Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: A look at "The Book"

You should be good to PM now - this darned software never lets me know when new members sign up, so it's down to my memory - and that ain't great!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Is your Silver/Black book still available?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeee 8 View Post
    Hi Segalmotorcar, do you have one of those books left?
    if yes, please advise how much youíd like or Iíll give you my email/phone to reply.
    thanks, Bill (2001 Tit/Black #60883)
    Hi Segal, do you still have a Silver/Black book for sale?
    if yes, please call or text me at 561-866-7729.
    Hoping there is a Santa!....Happy Holidays, Bill

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    You can personalize a book with a VIN plate from BMW and we have copies of most of the color combo images that go in the first page, so I'd say the best bet os keep an eye open on Instagram, as they do come up there from time to time.
    I have tried with a couple different BMW dealers and they are saying that the vin sticker part is not available anymore. Can anyone confirm who has done this recently? Thanks!
    2002 Z8, Titanium Silver, Dinan ECU/Suspension, Brembo BBK, Quaife 3.64 LSD, Short Shift, HRE 541R, Eisenmann Exhaust
    2014 R8 V10 Plus - 6MT, Sepang Blue, Exclusive Alabaster White Interior, Capristo X-Pipe, Pedalbox, Reid Intake
    2008 RS4 - Phantom Black, Titanium Package, Exclusive Red/Black Interior, KW V3, H-Pipe
    2018 991.2 GT3 - 6MT, Graphite Blue Metallic, Lightweight Buckets, Ceramics, GRP Bypass Exhaust

Wowza, now that's a book!
    Andrew Macpherson

The final price of 37,750 is very impressive. But you have to admit that the book and its "case" are worth it!

It's a hell of piece, and if you have a man cave with several of the cars in its pages, then the price is likely somewhere between inconsequential and irrelevant!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    It's a hell of piece, and if you have a man cave with several of the cars in its pages, then the price is likely somewhere between inconsequential and irrelevant!
    That's for sure!!!

Nice eagle eye find. Hopefully someone here who needs it gets it.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Thanks, @boomster. I bid on it. If I get it, will have to do until a black over crema shows up at some point.

Good luck, we have the images here that I can get printed for you, but you will have to find or exchange the crema leather.
    Andrew Macpherson

$900 seems to be a good price. Hopefully someone here got it.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

That's an awesome price, they've been going for up to $2500!!
    Andrew Macpherson

hi all quick question - i have visited 2 cars , same year , same color - Black / crema - black - both had their books BUT looking at them i have found 2 different pictures one is showing the car , the second one is showing the car with all plastic protection around
    see att the 2 pictures

Is it normal ? or does it mean that one of them is "fake"

thx
    benoit

Hi Benoit,

The picture with the car in transport cover is used for rare color combinations (e.g red/crema) and individual colors
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

but this car is Black / crema , nothing "so" special ..and on top , 2 same exact car colors , 2 different pictures..??

You are right! The differences you mention can happen when the book is not issued to the car. A lot of first owners sold the car without the book and the new owner bought another book from another car and so on....
    Ton

so probably the second owner has a not an "Original" book ..and made it / home made ..

thx Ton

Quote Originally Posted by becaze View Post
    so probably the second owner has a not an "Original" book ..and made it / home made ..

thx Ton
    Most likely not "home made" as the book would be quite difficult (if not impossible) to duplicate from scratch. Just not the same book that came with the car originally. For example I have a book that I was able to get from BMWNA (Bill Stuart - RIP) quite some time after I had purchased my car in 2005 once I learned from this board there was a chance they might still have them which they did at the time. Apparently some never were delivered to the customers for some reason. So I have the book, but with a different VIN plate than my VIN.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

So I have the book, but with a different VIN plate than my VIN.
    The VIN sticker is an official BMW part (71 212 122 583). I have heard that BMWNA is not that cooperative (anymore) but in Europe you can still order the sticker via an official BMW garage. Nine years back I bought the book and changed the sticker.
    Ton

Thx gentlemens for your insights !
    b

If anyone is looking for a coffee table book, there is currently one on EBAY (no affiliation) https://www.ebay.com/itm/30404868847...wAAOSw-Mlg2j7I

Z8 Novice
    What colors did the book covers come in? Were there different colors for different cars? My car is a red/crema. What would the book have looked like ? Were all the boxes the same?

