Thread: Broken Latches???

Z8 Novice

Broken Latches???

Hello Everyone! Neither the ash tray nor the radio cover seem to be functioning properly in my Z8. When I push the ash tray down, I am correct in assuming it should lock into place and secure itself into the center console? Mine just pops up again. Any thoughts about how to repair? Similarly, when I close the cover for the radio, it fails to latch and just reopens. I'm willing to roll up my sleeves to fix these myself but was wondering if they are known failures and hoping someone has documented the repairs.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like both are a case of the lock springs coming unattached and stopping locking them shut, but I have never had to deal with this so can't give you an exact repair instruction on it. You should be able to source some diagrams of what you're dealing with in either the repair or parts manuals here - http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/bmw-z8-his...icles-163.html
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks Andrew. I had looked through the TIS and parts manuals prior to my original post but came up empty. I'll try again with a sharper eye

Z8 Novice
    I have the same problem with my Radio cover. Please let me know if you find the answer... I will have a look too.

DSC Off
    For the ash tray, there is a little plastic hook on the bottom. That goes into a recess at the bottom of the ash tray holder. The recess has a spring loaded catch for the hook. The catch for the hook is released by the button in the ash tray holder. So, if either the button or the catch at the bottom has gotten gummed up, the catch might be stuck in the retracted position. And that would cause the ash tray to act just as you are describing (not catching in place when pressed in).

If you really are going to go after the radio cover, you will have to remove the center console. It's not too hard, just have to take your time and follow the TIS. Anyway, the ash tray receptacle will be out with the console and you will be able to figure out why the catch is not working.