Thread: Importing a US car into the EU.

Post Importing a US car into the EU.

Hi, due to the Euro/Dollar Exchange rate i am thinking of exporting a Z8 from the US to the Netherlands. Who can tell me the differences between the European and US models? (so far i have only seen some additional lights on the rear side of the US models)

thanks

The biggest difference today is that you cannot get the correct 2008 pollution confirmation for most of the EU if you try to register a US VIN now, so before considering re-importing a US car you need to look very carefully into the rules and requirements of your country, state and city. There is currently an EU VIN car for sale in the forum, so that one will be your best bet, and you can read all the other differences here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

anyone experience in importing a z8 into the Netherlands?

Andrew, thanks for your usefull comments and links. Is there anyone else who has experience with importing a car to the Netherlands?

Not that I am aware off, but I would find an exotic sports car dealership and discuss it with them, and also double check with the government agency that deals with car registration & permitting on getting an imported US VIN car legally registered. The new 2008 EU pollution laws are very draconian, and make it all but impossible to register a car that doesn't have an EU VIN, though I think there may be some differences in the application of these new laws in different countries.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    In the Netherlands they will look at the original date car was first allowed on the road and check against those emmission requirements. So should not be a problem. Issue will be the lights and will need to be addressed but rest should not be a problem.
    Good luck!

Thanks a lot, that sounds like good news, I will further explore the market. Im looking for a Topaz blue with black interior version.

Have a car on the way to Holland at the moment. Due to arrive in the next two weeks. If you want to will keep you updated.

I think it would be very useful for all EU importers for us to have a shared database on this subject, so Z8Z1-HOOG & jwgerritsen please do let us know what your experiences are with getting your cars registered over there. I'll change the name of this thread to "Importing a US car to the EU" so it can become the place for all who are going to, or who have done this to share their info & experiences.
    Andrew Macpherson

From what I know we need a EC-conformity statement for a 'simple' (5 minute) RDW clearance, but since the US model was never sold in the Netherlands you will have to pass the 'thourough' RDW exam (lighting/brakes/emission etc.), but as Z8-NL stated; it should still not be a problem.

Please do let us know, and also anyone from any other EEC countries please do share your experiences.
    Andrew Macpherson