Thread: Finally! The car came home last night!

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Finally! The car came home last night!

Thanks to all on this board, the PP kit went in with no problem;now get rid of the RFT's; took this guy a little longer BUT the hood closes with no problem; looks very neat, he said I was way more worried than he was...anyway what I note and want an opinion is that the hard top color, in silver, Titanium does not quite seem to match the body; now with that said I know this car was one of several cars for this elderly man,including a M5 that was his daily driver, he was a doctor here in Atlanta, the odometer was at 6152, and the top was stored and not in use when I went to see the car. I have found old service records in the glove box going back to the beginning and I find no record for paint or body shop work, and BMW does not show any.Seems he would go there vs. an indy shop but who knows, I ask first are the tops likely sprayed OFF the car not on the car; second, is it my eye in that the car is being viewed horizontally BUT the top does not connect exactly in the same line and the eye views it in a more vertical plane,shadows and such, this has me worried but it might just be the way it is;the PPI did NOT reveal any body work or over spray etc., am I nuts or is this a common note from some z8 owners, I hate to hear your answers, I am scared...dogdoc

The tops were made at an outside supplier, and many of the early cars actually had their hardtops shipped later because they weren't ready when the cars went to market, though I think that only affected the first 2-300 cars, so they should have been caught up by the time they got to yours. I have never noticed a color difference in my silver cars & tops, so maybe the top itself was resprayed because of some damage that happened either in shipping or storage?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

interesting....

who knows, maybe just me noting it, thnx!

Z8Mania
    Its also possible the car's paintwork has faded a little due to being exposed to the elements while the top has been sitting on its stand in storage all this time. Either way... Congratulations on bringing her home!

thanks and I thought of that today...

the top was never used as I think the car was outside sometimes and was registered in Florida for awhile, in any event it is the MOST wonderful ride I have had in a sports car; I loved my Maserati but this is indescribable...

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    I would not be too concerned about the top. If your car has original body and paint work, your investment is in good shape, especially considering the great deal you got on the vehicle.

Enjoy!!!!
    2003 Z8
    2019 GT3 Touring

and if you're like the vast majority of us the hard top will almost never be used Ours has only been on twice in 10 years lol.

hey guys thanks!

I need to try and get you guys some pics; I just hate trying to do it; I have used photobucket before, the joke is I can cut up your dog and put him/her back together but I cannot do things on the computer too well. As far as the top my brother agrees with Lisa and says "who cares", with our weather here you will hardly ever use it, but I do like the lines on it. I feel like a celebrity; got the "thumbs up" last night, asked at the gas station what was it, one gal asked me if this was a "new model" and the kid today said his dad bought one of these "new last year"...its funny, I just wanted the car, didn't know all the popularity would be part of it,lol, thanks guys and yes Zmania with the deal and the low miles I cannot complain! max(dogdoc)

The Z8 is such a loved car, so get ready for the attention. Very few know what it is, yet they instinctively they adore it! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Im sure there is no shortage of members here that would be willing to help you with your pictures. Kudos on the car, it is truly a modern classic. Its very rare to have a modern car that is actually truly collectible.

Congrats on the getting her back. Re: PP, I'd go out tonite and test the lights to be certain they are adjusted properly to maximum range, same w/hi-beams.
    Silver is a very difficult color to match, especially on rounded surfaces w/light reflections. I had been keyed once on my Silver 911S and I went thru this excercise but was confounded as in bright sunlight it was indeed a match otherwise it appeared off. I lived w/it.
    Good luck,
    js

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc97 View Post
    ... but I cannot do things on the computer too well. ... max(dogdoc)
    Haven't noticed that. You seem pretty prolific on a keyboard.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Dirk, (Unrelated) how about we org. a Fla Z8 trip to Collier Museum this Fall/Winter?
    [email protected]
    jim

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Dirk, (Unrelated) how about we org. a Fla Z8 trip to Collier Museum this Fall/Winter?
    [email protected]
    jim
    I am in. Anytime.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Sometimes the top color can be a tad off especially on silver cars. Unlike the body of the car which is made of aluminum the hardtop is made out of a composite material. I have owned every kind of car you can think of and yet every time I take the car out it never ceases to amaze me how much attention it gets, the Alpina even more so if that is even possible.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Jim I noted that, thnx!

