Thread: Bikes at Monterey 'Car Week'

Bikes at Monterey 'Car Week'

This first set of shots is of an entirely US made machine called the Confederate that I saw at the McCall's event at Monterey Jet Center.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

These bikes were at the Custom Car Night at the Baja Canteena in Carmel Valley.

Andrew Macpherson

Bikes at The Quail Lodge Event

The most exclusive and best organized event of 'car week' is The Quail, and they always hae some nice bikes on display, this year with a very strong BMW presence.

Andrew Macpherson

Last day at play, up at Laguna Seca

There weren't a ton of bikes as it was a 'car day' but what there was was very interesting, to me at least! The Egli Vincent is actually a modern reinterpretation of the classic Vincent motored Swiss special, with all the mod-cons including and alternator and electric starter! It was built four years ago by Godet Motorcycles, who specializes in restoring them, but the guy who told me didn't have the whole story as it was his boss's bike. The H-D flat tracker is the real thing!

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Andrew, Thank you for all the great photos. The orange R90s looks just like mine except I was riding mine this weekend.
    Pandaman

Dennis, I was thinking of adding an R90/S to my stable, I always loved that bike! Anything to watch out for?
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off

R90s

Andrew the R90s is still a great bike for moderate sport touring. I have two, a 1974 silver smoke which is nice but not perfect. Then I have the later model orange smoke just like your photo. The orange smoke is darn near as nice as the one you took photos of and both are really fun to ride. I owned a R90s back in 1977 and sold it to one of my best friends in Wisconsin who still enjoys it. A problem that occured recently is that the fuel tank has a plastic like liner from the factory that our ethanol fuel loves to eat and destroy. My friend in Wisconsin has not encountered the problem stating that there premium fuel does not have ethanol. We have one of the best BMW restoration and repair shops around in Fort Worth Texas that was able to correct the problem. Other than that it just goes and goes and always a crowd pleaser. My brother who is also a vehicle nut has never been to Pebble, because of your photos we are planning next years trip.
    Again thank you for the fantastic photos, loved looking at them but made me jealous that I wasn't there.
    Pandaman

Thnx Andrew for posting these great pics. Did you happen to stroll by the MidAmerica 3 day auction up by Retro? There were some awesome old school classic's including a Brough Superior 100ss for $300,000., a 41 Indian 4 cyl for $75,000. and more...much more.
    Thnx, Jim

No, I had a pretty full on schedule as it was, but also I didn't know about that one. The only auction I did was an hour drop by at RM, where I saw a lot of things not reaching reserve. If they do the Quail 2 wheeler event in May again I'll definitely go up for that one.
    Andrew Macpherson

There's a Vincent in an upcoming Top Gear episode on BBC America (already aired in the UK and available by nefarious means to those who want it!).

The guys did a trip from London to Edinburgh using 50s technology.

Clarkson was shoveling coal into a steam train, but James May drove a Jaguar XK120 and Richard Hammond rode a Vincent. He was the least happy! He's too light to actually kick start the thing!

Any other two wheelers thinking about the Quail event in May of 2010? It is such a glorious ride up from LA that I'll take any excuse to head back up to Carmel, and it looks like I may have six or seven other riders too, including one of my old childhood racing buddies from the UK!
    Andrew Macpherson

Contact Philip, he might want to ride down to meet you.

Send me his details, and I'll add him to my bike list.
    Andrew Macpherson