Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: "The Book" Picture exchanges

Question "The Book" Picture exchanges

Polaroid picture from the "coffee table" book of a Silver/Red Z8.

I have a red/red item for exchange if required.

I just got my book from Bill Stuart. What a nice guy to talk with on the phone. I will be sure to thank him tomorrow.

It is for a black-crema and my car is silver-black, so if anyone is looking to trade their silver-black polaroid for a black-crema, and maybe even their black leather cover for a crema one I am game.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Is it black with "sport" crema, or solid? My book is slightly wrong for my car, as it shows the crema/black interior. Might want to trade with you.

I will check when I get home. Is the leather that covers your book black? Mine is crema.

Ok, I checked. It is hard to tell on the picture. The seats are wrapped in plastic and they look crema, but the headrests are black. I can't tell if the sides of the seats are black. It really only shows the driver's inside side bolster which sort of appears black, but it may just be the center piece between the seats. Wish it were clearer. The leather cover is solid crema.
    Charles Guerin

No, mine is crema. The outer book wrap should be in the color of your interior.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I just got my book from Bill Stuart. What a nice guy to talk with on the phone. I will be sure to thank him tomorrow.

It is for a black-crema and my car is silver-black, so if anyone is looking to trade their silver-black polaroid for a black-crema, and maybe even their black leather cover for a crema one I am game.
    I have a silver-black book if you are interested in purchasing. . . . . Whatever fair market value is these days.

Hi i am interested in the book, what is the price? I own ? topaz creme z8, so if someone has the right polaroid pls let me know

Quote Originally Posted by bwall View Post
    I have a silver-black book if you are interested in purchasing. . . . . Whatever fair market value is these days.
    Jurgen is coming to Dallas early this spring and says he will trade me a black cover and silver/black picture for my crema cover and black/crema (crema-sport black?) picture. I think they need my colors to complete their collection.
    Charles Guerin

Sport Button On
    Hi All,

Couldn't agree more about Bill Stuart. He has just sent me the book in the UK. Mine has a crema leather cover and the photo is of a topaz blue car with crema. Any one with a silver and black photo and black leather cover and I'll swap.

Chris AH 60828

Quote Originally Posted by mrcjackson View Post
    Hi All,

Couldn't agree more about Bill Stuart. He has just sent me the book in the UK. Mine has a crema leather cover and the photo is of a topaz blue car with crema. Any one with a silver and black photo and black leather cover and I'll swap.

Chris AH 60828
    I have a Silver/Red book....no picture would love to trade for Silver/Black
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by bwall View Post
    Interested in trade? Silver/Red for S/B?
    Kevin

Hi MrcJackson and Bwall

i have a great idea, Bwall offered me his silver with black book, thats the one MrcJackson is looking for while i am looking for a blue with Tan book. So maybe i can buy the book from Bwall and trade it with you MrcJackson? Sounds like a good deal for all three of us? Can anyone inform both Bwall and me on the fair market value of the book? Both bwall and i do not know that.

Sport Button On

Coffee table book

Hi ! Great minds think alike. Just sent you a message with the same suggestion. It'll probably cost $15 or so to ship from UK. Chris

Sport Button On

Coffee table book

There's no need to exchange books - just the leather and photo. Chris

The best thing to do is swap the leather & polaroids for sure, as it'll save a ton in packing and postage.

The market value of the books is hard to really say, they were selling for around $750 each a few years back, but in the last few years Bill has been very kindly supplying Z8 owners with books, so until his supply is gone they really don't have a market value. However, in the fullness of time, I do excpect that they will return to the region of their previous worth, if not higher.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew, maybe a stupid question, but who is Bill? And how to get in contact with him to see if would he me supply (owner of topaz/creme z8) also with a book?

Bill Stuart looks after Z8 owner customer support at BMW NA, but he is on his yearly sabatical till April 16th.

You could try reaching out to Sal Talarico while he is away, and if you are a registered owner in their system I'm sure he'll be able to help.