I told them to align the lamps; the right one seems to be in a farther more rectangular pattern, also...I am freaked that my new lamp replaced by BMW at no charge has lines in it like wet fluid? I called today and was told to just bring it back that parts and labor were covered, it almost looks like cellophane wrinkle lines or water?????????????? As far as the top I noted today on a sunny day that the top looks identical to the hood from the dead center of front but when I stand on the side the top looks darker; I suspect since this guy was in his 70's and lived alone I doubt the top was ever taken on and off , it was in a garage when I found it so maybe the car has just faded over 10 years. Dana at Peter Pan shared with me that many folks dropped the tops on those pointy corners and so many had to be repainted but this guy seemed to anal so it may just be fade;Dana told me new top is....$12K! I may have it redone, I am more anal,lol and I will take the computer comment as a compliment, thnx all!

A paint thickness gauge can quickly solve the mystery.
    2003 Z8
    2019 GT3 Touring

You know great idea!

DID NOT THINK OF THAT! thnx!

I'm not sure what color my top is. Aren't they all silver with the Z8 logo in the middle of the roof?
    thegunguy

"aliigned" lights should not look exactly alike as the left one has to be lower to not shine in oncoming driver's eyes

My hardtop has never seen the light of day. It's stored away in the basement. In terms of hardtop color not matching the car , many of today's waxes have fillers/additives that can warm up the color of the paint... just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc97 View Post
    ... it is the MOST wonderful ride I have had in a sports car; I loved my Maserati but this is indescribable...
    I guess now you can see why many board members suggested you wait on on applying all the mods (except PP and tires) you were wanting to do. The car is a joy in itself with very little required to get the most out of every mile - to include the extra attention you receive.
    Congrats on your new investment and getting the car back with a correctly installed PP.

yes makes sense to me now...

you guys and gals know this car, and thnx for the continued support! max

Z8Mania
    This is what you get with a car thats kind of vintage- theres a knowledgable group of enthusiasts that keep it going. The Z8 offers many benefits of the vintage experience without the steep getting in price. Its a great great great car. Don't sell it.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Paint thickness gauge won't work on the hardtop because the gauge will only read steel or aluminum. The hardtop is a composite material.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Didn't know that, but makes perfect sense.
    2003 Z8
    2019 GT3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    This is what you get with a car thats kind of vintage- theres a knowledgable group of enthusiasts that keep it going. The Z8 offers many benefits of the vintage experience without the steep getting in price. Its a great great great car. Don't sell it.
    ...and no Lucas electrics etc!

Or Smith gauges. There's a pattern there somewhere.
    thegunguy

final opinion on top.

So in Atlanta we have a company called SOCO(southern colors) and the guy hwo owns it, Tommy has painted according to his records over 300,000 units, including boats,planes and high end cars. He does work for Ferrari of Atlanta to name an fexample. I called him to touch up a few spots that were on the car; he took one look at the top on the car and said, "it's off BUT its original"! He then went on to tell me that paint will "lay down or embed at different rates and layers and that metal flecks as this silver has is very hard to match;and as one of youmentioned that the top material will take different hues than the aluminum body; he noted that when you have a silver car it is one color that needs to be blended to another totally fine panel vs. a job that lets say the door is dented and needs repair; in another color you might be able to just paint the door and not blend to the rear panel for example
    And I just looked at some Z's for sale on cars.com....2 silver cars with tops on, and they look like mine, not quite a match so I am not going to worry about it anymore...now just enjoy driving. My brother wants he and I to take our z's to the north Georgia mtns this weekend...........let you know how that is!Max

Great, and take some pictures for sure!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Would love to see some pictures.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    Paint thickness gauge won't work on the hardtop because the gauge will only read steel or aluminum. The hardtop is a composite material.
    I was very surprised a few years ago while taking a look on a damaged hardtop. It was a aluminum space frame with a PU foam system (with glass fibre) and a PU coating to act as the exterior skin.
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

So would you agree different composites means different laydown of paint?

I would think as my paint guy said that that in itself will give a different hue or tone to the color, we are painting two different materials...just a thought....dogdoc

Perhaps, but then why do the FRP parts (bumpers, dash etc) seem to match, vs all the aluminum panels? ....yes, I know YOUR dash doesn't match!

Good point!!
    Andrew Macpherson

My dash?

I have no issue with my dash? Max

On the silver cars the dash & interior plastics are is painted a darker (Sterling?) silver than the Titanium Silver of the rest of the car.
    Andrew Macpherson