans up real nice!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Thanks, for me, the silver grill really makes it.

Z8Mania
    Awesome. I love it. Thank you for the pics and writeup. I may be in the minority but I wish the site would allow higher res images.

We can totally do higher rez images, they are currently set based on what Google Analytics says is our most common visitor monitor size info.
    Andrew Macpherson

i reset it to a 1200px wide max, but I won't be changing the Gallery as that would take a month or more to update!

Andrew Macpherson

Wow! Looks amazing.