Thread: Smog Check problem

Smog Check problem

Took my 2002 (year) in for a smog check yesterday. Failed initially. No reasons given. The owner of this smog only shop stated that it is "difficult to get these cars warmed up". His solution was to let the car sit for 5-10 minutes to let the "heat spread through the block". He then retested it and it passed.
    Just a heads up if anyone has problems. Sorry no more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Bend View Post
    Took my 2002 (year) in for a smog check yesterday. Failed initially. No reasons given. The owner of this smog only shop stated that it is "difficult to get these cars warmed up". His solution was to let the car sit for 5-10 minutes to let the "heat spread through the block". He then retested it and it passed.
    Just a heads up if anyone has problems. Sorry no more details.
    First of all, did you already take your car in for the recall?

Even then, it appears that these cars are going to be marginal at best. I recommend two things for those of us in California. First, have a pre-test to make sure it passes. That way if it fails, there won't be a record with the State. Second, drive the car for a while (hard if possible) to heat-up the cats. These cars run very cool, which works against us.

For all my BMWs, I call my smog guy and make an appointment to make sure that the car goes right in. If you turn the Z8 off or even let it iddle for a few minutes, the cats will cool and...
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2017 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

After smogging and registering four cars, I'm considering opening my own smog shop...
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    After smogging and registering four cars, I'm considering opening my own smog shop...
    I've done two of them already this year and have two to go. When you're ready to open the smog shop, call me and I'll be your business partner.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --

I am surprised....

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    I've done two of them already this year and have two to go. When you're ready to open the smog shop, call me and I'll be your business partner.
    either you or thegunguy passed considering how "smoggy" your minds were on my 50th in Monterey!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    either you or thegunguy passed considering how "smoggy" your minds were on my 50th in Monterey!!
    Ha! Yeah and Renate tells me that I kept repeating "this is the best 50th birthday I've ever had" like a drunken idiot (which I was). Ah, the memories.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --