Thread: Motorola CPT 8000

Z8 Novice

Question Motorola CPT 8000

I never got the telephone when I purchased my pre-owned 01 Z8, does anyone know if I can upgrade the system to a new technology phone?

I also never got a phone.

They had stopped making it when I bought the car, and the dealer said they couldn't get a phone, even though it was a new car!

I have never tried to upgrade the system, but I have been told that the new generation of Bluetooth phones will work with BMW's own Bluetooth fittings, and those should be available at your BMW dealer now, or very soon.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information mcfly, i found a new CPT8000 available, do you happen to know if any Motorola CPT8000 would work in the car?

The idea of a Bluetooth system is great, I'm going to check with the local dealer here in Houston.

Giorgio

I think it will....

I know the original phones came with a couple of choices of service provider, Verizon and AT&T I think, but I'm not certain of that.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Unhappy

I checked with the local dealership and they are not offering a Bluetooth for Z8's yet. too bad...

Contact Motorola Tech support......

regarding getting a refurbished phone for the Z8. The phone is strictly digital and if you currently subscribe to a GSM network, you will have to subscribe to the digital service. Caveat here is you may not be able to find "new" digital service in a Z8 compatible CPT8000. For example, AT&T was bought out by Cingular, who is now no longer offering digital service and when it's existing AT&T digital Customers are up for renewal or need a new phone (the old CPT8000 breaks), you are out of luck and your only option through Cingular is to upgrade to their GSM network (for a fee of course!). A refurbished phone is the only way to get a compatible digital phone but beware, sometimes the refurbished ones are not really compatible with who they say ( I went through three different ones even each phone stated on the case they were AT&T compatible). If your digital phone does not break then you can maintain your existing digital service until 2008 (or until Cingular and other Wireless providers see fit to cancel it due to not enough subscribers).

The federal government is phasing out digital service by 2008 as a part of the Patriot Act as digital service can not be monitored as easily is less "traceable" than the GSM service apparently is ....gee. big brother is watching after all (remember the book "1984").

Bluetooth would be nice but the OEM radio/CD/Nav is NOT bluetooth compatible so it is not surprising that there is nothing from BMW. It would be nice if some of BMW's newer radio's would fit but I do not see that one happening anytime soon.

The weird thing about Motorola is that the Tech division can ONLY be reached by mail..... that's right, snail mail. No direct phone or fax or email either. Frustrating dealing with them, especially, if you get an incompatible phone for your trouble. The address is as follows:

Motorola
    North America Hi-Tech Center
    Cellular Door #40
    5555 N. Beach St.
    Ft. Worth, TX 76137
    1-800-331-6456 (this is only Motorola worldwide tech support)

Good Luck -

Z8doc
    Tulsa, OK

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    I was at Peter Pan last night and asked my service advisor about this. Threre is a new kit - BTUM that is (almost) a plug and play - replaces the phone with an adaptor for Bluetooth. The plug is not the same as the phone's and the package has "ATTENTION THIS RETROFIT KIT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: SEE AFTERSALES ASSISTANT. PLEASE PRINT OUT THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS AND GIVE THEM TO THE CUSTOMER" in no less than eight languages, I didn't get a set. I'll keep you posted on how this turns out. BTX, it's around $350 and doesn't require disassembly of the car.

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    The original Motorla Phone was a Timeport 8767 and one of the service providers was also Sprint PCS.

Peter Pan did a great job installing my Bluetooth recently.

They used this system:
    http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=592

It works well with the top up.
    It can catch you by surprise when the system picks up calls when you're driving with the top down. In those case, at anything more than 20 or 30 mph, the called will not be able to hear you.

You can put the top up on the Z8? News to me...
    thegunguy

Yeah. Long and the short of it is that it's a pretty neat extra feature, but not practical in our cars.

Funny thing today; I was getting ready to go somewhere, packing up the trunk. Using my handset, I called Traffic.com for one of my preset trips (also pretty cool, for those who have not tried it). The Z picked up the call and I found myself talking to my car from outside the car.

"Kit" can move over. (Knight Rider for those who don't remember).

Wow......

Quote Originally Posted by Bend View Post
    "Kit" can move over. (Knight Rider for those who don't remember).
    Blast from the past! Wish I still had that 1980 Trans Am I had just for nostalgia purposes.

Ted, maybe you could install a red osillating light for the front too! Man, that would be "far out" (I know, pretty corney huh!)
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

If recall it had about 200 hp from around a 5 liter engine.
    It was a little faster without the decals.
    While 1970 - 72 was the high point for power, the 1980 was a pretty neat design in my book.

Talk about going off tangent from Motorola

Aaaaah yes, but what fun to reminisce!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102