The book had three features which were tailored to the car for which it was prepared. The Z8-embossed leather which was wrapped around the book but not attached to it would be the primary color of the interior, ie., black for a black interior, crema for a crema interior, red for a red Sport interior, and crema for a crema Sport interior. There might be a very few variants for special-ordered "Individual" cars. On the front cover of the book, there was a VIN sticker which matched the VIN of the car. And on the third page of the book was an attached photo of a car in the color combination of the purchasers car. While it was originally thought the photo was of the actual car for which the book was prepared, in most cases it was a stock photo of a car in the same color scheme. The book and the presentation box would be the same in all other respects for non-Individual cars.

Z8 Novice
    thank you. That makes sense. I saw one on ebay Germany. The book had a red leather cover. The car was silver/red. The cover of the book had a Z8 emblem and not the vin sticker. The cover of the book was "different". I do not know how to attach the photo. I guess in Europe the call it a "birth book". Did they make a different book for the European books?

Z8 Novice
    I went back and look and indeed it was the leather wrapping I was looking at and not the cover. If anyone has a silver /red euro model z8 they might want to look at this book.

I guess in Europe the call it a "birth book". Did they make a different book for the European books?
    No the Book in Europe is the same. The Book was delivered in the Englisch and German language. The cars sold in the French, Spanish speaking countries and Italy and Japan got an inlay in their language
    Ton

The vin sticker is on the inside. Not on the cover/front

Interesting. On mine, the VIN sticker is on the outside front cover of the book itself. Perhaps you thought I meant the presentation box?

Itís on the outer leather? Thatís not right.

Sorry, I am not making myself clear. The VIN sticker, at least on my book and the others I have seen, is on the outside front cover of the actual book itself, not the presentation box and not the leather cover.

Hopefully this clarifies any questions - my book (non-matching VIN):

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

My mistakeÖ. Senior moment!

Z8 Novice
    two point of interest. 1) There is a coffee table book on ebay NOW , with two days to go. it is at $1775. It is for a black/red car. The vin is AH61824. The seller also has two additional coffee table books that they have not put up for auction yet and could be bought privately I believe. We corresponded through email. The two addtional books are silver/black and black/black 2). I bought my red/crema Z8 from the 4th owner, a month ago. The coffee table book was missing when I bought the car. The original owner's name and telephone number was in the manual. I contacted the original owner. He told me he was pretty sure he still had it, somewhere, packed away. To make a long story short a month went by and he found it. The box was a little tattered but intact. The vin on the cover was correct for my car, as was the picture. However, the leather wrapper was black and not crema. A relative of mine lived near the original owner. I had them go and see the book and send me pictures. The vin was right, as was the picture. I was not in a position to challenge this and was just elated to be able to reunite the original book with the car. They paid him for it (shame on him) and it is on its way to me now. Did this happen on occasion that the leather wrapping did not match the color of the interior( by mistake or maybe they ran out of that particular leather )? I am just so happy to have the book reunited with my car. I'm working on a hardtop. I could still use an original battery charger. The original owner is positive he never got a battery charger in the mail from BMW. He owned the car for the first three years of her life.

That's super cool you managed to get the original book back, bravo, and that story is now part of the provenance of the whole, so I wouldn't worry about the leather wrap. I believe the books were usually leather matched, but as with anything hand packaged there can be errors, or maybe that day they were just out of Crema?

The battery charger is a standard BMW badged Delkin unit, still available from BMW or Amazon.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    If my memory is correct BMW no longer has the original chargers. A few months ago I was able to locate the original charger at BMW Bloomfield. They had 3 in their old inventory at that time. BMW part # 82-11-026-663 $79.00. Parts Mgr was Peter Santos 973-780-9489.

Z8 Novice
    Thank you..... I called over to Blomfiield today and they found one in the archives. Scott was adamant that it was an obsolete item. I had to insist that he check the archives. When he finally decided to look low and behold he found one . It was $69 plus shipping. The correct part number is 82-11-0026-663. ( you left off a 0 in front of the 02600. The info was much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2