Email: [email protected] ? phone: 1-800-831-1117 ? Ext: 8228.
    Andrew Macpherson

Is the leather available through BMW?
    Kevin

The Book:trade silver/tan for silver/black

title says it all. anyone on the board need a silver/tan book?
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

You can just swap the polaroids, I don't think they're glued in. I totally forgot to look when you were here to see what color my spare one is!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    You can just swap the polaroids, I don't think they're glued in. I totally forgot to look when you were here to see what color my spare one is!
    No problem Andrew. Thanks again for having me over. Hope to do it again some time when I'm a bit more coherent.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

update: I just picked up a silver/black book on eBay. I still have an extra silver/tan if anyone is looking for one...
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    update: I just picked up a silver/black book on eBay. I still have an extra silver/tan if anyone is looking for one...
    Hi John,
    I have a Stratus/Crema Z8 and recently received a Black/Black book from Bill Stuart at BMW NA. I doubt I can find a Stratus/Crema book (since there were only 46 in this combo). I'd be closer to "correct" with the Crema leather wrapper (I assume when you say "tan" it's "Crema" -- "light tan"). Would you consider trading?
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolan View Post
    Hi John,
    I have a Stratus/Crema Z8 and recently received a Black/Black book from Bill Stuart at BMW NA. I doubt I can find a Stratus/Crema book (since there were only 46 in this combo). I'd be closer to "correct" with the Crema leather wrapper (I assume when you say "tan" it's "Crema" -- "light tan"). Would you consider trading?
    I'd be interested in trading, but it seems that I lost the picture on my trip to California...was hoping to consummate a trade while I was there. If you want to swap your picture and cover for my cover we could do that. I hate to separate the black/black picture from the black cover.

John
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

I have black/crema and would trade for silver/black. Doug, do you still want a crema cover? That would get each of us part way!

Is yours solid creama or sport? I think my photo is sport, and my car interior is solid.

I will look next time I am on the coast and post it. I do think its the sport though.

If it is solid, I may need to take a nice drive for a trade in person.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riverflyer View Post
    I have black/crema and would trade for silver/black. Doug, do you still want a crema cover? That would get each of us part way!
    John,

Sorry, you're a couple of days too late...I just traded with the seller of the 112K mi Z8 on eBay. I notice in the photos that he had a Crema wrapper on a Silver/Black book, so I called him and arranged to trade the wrappers.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolan View Post
    John,

Sorry, you're a couple of days too late...I just traded with the seller of the 112K mi Z8 on eBay. I notice in the photos that he had a Crema wrapper on a Silver/Black book, so I called him and arranged to trade the wrappers.
    Doug, too bad, surely a trade will come.

What I really want is your car .....love the stratus.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    If it is solid, I may need to take a nice drive for a trade in person.
    Norcal,
    ooops, had forgotten about this thread. I apologize for not checking the book. Will check it soon, next time I am over again and respond or post pic. John

Thanks! I had forgotten too.

OK, checked book out...finally.
    Tan jacket and pic is black car with tan hoops. I think the head rests might be black but cant tell for sure as seats have clear plastic over them like it might at the dealer for service. Are all the pics like that?
    Anyway, if there is a trade for silver/black please let me know.

Did they never do a black/solid crema image?

Andrew, great idea. I would be happy to get a scanned image if I can find the right color wrap. Anyone have black to trade for crema?

I have just received the originals from J?rgen, and now have these colors -

Red - Black
    Red - Red
    Red - Crema
    Black - Red
    Black - Crema/Black
    Stratus - Crema
    Stratus - Red
    Topaz - Crema
    Topaz - Black
    Silver - Black
    Silver - Red

I still need...

Silver - Crema
    Silver - Crema/Black
    Topaz - Red
    Topaz - Crema/Black
    Stratus - Black
    Stratus - Crema/Black
    Red - Crema/Black
    Black - Crema

At this moment I propose to scan in all the images, and make high resolution digital database of the images used, so if you have a missing one I would be interested in getting it to make the scan.

Initially I thought that the images were Polaroids, but on close inspection they appear to be early digital images and show signs of some heavy handed digital manipulation, for instance the Red - Crema is the same image as the Red - Black, the black has just been turned to Crema in one of the very clumsiest bits of Photoshop work I've ever seen!

Anyhow, the prints are all digital outputs on Kodak C Type photographic paper, so what I will do is match that with the scans, so the images will be a perfect match to the originals.

To cover the cost of this, and to help cover the costs of running the site, I propose a $100 fee to supply each image, but if you can provide a missing color then jut $50.

(The actual cost of scanning, retouching-matching original - printing and mailing should be right around $40 an image.)

