View Poll Results: Headlamp fogging poll.

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • My headlamps have never fogged.

37 37.00%
  • My headlamps fogged, were replaced once and are still good.

18 18.00%
  • My headlamps fogged and were replaced more than once.

5 5.00%
  • My headlamps are fogged, but I haven't replaced them yet.

40 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Fogging Headlamps

Z8 Novice

Got inside the Light !!!!

Well, well, well........

I finally found and somewhat destructively opened a Z8 headlight unit today. The inside of the Polycarbonate is actually coated with some sort of solution. If I clean it with inert alcohol it becomes very sticky and crystalises. This coating is what is going foggy, not the lens and it certainly doesn't look like a result of condensation build up. Never seen condensation that became sticky!!

I feel sure BMW know all about this problem.....maybe an email to the manufacturer Valeo, will shed some light. The degree of fogging is being caused by the thickness of the coating hence the reason also it looks patchy when seen close up

Regards

David

very interesting. The coating must be an antireflective coating. It probably needs to be polished off rather than cleaned off. I wonder where you could get a new AR coating for something that large. Could look really cool to have a high quality AR coating put on--certainly looks great for watches.

DSC Off
    Wow. Three years since the last post and nothing since on these headlights. It doesn't sound like disassembling them is a viable option. I'm curios if Minimarvel attempted to clean the headlight with anything else before trying the alcohol. Water? Soap and water? Window cleaner? Polish? What if one was to just remove all of that coating with something (polish?) and polish them until perfectly clean and clear polycarbonate? Once taken apart, is reassembly possible? Would it last? I'm still amazed with the amount of dead headlights and spares out there that more attempts have not been made on this project. I look after five of these cars. Four are virtually brand new and never driven. One is used somewhat regularly and shows around 9,000 miles since new. Out of ten potential foggy headlamps, seven of them are. The three that are not are all on the drivers side. Probably just coincidence. Also, among the members who did replace their headlamps, how many replacements have proceeded to fog over and how long did it take?

Gar

Z8 Novice
    Gar,

I found in the end that the inside of the headlights are coated with a form of gel. It is the gel that goes foggy. There is no way to disassemble the headlight unit to repair/clean or remove the coating. In my opinion a design fault.
    If it is of any use, I have one new (clear) Drivers side headlight unit for sale if anyone needs one....

Regards

David UK

Curiously the cars in Europe, which have the same headlamp assembly process, seem far less prone to this issue, but by now most of us here in the US have suffered it. I replaced my passenger side lamp about three years ago and so far both are still good. As far as I am aware the replacement units have not been fogging as badly, but since the mirrors will have you calling Bill Stewart I suggest you also discuss this with him as it is a very well documented issue.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Us the tail lights .....you the headlights
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8Mania
    They get you coming and going!

Oddly enough I also have the tail light moisture on mine, but it isn't nearly as noticeable or annoying as the headlamps.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

No Foggy headlamps ( only a spiderweb inside) but moisture in the (new) taillight.
    Ton

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Hi,

About to finalize a deal on a Z8 but made it contingent on headlights - they are lightly fogged. Andrew responded and mentioned replacement is the only option. Does anyone know if I would have to bite the bullet and buy from BMW, or are there places online that are reputable that carry the OEM part?

If I seal the deal... will post details!

Thx

Hi,

Sometimes you see the headlights offered at Ebay. Personally I would buy them straight from BMW ...at least you know they came out of the BMW stock and you have a 2 years warranty.
    Ton

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Thanks for the quick reply... ya likely will... was just curious. about $2,500 each installed?

In Europe they cost 900 euro each. Probably one hour labor so it will be cheaper than you expect
    Ton

DSC Off
    I had them installed on one car last week, and the installation cost was virtually free as I was having the PP installed at the same time. Headlight removal one of the PP install steps, so it wasn't extra to install fresh ones on the reassembly.
    Doing the same to another one this week.

Gar

If anyone has no use for the fogged headlights being replaced, I could use a set for experimentation purposes. I will gladly pay shipping to Switzerland.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Z8 Novice
    Does anyone have an updated contact information for Bill Stewart? My lights are fogged and as usual I got the run of the mill crap from NA. Take it to the dealer, kneel to Zod, etc....
    I was hoping to contact Bill directly before I waste more time with dealerships.

thanks
    raj

Here you are Raj - he has always been most helpful.

BMW of North America, LLC

Bill Stuart

Executive Customer Care

Customer Relations and Services

B2-US-H-31

P.O. Box 1227

Westwood, NJ 07675-1227

Tel: 800 831 1117 ext. 5810

Fax: 201 930 8484

E-mail: [email protected]

Web: bmwusa.com
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Z8 Novice
    thank you very much for that info... I will write him and see what he says!
    raj

Any news ?

- - - Updated - - -

Any luck?
    I can't get hold of Bill

Bill may be on vacation... He goes every year around now?

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2