Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Soft top window thread

Z8 Novice

Rear window cloudy

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with clouding on the plastic window? It is very uniform, and getting difficult to see through on a sunny day. Any history on how BMW treats the problem under warranty?

There was a bulletin that came out detailing that the rear window on a Z8 has a mirror cloud look to it , don’t replace it because that was the way it was made not clear.
    I will look for the bulletin and post it if I can find it. You can probably check with Dana Caldwell at Fremont Bmw

Z8 Novice
    The Z8 rear window was made that way don’t replace
    I have had the bulletin stating that it was kind of reflective

Sport Button On
    Quote Originally Posted by uphguy View Post
    There was a bulletin that came out detailing that the rear window on a Z8 has a mirror cloud look to it , don’t replace it because that was the way it was made not clear.
    I will look for the bulletin and post it if I can find it. You can probably check with Dana Caldwell at Fremont Bmw

I am a little confused. Member “Charles” commented that he was very pleased how his new, clear plastic window made his car look so new again. I suppose the new versions might just be made to different specs than the originals... ?

There's also a plastic rubbing compound that BMW used to sell that makes it as clean as glass, I remember being very surprised by how effective it was. It is no longer available through BMW's website, but this looks like a very similar alternative. https://www.bestop.com/products/best...indow-cleaner/
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Rear window

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaGT View Post
    I am a little confused. Member “Charles” commented that he was very pleased how his new, clear plastic window made his car look so new again. I suppose the new versions might just be made to different specs than the originals... ?
    Yes the new window has a slightly tinted clearer look. It can be very difficult to replace

Sport Button On
    Ok. Thank you (both)!

I had mine replaced with OEM one several years ago and it is clear and easy to see through (as long as you do not have the wind block installed) I use the protector religiously now (did not with first one) when folded and I don’t understand the comments about the window not being clear either. It is.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 110,000+ Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Sorry, did not see this before. The replacement window is plastic, as it has to fold in half when you lower it. The piping is the same on the BMW window replacement as the original. From the pictures on their website nd ebay listing the Cabriowebshop piping is thicker. $1500 is correct, although it retails for more. You have to look around by searching the part number, which you can find on realoem.com, and then calling the seller. Some will only sell if they have in stock (doubtful for the window), or if it is available in the US, or if it is available in Germany. The part number may also be in this thread above. The Cabrioweb window is about 1/3 that cost, but does not have the BMW stamp on the window itself, unless you buy their full replavcment top, which they are somehow authorized to dio via the BMW supplier.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

I bought my car in 2011, and the window was a little yellowed. I assumed it was from the sun. I used a polish on it that was listed on another window thread. I still have it if you need the name. It improved the window, but did not get it completely clear. I could see out of it, but not nearly as clear as the new window. I am not sure I saw a window on a new car. I looked at a lot of used ones before buying, but was focused on a number of other conditions.I have not seen the window be the subject of comments by potential buyers, but others may have.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Z8 Novice
    Thanks, guys!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2