Thread: Anti-sway bar, or suspension first?

Z8 Novice

Question Anti-sway bar, or suspension first?

I've just purchased a 2002 Z8 and will add the S03 tires this weekend.

I'd aprpeciate any recommendations or comments on what to add to the car, next, for "spirited" dry/foggy road California coastal hills driving: Anti-sway bar kit (Dinan or AC Schnitzer), or the AC Schnitzer suspension kit.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kbz80
    I've just purchased a 2002 Z8 and will add the S03 tires this weekend.

I'd aprpeciate any recommendations or comments on what to add to the car, next, for "spirited" dry/foggy road California coastal hills driving: Anti-sway bar kit (Dinan or AC Schnitzer), or the AC Schnitzer suspension kit.

Thanks!
    First of all, congratulations!

When I bought mine as a new car, the thing the mostly disturbed me were the tires, and you are going to fix that right away. The next one was the rolling of the car, which can be controlled by the sway bars. The ACS setup lowers the car and makes it a bit stiffer, another step forward.

ACS doesn't offer a sway bar kit as far as I know, most people have the one from Dinan, i guess.
    Of course, the best would be to do both at the same time, however, I would probably go for the ACS kit first, which will give you a car that is much easier to handle. The sway bar upgrade is then a very easy next step.

Have fun with your new car,
    Dieter

Z8 Novice

Thanks for the recommendation

Thanks for the recommendation, Dieter! I appreciate any other members experience, especially with the Dinan vs ACS anti-sway bar.

Thanks!
    Kerry

Dieter's suggestions are exactly the things I did....

and in the order I did them, with each step I found that the car's handling was improved.

Since you are in CA I would suggest considering the complete Dinan suspension upgrade package, as you'll get a more compliant, backroad friendly ride than with the ACS kit. (The ACS kit is also very hard to find now, CEC Wheels in LA are the official importer, but don't stock anything for the Z8 anymore.) I loved the ACS kit at the track, but it was really jarring on Highway 1, and the little lanes around the coast and mountains.

The Dinan kit has camber plates, so you can set the prefect -1.5? all round that really suit the car best for serious back road and track work, and the swaybars will really level out the ride, and eliminate passenger motion sickness.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Thumbs down Thanks! And more questions...

Thanks, Andrew, for your recommendation. The various postings seemed to support tires, suspension, then sway bar, and I'll start with the tires tomorrow.

I'd like to add the homelink for my garage door. The shop *thought that it should mount to the hard-top, but the space was not obvious. Do you have any recommendations for placement of the homelink or, perhaps, I should just use the glove box to store my present hand unit?

Also, I asked them to program the key to store the specific-key personalization of mirrors and seat position. However, I can more the seats wtih one key, and placement of the second key does not return them at all- no motion of anything. The manual references this capability. Do you have this function working? aAny advice, except harassing the shop, again?

And more... Do you start out in second gear for nomal city street driving? I tend to use frist then third, but am now starting to prefer second then third or fourth. The engine seems to have plenty of torque, though I always worry about stressing it at low revs (under 1800-2000).

And more... Are these cars high theft items? I decided against the lojack device, but the amount of attention from gawkers on my trip up to SF from San Diego now has me reconsidering.

Thanks, anyone, for your comments!
    Kerry

In answer......

The best order for upgrading would be tires, sway bar, and then suspension if you're still not happy.

I bought a small homelink from my local hardware store, and programmed it for my gate and garage door. It is small enough to live in the ashtray, which I find perfect.

I have no knowledge or experience with key programming, since no one but me ever touches my car it isn't an issue.

I try never to drive in the city, but when I do I just use the gears as normal. I've always found the gaps between 1-2-3 a little imperfect, but I guess I've just learnt to live with it now.

I don't think these cars are high theft items, I haven't heard of one being stolen as yet, but you always have to pay attention and be smart in SoCal, as anything can be stolen at anytime. I also decided against the lojack device as my car lives in a secure compound, and I never leave it parked anywhere out of eyesight.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.