Thread: A return to the fold.

A return to the fold.

My Dad turned fifty when he bought his first BMW bike, an R60/5. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the first in a long line of BMW's two wheelers he, and I had. We did some great family holidays around the north of France on the bikes, and he rode like the wind, always giving us kids a run for our money. He rode almost everyday until he passed at 82.

Lately I'd been missing him a lot, and as you know was thinking about getting an XK140 as a way of sort of reconnecting with his spirit, he always used the draw pictures of XK's when I was a kid, but never had one. Anyhow, I went up to San Luis Obispo to look at a couple of cars, and on the drive back along the magical 58 I passed loads of bikers, and that was when I really started to think that if I really wanted to reconnect with my dad it should be on two wheels, not four.

I'd given up bikes in my 30's because I was worried that they weren't safe, all the usual stuff, but now, fifteen years later I realize I can't live the rest of my life in fear, and close the door on one of the best experiences that is available to us on planet earth. Yes, riding motorbikes really is that good!

Anyhow, I got myself another BMW twin, I'd had many of them back in the old days, but this new one is on a whole nother level. I just got back from my first three hour ride through the Malibu mountains on roads our regulars will recognize, and all I can say is "WOW!!!" The boxer twin has come on a hell of a long way in the time I've been away at the track going round in circles on four wheels.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I love how BMW really go their own way with motobike design. The Megamoto is quite stunning in its unconventionalness (fun word). It's basically an engine and exoskeleton with minimal fairings. I quite like it's minimal appearance in a class of overly aerodynamic bikes. It's just raw.

Cheers on the new ride! Somewhere up there, your dad is smiling.
    thegunguy

I really hope we'll see you back on a boxer again soon!

I have it on confirmed authority that this glorious 'Lo Rider Special' is going to be produced, though with a different name as Harley objected to it, saying it is too close to their own Low Rider name. I'm looking very forward to seeing what it's going to be like, especially if it gets the HP2 goodness!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Simply crazy! I love it!

It's worthy follow up to the 1200C - well, sorta.
    thegunguy

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    What an inspiring post. Thanks for sharing

I don't know much about motorcycles and am afraid of even thinking about one. But, if I ever decide to get something, it would have to be a fancy looking Ducati
    2003 Z8 Black/Red