Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Alpina 20" Wheels - The only real alternative stock look?

Yes, but I considered having HRE etched or milled somewhere on the wheel, other than the center (on spoke?) Just not a "loud" as AMG does it.

Z8 Novice
    Is the ride height any different on the alpina suspension vs the “regular suspension?

Ride Height

"Is the [Alpina suspension] ride height any different on the alpina suspension vs the regular suspension?" Yes, it is—or at least it looks like there's an abundance of space above stock 18" wheels and tires! I may finally try the 19" Style 89s.

The EU Alpina suspension is quite different and sits lower, the US Alpina suspension as delivered on the US VIN cars is a mongrel mix of stock Z8 & EU Alpina parts to keep the headlights at the US DOT accepted level for the E52 models.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Wilmette....I'm born ad raised there. The brick roads bring me back. However that wasn't the tell in your picture, eh?

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Wow, I haven't looked at HRE wheels in a few years. I guess the recession is way over with in regard to custom wheels.

$9,000-12,000 per set for a couple of the designs I liked.

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I have to repeat what Andrew says: "The Z8 is such a stunning car that it can carry any wheels, just as a beautiful woman can wear any shoes." But some of the modern Transformer-style designs give me pause....

I will admit, They do look like transformer wheels.

I just don't liket the Alpina wheels much and keep looking at the aftermarket.
    2000 Red over black

Mombacho

I have a set of Alpina wheels if anyone wants to make an offer? In pristine condition.

Z8 Novice
    Strong opinions/recommendations for not putting Alpina wheels on a base suspension. Does it make a difference if the base model has the performance kit? Less pothole concerns...Alpina wheels would be ok? Or still a bad idea?

Consider not using run-flats, tho it is reported they are no longer made of concrete.
    2000 Red over black

The 20" rims should really be pared with the Alpina suspension both for safety but also for a huge gain in overall handing and poise on the road.
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew says, "The 20" rims should really be pared with the Alpina suspension both for safety but also for a huge gain in overall handing and poise on the road." But do remember that there are two Alpina suspensions, one for European roads and one for the NA cars. And BMW NA is not fond of selling Euro components to cars with NA VINs. I think the NA Alpina suspension is probably "softer" considering American roads and low-compliance 20-inch tires. But I find the Euro Alpina suspension to be remarkably compliant on eighteen-inch fourth-generation Bridgestones, even though these are run-flats. So I think it would be sweet on twenty-inch Michelinos.

DSC Off

Cool

Interesting. I own a North American Alpina , a Z8 and a Z8 with the euro Alpina suspension with HR sway bars. Just drove all three back to back. Th NA a Alpina drives great with a very smooth and compliant suspension. The Z8 is fine but a little more nervous then the NA Alpina suspension. The Z8 with the euro suspension is just a little better then the Alpina and a slight lowering of the suspension compared with the Alpina Z8. All have new tires with Z8 Alpina suspension having the latest Mich Pilots. The Alpina suspension cars use the stock 20 inch Alpina rims. All are a blast to drive Even when I am back in Cleveland......

Oh lucky man, and good for you!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Nineteen-inchers!

See my post under Tires & Wheels to see the Z8-style Alpina in a smaller size.

Z8 Novice

Alpina wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Mombacho View Post
    I have a set of Alpina wheels if anyone wants to make an offer? In pristine condition.
    Are your wheels still available? 19' or 20"? Can you send photos?

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2