Thread: Anyone fitted a Supersprint system?

Anyone fitted a Supersprint system?

I was just made aware of this complete Supersprint system, anyone tried it, or know if it is smog & 50 state legal?

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Supersprint made that system for Hamann to sell. When Hamann quit ordering them, Supersprint made them available through their own dealers. Claus and Shadowman installed them on their Z8s and liked the results, although Hamann used to provide an ECU upgrade to maximize their potential. If I were going to spend that much on a complete system, I would want to remap the ECU and increase the diameter of the air flow meter housings to take full advantage of the improved flow. Essentially the same system has been available for the E39 M5 for many years so you might want to check out the M5 Board to see what their experience has been.

It is good to know that this system has been tried and tested at least, and great feedback on the ECU & intake needing to be uprated to match it too. Someone asked me about the system, and I just wasn't aware of it. I wonder if it saves much weight, looks like it might? Also do you think it'll be smog check friendly?
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The OE Z8 exhaust system is quite heavy so I would be willing to bet the Supersprint system would be lighter. I don't know if they have received CA smog approval but when it was sold by Hamann, it was not CARB approved. That doesn't mean a Z8 equipped with this system would fail a CA smog test as measured at the tailpipe; just wouldn't pass a visual inspection if performed. An alternative to this exhaust system is the one made by Dinan which includes headers, bored out air flow meter housings, larger diameter intake hoses, carbon fiber air filter box covers, reconfigured velocity stacks, optional Schrick cams, and upgraded ECU software. Dinan believes you must improve the intake flow if you want to take advantage of the improved exhaust flow. As far as the catalytic converters are concerned, Dinan's testing has shown that the OE cats flow as well as any aftermarket cats so they don't recommend changing them. This assures compliance with emissions requirements and the system is 50 state legal. If you exchange the OE mufflers for the Eisenmanns, the overall package is complete.

Z8Mania
    Andrew- how about letting Dinan loose on your car...

The truth is I don't need it to make more power, or get to 60 or 120 any faster than it already for the kind of driving I use it for. It is my Sunday drive and big tour special. If at some point in the future my heads need cleaning up because of the carbon build up issue then I'll take it to Dinan and use the heads off job as an excuse to do some of GM's upgrades. I like the idea of doing the headers, 'breathers', cutting out the MAF's, get Dinan's full software package, swaping to the e46 steering rack (if that mod comes online), and adding a new clutch and flywheel, but hopefully all that is 40,000 miles into the future, at my current rate of use that is about ten years.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    wait a minute- you can eliminate the MAFS? How? Won't the engine not know how much air its getting? (Pardon any potential revelation of ignorance!)

Check the story on GM's car again, it was one of the mods that really caught my eye!
    Andrew Macpherson