Thread: hard top issue

Z8 Novice

hard top issue

First time I've used the hard top. All 4 quadrants tightened and still the warning light on the dash indicates the top is not tight(same light that shows when the soft top is not fully seated). The light flashes at first and then remains off. However, driving with the hard top in place there is excessive wind noise and lots of creaking. How much of this is normal? And, any suggestions on how to solve the issue? Thanks for all input....

Quote Originally Posted by bentz8 View Post
    First time I've used the hard top. All 4 quadrants tightened and still the warning light on the dash indicates the top is not tight(same light that shows when the soft top is not fully seated). The light flashes at first and then remains off. However, driving with the hard top in place there is excessive wind noise and lots of creaking. How much of this is normal? And, any suggestions on how to solve the issue? Thanks for all input....
    Be sure that the soft-top is fully retracted. Any time that I've had the hard-top on, it's been tight and noise-free. Once you confirm that the soft-top is fully retracted, I'd reverify that all seats are locked. They make a very pronounced 'clunk' when engaged. I want to say that they turn a full 90 degrees before the clunk.

As it appears your car is one of the DE "specials", it's spent most of its life with the top on.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Thanks for the immediate reply. I'll remove the top and try your suggestions.

-Ben

Z8Mania
    There should be no wind noise. There can be a little creaking but not much. Wind noise = air getting where it shouldn't. Air getting where it shouldn't = lift. Lift = bye bye hardtop. I've seen it happen to someone else- no one got hurt but it was scary.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Just to chime in with my experience.... when the top goes on, all of the attachment points have a solid clunk when they engage, it is very obvious. I get no wind noise. There is one minor creak in the dash area that is made more frequently heard when the hardtop is mounted.

Here's a hardtop issue for all you guys. I store the top, as most of us do. I wanted to do some top on driving and when I went to get my top (in garage, on stand and covered) to my amazement the headliner has fallen. Still attached in places but ugh. The fix is a reinstall but just wondering if any of you have had same issue and or may have some tips?
    Jim

That's annoying, I haven't looked at mine in years, it's wrapped up in a double cover strapped to the wall.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Here's a hardtop issue ... in garage, on stand and covered ... to my amazement the headliner has fallen.
    Is your garage air-conditioned ?
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

My hardtop headliner has failed too, along with the material on the parcel shelf. I actually use it every winter, although we didn't make it out of the garage much this winter.

Has anyone repaired this on their car yet and have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mine has been covered on the stand for...??? 10 years??? So I have no idea!

My West Palm Beach BMW "dealer" quoted me a price of $2,300 for headliner replacement, thank you. Very annoying on many fronts. So, I (after converse w/numerous experts) carefully scraped & ripped it all out and painted it flat black with sand texture paint. Looks great, it'll never come down again and oh yeah, cost: $20.
    Jim