Thread: How to remove roll over hoops?

Z8 Novice

How to remove roll over hoops?

Hi Guys,

does anybody know how to go about removing the rollover hoops? I'd like to
    replace my pitted chrome collars from the base and I can't see how . Any clues
    would be greatly appreciated.

Roy.

I don't know how, but if you download this parts book (21MB) you'll find there will be an exploded illustration that will at least give you an idea of the parts that are involved.
    http://www.bmwz8.us/pdf/z8_parts.zip
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I've done it before, without any instructions, and while I don't remember how I did it, I do recall that it wasn't very difficult. My goal was the same as yours, to replace, or clean up, the chrome trim. Once you do get those chrome bits in your hands, I'd recommend trying to clean them up before replacing them. The ones I did were pretty awful, and cleaned up to nearly flawless. It's plastic chrome, so you have to be careful, but when there's nothing to really lose is when you get to learn things. As a professional detailer for 35+ years, I've had great success cleaning scuzzed up plastic chrome with steel wool. Before you call me crazy, because the first time I tried I was certain it would end in tears, hear me out. You want the ultra fine 0000 grade steel wool. Wash the part of loose debris and dirt as best you can with soap and water first. After that, you want the steel wool sopping wet, and you want to also add some soap into the steel wool. Gently work on the part to remove the "corrosion" scum. You can also / instead add a liquid metal polish to the steel wool instead of the soap. I prefer the soap method, and once it's nice and clean you can carefully polish it a bit with some super fine metal polish like Blue Magic or Mother's Billet Metal Polish (no longer available but I've been promised by Mother's that an updated and better product is due this month.The same process goes for the scuzzy build up on front grille chrome (very easy to remove the grille to do it right). I did the side marker / vent chrome on the car because I couldn't find or figure out a safe and relatively easy way to remove them. Common sense and careful work will give you excellent results. Wet and soapy 0000 steel wool is also excellent and harmless to your car's glass and works wonders to get petrified bugs off and is of course safe on "real" chrome as well.

Thank BigGar - Iíve got some of those bits that donít look too good, Iíll give your method a try!

Always be careful. A light touch with good soap or quick detailer lubrication.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I did just manage to clean those up without removing them on another Z8 last week. Same technique. The grilles will also reward you with an excellent result and they're easy to remove