Thread: AIR BAG dash light "on",

AIR BAG dash light "on",

Anyone had their Air Bag dash red light come on and stay on? No deployment, just annoying? Won't turn itself off, went on, stays on????????
    Thnx, Jim

That's a new on to me, but I'd suggest it is an easy reset either with a Peak tool, or at the dealer.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Seems like I remember seeing something on that in one of the Club's tech articles. Digging...
    thegunguy

Expensive air bag light fix. I'm just out of my dealer who found that my passenger side airbag light on was due to a bad control unit which is located in the driveshaft tunnel and required 5 hrs @ $170. to replace as the interior tunnel had to be removed. Yes, 5 hours !!! Can anyone validate this please.
    Thnx
    Jim 0041

My memory on something similar documented from the Club was off. I didn't find anything.

I had the same issue on my X5 a month or so back. The processor that interprets the signal from the seat mat went bad. In the X5 it was an hour or so job.

Should it be five hours? It's always hard to know what actual time your service guy spends on an issue. Some places charge by actual time to fix your case, while others bill the same time for a repair, regardless of time (unless you go over). The trouble with the Z8 is that so few techs have experience with the car. So, many issues are exploratory for them, meaning more time.

Here's the procedure to remove the Airbag Control Unit. Having been in there myself and knowing how tight everything is, added with the desire to go slow to protect the leather/plastic, I could see this being five hours round-trip. However, removing the tunnel doesn't seem to be part of the procedure.

I didn't look it up, but I think there is also a procedure for dis/arming the airbags while working on the system. This is additional time too.
    thegunguy

I personally would not attempt working on an Airbag / SRS yourself. You do have to disengage the battery for one and depending on the model, there may be other steps involved. If you or someone you know is in close proximity to the airbag and it explodes, you or they could get seriously injured due to the explosive nature of them in any situation other than a head on collision. Never mind, the ridiculous cost of replacing one.

I would take it to the closest dealer you have a relationship with and get it serviced.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    I would take it to the closest dealer you have a relationship with and get it serviced.
    Agreed. The OP was wanting validation on his already serviced car for five hours labor to replace the control unit. I posted the procedure to help answer his question.
    thegunguy

Anyone tell me what the outcome was here? I've got the same problem.

I fitted a battery on/off switch a week ago. So its been down powered for around 7 days. I went out for a short drive today and my air bag light has stayed on.

:-(

I would...

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Anyone tell me what the outcome was here? I've got the same problem.

I fitted a battery on/off switch a week ago. So its been down powered for around 7 days. I went out for a short drive today and my air bag light has stayed on.

:-(
    Drive it a couple more times but each time from "cold to hot" engine starts. A number of the engine and other faults that occur seem to be tied to that cycle and if the warning persists after three (3) separate cold to hot cycles, then you need to take it in for service. The airbag SRS probably just needs reset which is very easy to do with the correct tool (special tool required to hook to the ODB port under the hood) but if it persists, I would have the diagnostic ran first, just to make sure there is not something that has failed coincidentally to your recent work.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Oddly enough since this thread started my airbag light is now on all the time too! Haven't put the Peake on it to reset it yet, but I will before our next drive, and see if it stays out.

I did write to Matt @ Peter Pan about it to make sure that there isn't any serious danger, and here's his reply.....

Has the battery run down as there may just be a low voltage fault logged.
    Other possibilities would be a seat belt buckle switch or possibly a resistance fault with one of the airbags. The airbag system has a lot of redundant safety built into it so won?t go off by itself but if (God forbid!) you do get into an accident it could activate all of the devices in the system instead of selectively deploying them based on vehicle occupancy. In other words if it were a ?solo? accident it would blow the passenger bag even though no one is in the seat.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks for that guys, both comments are really helpful.

What model Peake should I get for the car? I think they do an air bag reset and an engine diagnostic version, but which will fit the Z8? Do you have a code number?

Hah, it looks like the one I have is the general diagnostic, not the airbag SRS specific one, so I guess I'll just run my car over to George when I have time, and see what the light's on.

On the Peake ut looks like you might need both if you don't have a friendly local shop to check it out for you.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Just a FYI in case all bags go off- as far as I know they are setup to go off at ever so slightly different intervals so they wouldn't create too intense a change in air pressure and in the process rupture your ear drums. Very early air bag systems have that issue... (not that ours is very early).........

Just as an update, I got a reset whatnot and it's clear as a bell and all lights are out. No problems with the systems at all, and so I presume it was tripped by disconnecting the battery.

Once again thanks to one and all for your input and help!

Nick

Great news! With any dash light, I always go with reset and recheck. The computer can be easily tripped in to a cripple mode with a short-term error. If the car is obviously running rough, etc., that's a different story.
    thegunguy

I've just returned from holiday in the car and have the same problem. I do have a reset tool, but it won't clear. Any ideas how I'd find out what the cause is?

The car was fine in every other way as we travelled 3,800 miles through France and Spain. A real pleasure.

:-)

Oddly enough it turned out my one was caused by a broken wire inside the seat belt latch on the passenger side, so maybe have your dealer run a diagnostic on the safety system, as the seatbelt warning light has many potential causes.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Oddly enough it turned out my one was caused by a broken wire inside the seat belt latch on the passenger side, so maybe have your dealer run a diagnostic on the safety system, as the seatbelt warning light has many potential causes.
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply, but it's the air bag light not the seat belt one thats on. I suspect your reply though covers it.

I was wondering if there was any wiring that may have come adrift around the passenger seat area really. My wife was packing luggage in all sorts of places and had hoped there may have been a socket or junction wiring section that she may have disturbed.

Regards,

Nick

If you have the reset tool (Peake R5/SRS I assume), did you try to scan the codes and see who the culprit might be. The code descriptions are available on the Peake site.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    If you have the reset tool (Peake R5/SRS I assume), did you try to scan the codes and see who the culprit might be. The code descriptions are available on the Peake site.
    I'm afraid it's not a peake tool. Just a very non complicated little gadget that so far has worked!

I'm going to take the car for a service soon and see what the guys make of it there.

I'm pretty sure it'll be something simple.

Thanks for the reply though. All info is appreciated. Next time I'm in the States I'll buy a peake!

:-)