Thread: Lumbar Support Kit from Aeristo.

Thumbs up Lumbar Support Kit from Aeristo.

This kit is made by the aviation company Aeristo, and adapted from a very popular system used in pilots seats.

"You can adjust the curvature of the support over 1 inch which is a lot. I
    keep mine in zero, straight position.
    You have to play with it for a while to find a setting that is best for you. One thing you should not do is crank it all up immediately. This may feel initially, but you may start feel back pain after a while, so I suggest to all my customers to take it easy and to increase the curvature gradually.
    On an extended trip some people find it helpful to readjust the support from time to time, because this will shift muscle tension and provide relaxation."

For more information, including a full set of fitting instructions email Christian at

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On

Seat support

Hey Mac, Have you beefed up the lateral support or lumbar support with felt again. Just wondering if it was worth the time. I hate to say it but the seats in my M5 are much more supportive not to mention more comfortable. I'm trying to get ready for my 1700 mile jaunt to Santa Fe. May need some sheepskin seat covers as well to prevent mildew build up on my back and rump! Jonny
    Jonny

No, my lumbar support kit is still in the draw!

I've done nothing about my seat, though I do agree it is basic at best. I've left it as standard because I like the look of it, and didn't want to risk messing it up. The seat in the SL is in a different league for comfort, and the GT3 and the Elise's chairs offer way more support for sporting days, but ours has a visual elegance I like.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

Lumbar Support

Help! I drove our Z8 from Seattle to Phoenix and my back is really sore. I tried a back pillow but it didn't do the job. A friend here with a 3 series had a Schukra lumbar support installed in his car and I sat in it and found it to be great. However, the auto upholstery company in Scottsdale said the unit may be too big for my "little" seats. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Richie Meyer

Sport Button On
    I think (this Halfheimer's is a bitch!) I posted a query earlier about whether anyone had installed Recaro's or some other similar seat - it met with no response. I do believe I've seen some custom seats, but they've just been reupholstered. The back pillows are a major pain - had one to use with an M Roadster I owned several years back (seats were truly appalling). If anyone finds a solution, please let us know. thanks!

Mike

Z8 Novice

Thanks

Mike:
    I appreciate your response. Surely there is a solution to the seat problem in what is an otherwise magnificent machine.
    Richie

Lubar Support Installation

Thank you Andrew for putting the word our on our lumbar supports. I will post some installation pictures from my Z8 when I am back in the office next week. It is a fairly simple procedure and the resulting boost in back support and driving comfort is significant.

These units were first installed in Porsche seats years ago and have been further developed along the way. My company distributes them to the aviation industry where you find them in corporate jets. We can offer power units but I recommend for ease of installation and weight savings the plain manually adjustable composite ones as supplied to you a while back.

Cheers,

Christian.

Z8 Novice

Where can I purchase?

Finally you have answered my prayers. Where can I purchase the lumbar support and how easy is it to install?
    Thanks,
    Richie Meyer

Richie,

I will be back in the office on Monday and post photos of the installation steps. Please e-mail your contact info to [email protected] and I will call you to discuss installation.

Happy motoring,

Christian.

Aeristo Z8 Seat Lumbar Support Kit Improved

This is an update on the product Christian has modified for use in Z8?s that his company, Aeristo uses for lumbar supports in aircraft seats. He?s installed the earlier version in both seats of his red car some have you have seen in California drives, and when I saw him install the updated version in his silver car here, I had to have them. He can provide you more details, but suffice it to say that after seeing him install the one on my driver?s side, I was able to install the one on the passenger side.

This is now a metal device that looks like even more like a spine. The main thing it does is provide support for the center of the seat back, but there is a manual control cable with a round handle similar to the first picture in this thread) that you can turn to make it concave, if you need it, to provide even more extra lumbar support.

