Thread: A recent addition.

A recent addition.

Andrew,

I have a feeling that you might recognize this particular marque.

It took a long time to find this one - they are pretty hard to find in the States. She's a bit of a beast but I'm loving it!

It sure does put a huge smile on my face when she fires up.

Carl.

Wow, good for you!! I love the big Italian triples, and had many of them back in my UK days, 2 x 3CE's, a Jota 180? like yours, a Jota 120? and this Saxon racing 180? 1200 Jota conversion.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I thought it might have been your comment on bikeEXIF. It really is a small world this internet.

The Jota was my dream bike when I was biking back in the UK.

Having had such an enviable history with all those Laverdas surely there must be room for one in your garage.

Your Saxon 1200 Jota was an amazing looking machine. It looks like the only thing kept from the original was the engine - how did it ride in comparison to a stock bike?

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Wow, good for you!! I love the big Italian triples, and had many of them back in my UK days, 2 x 3CE's, a Jota 180? like yours, a Jota 120? and this Saxon racing 180? 1200 Jota conversion.
    Andrew, this is an article about you and you cut it off. What's up with that? Come on post the article so we can read it.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

The Saxon was just incredible to ride. In its day there was nothing that handled like it, but its day was twenty years ago, and now any 600 Supersoprt would make it seem like a bit of truck. Oddly enough the HP2S has remarkably similar handling, just better, newer faster etc, with its paralever front end and super rigid frame. From memory I think the Saxon weighed in at around 440lbs and made 125hp, the HP2S is 400lbs and makes 128hp, so that gives you an idea of how far ahead of its time that bike was. If Laverda had made it I would venture to say they'd still be in business.

I actually bailed on the Laverdas because nobody here in the US knows what they are, or can keep them running. They were the bike in the UK, a real cult classic that had almost no following here in the USA. Oddly enough the Ducati 900SS which is the cult classic here was the bike that the Laverdas were always thrashing on the racetracks of Europe. I'm not sure why they never became populare here?
    Andrew Macpherson

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    Congrats. Lovely bike. I'm new to the world of motorcycles and am loving every little bit about them that I come across.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

Carlos, I didn't mean to cut off the story, but that is a jpg I had in the system that combined two stories on my bikes that Motorcyclist mag did back in the day. The jpgs remain, but the mags are long gone!
    Andrew Macpherson

Carlos, I didn't mean to cut off the story, but that is a jpg I had in the system that combined two stories on my bikes that Motorcyclist mag did back in the day. The jpgs remain, but the mags are long gone!
    Too bad. I figured it would make for some interesting reading. I remember seeing a couple of Laverda's in my College riding days. I rode a Kawasaki 750 triple. Fast as the wind, but hell on the twisties.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

The big Kawasaki triples were really outrageous...

... one of my neighbors had a 500 with expansion chambers and my god the noise was something else. I renvied that one as my bike at the time was the baby triple the KH250.

I saw one last year during Key West bike week, a real breath of fresh air as there where thousands of bikes in town and 99.9% were Harleys.

I recently saw a 750 for sale on the web. It looked immaculate and they were asking a king's ransom for it. I guess they have become quite collectable.

Quote Originally Posted by biffom View Post
    I recently saw a 750 for sale on the web. It looked immaculate and they were asking a king's ransom for it. I guess they have become quite collectable.
    I've noticed that also. That's another one of those "I should have never sold it" along with my first car a 19701/2 Pontiac Trans Am. But after College, my then girlfriend and now wife gave me my marching orders to "get rid of that damn thing."

There were a few love Kawasaki triples at this springs Moto Classica event. If you're into bikes it was a great event as you can see in my full report here.

Andrew Macpherson

Wow - They are immaculate - look like they just rolled off the show room floor.

The Vincet Grey Flash from your report is one spectacular machine.

Looked like a fun day out.

There were a few love Kawasaki triples at this springs Moto Classica event. If you're into bikes it was a great event as you can see in my full report here.
    Wow, thanks for that. Takes me back to the late 70s; it's College days all over again.

Sport Button On - DSC Off

saw your beauty!

I had a Laverda Executive at one time; had 5 bikes, down to my last one! dogdoc

I had the RGS Corsa for a while back in the UK too, I think was almost the same as the Executive here.
    Andrew Macpherson

A nice post on Laverdas 1974 model line up over on Motorcycle Classics today...

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/wh...da-lineup.aspx
    Andrew Macpherson