Thread: The Quail Motorcycle Event

The Quail Motorcycle Event

Last weekend was the second Quail Motorcycle event. Most of you here are familiar with the Quail's other motorcar event held in the summer during the Monterey Classic Car Week, and know it is simply the best event of the week, with the $400 tickets often changing hands on EBay for $2,000!

Well the tickets to the bike event are just $65, but there are no booths for private jet sales, or free oysters. However despite the humbler ticket price and food fare, the event was still simply wonderful. They had one of the most interesting selections of machines you could see anywhere outside of the Barber Museum out on the lawn.

This first set of shots gives you the flavor of the event. There were some simply stunning bikes there, including a pair of gorgeous Laverdas, bikes I raced back in my youth, and have a huge soft spot for. Other random highlights were Jay Leno's Jet Bike, and the history of Craig Vetter's company, with his glorious Triumph Hurricane. Kenny Roberts TZ750 flat tracker was there too, and boy what a noise it makes!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

BMW won the Best in Show award with the lovely China Blue bike in the top shot. There were several other stunning BMWs on show as you can see here.

Andrew Macpherson

The Vincent was the ultimate legend of my youth. God rides is a Vincent, and I still haven't. I tried very hard to get my Dad, who had a considerable bike collection, to buy one back in 1980. He baulked when the bidding hit ?1,000. None of the ones in these pictures is valued under $100,000. It's not often you get to say "Told you so!" to your Dad. Ahhh well, hindsight is always 20/20 as they say!

Andrew Macpherson

Ducati were there, and how - they really owned the event being the only manufacturer who bothered to turn up, and they had by far and away the tastiest, most rideable and fun looking sportsbikes on the lawn. I guess they really have claimed the Ferrari spot in the two wheeled world, and they used the event to launch the rather ugly and uncomfy (to me) Multistrada. The Ducati gem was the NCR 'New Blue' at the bottom of these pictures, a $75,000 masterpiece.

Andrew Macpherson

The stunning creativity of Ian Berry and Falcon Motorcycles. If you haven't yet come across Falcon I'm sure you will soon. Ian Berry, who is the teams principal designer and builder, is without a doubt the most tasteful creator of custom motorcycles ever. He chose the Quail to showcase as the world premiere of his second bike with a Triumph motor, the Kestrel. Ian is sitting on it in the top picture just before riding it up onto the stage to collect its award for best custom bike.

Andrew Macpherson

I do hope this event picks up momentum, the tents should be full of vendors, and the there should be far more bike enthusiasts out enjoying the stunning weather in the area in mid May. It is perfectly timed to make for a stunning ride in from anywhere in CA or even AZ, not too hot, not too cold, and before the summer fogs blanket the coast.

Last but not least, my award for bike I'd like to have taken home to put in the living room to sit and stare at every day goes to....

Andrew Macpherson

Wow! So many cool bikes, thanks. Looks like the weather was perfect. Love that tiny, aluminum aero-bubble in the first post.

That was a homage to the 'dustbin fairings' of the 1950's race bikes. The guy who made it makes all kinds of aluminum tanks and bike parts, his workmanship was exquisite!
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks for sharing. It was funny running into you guys Saturday evening in Carmel. What a fun little restaurant. Glad you made it back safe.

Looks like your G10 had a fun trip. What bike did you ride?
    thegunguy

I took the Megamoto, now it has been heavily modded it is just a superb 400 mile a day distance eater. I had Racetech completely rebuilt the suspension as it was pretty diabolical out of the box, and I added an RT final drive ratio to give me 4,200rpm at 85mph, as well as changing the exhaust, adding a live electric tank bag for the radar detector, and loads of other little details.

Andrew Macpherson

Looks lovely. Bikes are so fun to get just the way you want them.
    thegunguy

Andrew,

Great photos of your bike. Where were they taken?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Mostly Carmel & San Simeon, here is our ride home, left at 5.30am to avoid the cars - Highway 1 was totally empty the whole way - perfecto!

Andrew Macpherson

Can't remember when I've seen those roads so free of traffic! Nice.

Traffic was very light all day Saturday.

Thought I noticed San Simeon - looks like same spot where we stopped last April. Love the GSA.
    thegunguy

thanks for sharing the pictures. Glad you liked the NCR. I'm hoping they start work on my bike soon. It's going to make the New Blue look cheap and ugly. But you have to be patient with Italians...

You lucky lad! What are you having them make?
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    You lucky lad! What are you having them make?
    It's a one-off custom. Like an NCR Mike Hailwood TT, but lighter, more powerful, and better looking. It's really a no compromise implementation of my personal view of the ultimate bike. I'm hoping it will be finished by the end of the summer--will share pictures when it's done.

Wow, sounds superb, can't wait to see it!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Quail

Andrew,
    Thank you for always sharing your great pictures. Loved all the bikes and your ride home.

Pandaman