Takes about 1-2 hrs, depending on how much fiddling you need to do, and how easy the clamshells come off. The seats did not have to be removed, and the only tools needed were a pair of needle nose pliers, a couple of black plastic zip ties (I'd say 18" or so), some snippers to cut them, and some scissors to help cut the plastic bag. Here are the basic steps I used:

1. Move the seats all the way forward, and move the steering wheel all the way forward on the driver?s side using the switch below the wheel.

2. Take off the clamshell. There are two top clips and two side clips that are hooks, and two bottom clips that snap in place. I found the easiest way is to push down of the top two clips to disengage them from the frame. The clamshell is deflected slightly to do this. The side clips come out as you do that. Tilt the clamshell back and the bottom two snap out easily.

3. There are three electrical connectors towards the bottom of the seat, two on one side and one on the other. Unsnap the one on the side by itself.

4. Test the device by turning the cable. You will have to attach the cable to the actuator (insert and lock in place) and the rotating handle. The side that bows in faces the seat, and the cable that actuates it will be at the top. Flatten it back out. Take the handle and actuator back off. Tou may not need to do this if you can see how it fits in the video below.

5. Now that you are oriented as to how it installs, leaving the plastic bag on, slip it from bottom to top underneath the wires and the cables that allow you to release the seat back to get to the cd changer/nav changer, starting on the side you unsnapped the electrical connector. You will need to be careful to keep each of the spine tendrils under the cabling, but once you get it started it slips in pretty easily.

6. The bottom should rest just inside the lower metal frame bar, above and not obstructing the holes where the bottom two clamshell clips will be reattached.

7. Cut away and remove the plastic bag.

8. Sit in the seat and test it for location. You can lower it by cutting some foam at the bottom, but most people, even those with lower back issues, should not need to.

9. Once you have it straight and in the right position, maneuver the cable on the inside of the side of the seat nearest the transmission tunnel, and out through a hole already located near the seatback bottom and then underneath the seat back pivot. The cable should fit smoothly between the tunnel and the seat on the floor.

10. Use a zip tie on the vertical bars on either side of the spine, about one third of the way down from the top, attaching them to a similar sized bar on either side of the seat back, near the outside edges. These are just a precaution so the support does not move left to right, so secure them snugly, without pulling on the bars.

11. Reattach the electrical cord, and the lumbar support actuator and handle. Make sure you can adjust the support without interfering with wires or cable. Not likely to be an issue, but worth rechecking.

12. Reattach the clamshell. I found it easiest to maneuver the top clips under and up behind the top frame bar of the seat, and then the sides go easily in place. Lastly push the two bottom clips until they snap in place. It took a few tries to get the two top clips under the frame, but it worked. This is probably the part of the install that benefits most from having two people.

That?s it, you?re done. Some people leave the actuator and handle on. Others take it off when they have found the right adjustment, so the mechanism is unobtrusive. That adjustment may be no adjustment, as just getting the seat flat may be all the back support you need.

Christian can post info on how you can purchase it and add to what I listed above.

I took a few videos and pictures, but not nearly enough. Here is what your clamshell (yes the top clip came unglued again, but that fix is another post) looks like, and what the back of your seat looks like once it is off.

Here is the Youtube link to the videos I shot when Christian installed my diver's side lumbar support

http://youtu.be/gxcMziCPW5g

Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Whew, another good old thread read today.

Thank you Charles for the nice write up with pictures!

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I still have my original one, but I've never got around to fitting it in!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Cool- good luck with this fellas.

I uploaded the Youtube video (even got 720p, although the upload took hours), and added it to my post above so it would all be in one place. I also made some slight adjustments to the installation instructions. I think I could do a bit better video if the instructions were used as a script and each step was shown, but the upload gives you a pretty good idea of how to do it.

Installation was much easier than I thought, and the improvement in seat support for the back is pretty dramatic.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Charles, thank you for the post and your thumbs up. Looks like we spent most of the time trying to get the plastic bag off the lumbar. It sure was worth it though.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Christian are you still making the lumbar supports? I would be interested in two.