Thread: Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

So that was interesting, a year I never ever thought would be part of our reality.

Here's to a better year for all!!

While there's nothing much good happening in the world, I thought I'd share the other side of my automotive life on instagram.

There have only been two cars in my life, the Z8 and the Land Cruiser. My relationship with the Land Cruiser goes all the way back to Ethiopia in 1993, when I was introduced to it through the United Nations motor pool. I was blown away by how much more capable it was out in that very wild land than anything else in their fleet.

When I decided to leave New York and drive to California in the spring of '96 I bought my own and drove west under the Comet Hyakutake, the great comet of '96, which flew from dead overhead at midnight on the night I left New York, to setting with the sun when I got to LA. I followed a comet south west, riding in the wagon of my life.

I kept that car 8 years, criss-crossed Cali, Baja and Nevada with it. It also overlapped my first Z8 as my daily driver, but then the track bug got under my skin, so that Land Cruiser got sold and I dived into a decade long track day obsession with a vengeance.

After going round in circles as quick as I could, and doing some of the most incredible and memorable sportscar driving of my life with other of the early members of the community here, the call of the stunning wilderness that made me fall in love with the American West, once more beckoned me back beyond the tarmac.

Should all the new projects I'm working on bear fruit, I'll for sure be back in a Z8 too, but in these lean times a 25 year old Toyota is bringing me a huge amount of motoring joy, so if out of idol curiosity you'd like to see that story, my Land Cruiser has it's own instagram, @sumo2_is_my_name
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Follow your heart Andrew... like you would do anything else! Times change, priorities shift. Our early days of Z8 magic were a point in time. Best time of my life, but change is the only thing that is constant.

Happy 2021 Andrew, Ian and all Z8rs.

Andrew, our driving adventures were some of the best times of life and I'm forever grateful to you. Thank you for being our pied piper, one hand on the wheel and one on the camera.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2021 X5 (G05) 4.0i - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 14K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

Two thumbs up on the Z8 opening the door for us to explore the world with an amazing group of fellow enthusiasts, many of whom are friends to this day. Thank you to Andrew for this site that keeps the memories alive. Yes, times and focus change but to still smile and laugh over a decade later telling the stories of our Z8 adventures together is a treasure that will last forever. Happy New Year everyone.

Happy New Year to all and thank you for all the information, help, and suggestions to take care of our lovely Z8 machines!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Happy New Year!

Thank you Andrew for providing your Instagram link to your new adventures! I always enjoy your photographic story telling.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Happy New Year Andrew. Thanks for all you have done to keep the Z8 forum alive and well all these years. Even more remarkable since you've given up your own Z8. I've learned so much here, and I'm still a noob, having bought mine in 2012 Best,Greg
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Gregesq View Post
    Happy New Year Andrew. Thanks for all you have done to keep the Z8 forum alive and well all these years. Even more remarkable since you've given up your own Z8. I've learned so much here, and I'm still a noob, having bought mine in 2012 Best,Greg
    Add me to that list of very grateful people. This is the very best of any of the Car Boards I have read. No. 1 of 15 of "California Spring" sits above my work area at home, where I have spent most of my 2020 days. Andrew and the other folks on this Board guided me so much for years before I even found my Z8, and I am embarrassed that I have not been in the mix of replies much of late. I don't hear from the Texas Z8 owners much any more, but still go on BMWCCA drives. Admittedly I like the car as much for how it looks and how it drives, probably because it sits on a cover up on a lift. It is always kind of like unwrapping a present when I take it down.

Years ago a buddy of mine had a Land Cruiser, and I can understand how it would call to someone who has lived and explored so much with one. Still, I hope one day you can get another Z8, and perhaps I can join the other old timers for a drive. I am approaching that age where keeping the mileage low is less of a priority than finding somewhere to go. I have always thought the Z8 is made for the road, and not so much the city.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black