Thread: The other toy

The other toy

I was thrilled to find this section of the forum and enjoyed reading about others' experiences with 2-wheeled toys.
    I, too, enjoy a good bike ride whenever I can. I've owned many bikes over the years and had the privilege of working in my brothers' bike shop back in Canada, the only authorized Moto Guzzi and Benelli dealer in Montreal at that time. I drove everything that came through the shop and loved every minute of it.
    We also were lucky enough to employ legendary Ducati tuner, Guy Martin, who helped fuel my love for Italian cycles.
    Whenever I can, I'll take the Page Mill/Skyline/Woodside loop on my bike. It's great for the psyche but tough on the tires!
    The pics are a bit old and I've added a full race Termi exhaust since then. It's a nice complement to the Z8

-Jimmy C

I love the trail bike riding position of the Supermotards, it suits me so well, making the bike so comfortable and easily manouverable in all conditions. I must be getting old because don't really enjoy the crazy lean forward crick in the neck stuff anymore.

Here's some snaps of me and my oldest riding partner from last weekend up on the Angeles Crest. We celebrate forty years of friendship next year and thirty five of riding together. We met at school and both moved out here to get all year riding! :-)

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Great pics! Love the look of the HP2. I found the GS to be a bit heavy so imagine the HP feels completely different (must be lighter, I imagine).

I, too, find the positioning of the Supermotards preferable to the racers of today. If I recall correctly, the racers of yesteryear were not as forward-leaning as they are now. Certainly not my old Z1, GPZ, or Commando. But, I guess an old Ducati SS would be close.

When I was looking at new bikes, the light weight and torque of the Hypermotard swung me. No regrets at all
    -Jimmy C

Great pics. I sure am envious of the twisties too!

Just completed my latest project. Ended up being pretty much a total rebuild.

I'm kind of with you with the more upright riding position. I was going to go with a cafe look but the riding position was just too comfortable in town with the flatter bars so I just kept them. (I removed the US spec high bars and installed these the lower narrower UK spec).

I am now looking for my next project. Still got an itch for a 900ss... but am having to temper it given the prices they are now commanding. Even in a recession these are still trending up.

Wow, that looks stunning, I remember my dad riding one of those when I was a boy, it looked just like that! I love the look of the SS too, but I also love the round case Guzzis and of coure the Laverda love never fades, did you see this story?

Jimmy, I have the Megamoto down to around 370lbs junking the stock exhaust for a lightweight Remus one, and taking off a few unneeded bits, but even stock it was just 395lbs.
    Andrew Macpherson

Great looking classic Commando. I love the way they ride and agree with your handlebar choice. Enjoy!

Andrew, the weight is right in the sweet spot, in my opinion. There's nothing like throwing around something that feels like a big bicycle :-)
    How do you like the sound of the Remus?
    My Hyper was 390 dry when stock. It's probably 10 or 15 lbs less now. The Termi can be a bit much without the DB killers installed. When I have them in, however, it's too tame and kind of whopee cushiony (technical term). I ended up machining a couple of custom inserts that are better, but not yet perfect. Always nice to have a project :-)
    -Jimmy C

The Remus is almost perfect, it isn't really loud, but there's enough sound to make the bike feel authoritative and to let you know what the engine is doing. I'd had a Remus Ti exhaust on my old R1200S and that really was too loud, it would wake up the neighbors, which isn't a good considering I usually ride at 5.30am on a Sunday, However this one is just right.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    ..., did you see this story?
    I hadn't - thanks for the link. Sweet bikes. With all the Laverdas in your past did you ever get to ride the 750 sfc? On the track?

We just got back from a trip to the UK an I had the chance to drop in to Made in Italy Motorcycles (www.madeinitalymotorcycles.com). They have a nice original V7 sport that I wanted to take a look at. Unfortunately within seconds I realized it wasn't going to work as I was way too tall - my knees were resting outside the heads... They do look magnificent when shot from the front with the V of the engine peeking out.

There were some outrageous bikes in his showroom. Including a totally original 900ss with just a few thousand miles on it which was not for sale.

Wow, thats a great shop with some awesome stock, fun things to look at for sure! I have never ridden any of Laverdas big twins, only the 500 Montjuic, which was high strung hectic and mad fun! Oddly enough this one that I saw at the Quail has just come up on EBay, its here in San Diego.

Andrew Macpherson

Just wanted to share some pictures of what has just been made for me.

Very nice indeed, tell us a bit about them!!
    Andrew Macpherson

The upper one was made on the base of Ducati GT1000 for me last year by one italian customizer.
    It had a number of technical upgrades (for example - ohlines suspension, custom made zard exhaust, wheels and etc) and it was thoughtfully redone on the appearance, I wanted it still to be as practical and suitable for everyday use as possible. It was done perfectly.
    The second one was done on the base of properly tuned 1098R. I wanted to have a proper cafe-racer. It is not yet complete (the front fairing is not ready yet), but would be soon. May be it wasn't the best idea to use a 1098R as a donor, but it was all I had for such kind of work.

Show us some pictures when its done too! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

This was mine. It started with the idea of buying a Vespa for commuting to work. I ended up with this Italian beauty instead.

2002 Silver/Black