Thread: hard top receptacle cap

DSC Off

hard top receptacle cap

Does anyone know how to obtain the plastic caps that cover the hard top receptacle holes when the hard top is not in use.
    Thanks,
    LarryG

Yes, call Dana Caldwell at Peter Pan BWW, we have all lost/broken and replaced them many times! His number is 650-294-2123
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Thanks Andrew,
    Do you know the BMW part # for those caps?
    LarryG

No, but Dana will know.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

You can likely find the part number on RealOEM
    thegunguy

DSC Off
    Dana could not find the part in his parts book. I remember reading about this part on this forum.
    Any ideas?
    LarryG

Team Z8

I remember reading about these a long time ago...

If you get a BMW part number please let us know.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    The plastic cap does not have its own part number. If I remember correctly (I am not 100% sure) the cap is attached to the contact piece on top of the hardtop mount on each side. Most of our members found the cap underneath the softtop, dangling on the electric cable. It is almost invisible when not properly attached to the contact piece on top. It is hard to describe but unfortunately I am not able to take a picture because my car is in deep hibernation storage...

The BMW Part number of the contact piece where the plastic cap in my opinion is supposed to be is 54 34 7 011 073 for the left side and 54 34 7 011 074 on the right side. I can not guarantee but I would give it a try...
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

DSC Off
    Thank you very much for the response. I will carefully look in my car for these caps. My car is an early version AH60109 that was shipped without the hardtop. The top was shipped in a crate to the selling dealer. Perhaps the caps were never supplied?
    LarryG

There is a separate part number....

The part is called a Finisher, Emergency Accuating cover and has BMW p/n 5421706408. Usually comes in packages of 2 for around $14.00. This part has changed a bit over the years as the original one for the top had a place to tie a string but now just snap fits in. They tend to break easily so order a couple sets to have on hand for future use. Just so you know, this part is now the replacement for the Finisher, emergency Accuating cover for the central manual area for the folding top (the small cover above the rearview mirror). Originally they were different part numbers but now BMW replaces both with the same part.

Can be easily ordered from you local BMW parts counter at your service center and if a BMW CCA member, they may give you up to a 10% discount on BMW parts if you ask.
    Last edited by Z8doc; January 15th 2010 at 03:21. Reason: correction
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar

I am confused....

Are you sure, we are talking about the same part? I tried to use the part number 54 21 7 064 08 but this is not a correct BMW part number because there is one digit missing. I suppose Jeff is talking about the plastic cap which is used to cover the emergency release holes of the softtop above the windshield. These plasic caps are also used in the hardtop above the windshield and have the BMW part number 54 21 7 064 089 (almost the same?!). You will find a picture of the cap I was thinking of attached.

Best Regards,

Jürgen

DSC Off
    I agree with Jurgen. These caps are oval in shape. Is the receptacle hole for the hardtop round or oval? If it is oval, this may be the correct part #.
    LarryG

Yes LarryG, I left a number off and the one J?rgen was talking about (oval one for the emergency release of the hardtop) is the correct one. The picture he is showing of the cap for the post of the hardtop is not what I think you were referring too?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102