These are the costs for perfect art prints of any of The Book images I have.
    I'll also be starting a new thread with my top images from the site that will also be offered as limited edition prints.
    (Please not these prints are not my images, so thus are being sold at cost, the reason my images are much more expensive is because they are artist original limited edition signed prints)

Book matching Kodak C Type print including postage - $100 (or $50 if you send in a color we don't yet have.)

15 x 10 archival inkjet print $60 - plus packing & shipping

24 x 16 archival inkjet print $120 - plus packing & shipping

36 x 24 archival inkjet print $200 - plus packing & shipping

Andrew Macpherson

I never knew everyone's was not shot at the same angle! I just assumed...

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Great! I have a silver red for you! I notice the following: the stock pictures show a mix of non license plates cars (US) and license plates cars(US/EU) . Does anyone know if e.g the black/red picture also has a license plate version?
    BTW Andrew I have a very special stock picture

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Sport Button On
    Would it be possible to get my color combo picture blown up into a nice poster which I could frame and put up in my garage?

Lanny

Yes, I have scanned them in at super high resolution, so they can be blown up large. However, a slight limiting factor would be the quality of the original print. If you have a size in mind I can have the guy who makes my gallery and art prints to print up a small area as test section, and see if you like it. We always print on archival art paper, (which is matt, not glossy) and over the next few days I'll be adding our art print master collection to the site.
    Andrew Macpherson

Ton, that is a cool shot indeed!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Ton, that is a cool shot indeed!!
    Is it a picture you are interested in? It was used for the individual cars
    Ton

I'll try to create a full set of these images, if anyone has a picture to share that we don't have here maybe we can arrange for a way to get it sent to me to make a high rez scan and return it. I'll post the new images as I get them.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    How large a poster could you do before the image gets really bad?

I'd say 3' x 4' would be around the largest it could go without getting too crazy.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    I would think 24 x 36 inches would be fine. Any idea what the cost would be?

Sport Button On
    I guess 36 inches wide 24 inches tall would make a better poster?

Yes, 36 x 24 would be $200 plus postage and packaging.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Andrew,
    Thanks. I have several things that I would consider making into a poster and I have a call into the advertising guy at adidas to see if he has any good contacts. I will let you know.
    Lanny

Ton, thanks for the Silver-Red pic, it's added to the pictures and scans above. I scanned the other one for the database, but as it's essentially the same shot I didn't put it up.
    Andrew Macpherson

The depth of field in these shots seems very shallow to my eye with the front of the cars in focus but the back looking soft. Any thoughts on the photographer's intent when shooting these pictures?
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

They have all been heavily and rather clumsily modified in photoshop, it appears by using a mix or the radial and lens blur filters selectively. I guess they were trying to be 'artistic'.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    i want to everyone knows, today i spoke to Andrew Macpherson, he was so kind to provide me with the phone number of this Great guy name William Stuart he works for BMW, and he was so wonderful to get me the book for my Z8 Alpina that did not came with my car when i purchase, i do not know if any have the same problem like me, but this gentlemen was so great helping me, iam very happy now, thank you a million Andrew and William you made my day!!!!.

I just received the "Book" from Bill Stewart- what a nice guy, and what a wonderful book! The book Bill sent was for a black car with red leather interior, my car is red with black and red sport interior, so the leather cover wrap in red works perfectly. The polaroid picture is, of course, a black/red car- does anyone have a red with red/black polaroid that they would trade? If no one has red- red/black, perhaps red/black?

Bill

Ton

Z8 Novice
    Today I got the book, and this time arrive in one piece, thank you Audrey for packing the book so well and thank you william Stuart for make me so happy, now I have the amazing car and the amazing book, thanks a million. Favio

Z8 Novice
    Today I got the book, and this time arrive in one piece, thank you Audrey for packing the book so well and thank you William Stuart for making me so happy, now I have the amazing car and the amazing book, thanks a million. Favio

If anyone is interested in an original "Book" photo of a black/red car, let me know and I will send it to you, no charge. By the way, the silver Z8 roundel -like disc that comes with the book appears to be a duplicate of the one mounted between the seats, but also appears to be the same dimensions as the hood/trunklid roundel. Has anyone tried to mount this in place of the standard roundel? It might look good on the trunklid.

Bill

Hi Bill ,

Can you tell me if it is this one?

Attachment 8703

@ andrew :It is still not possible to show an uploaded picture from my HD
    Ton

Hi Z-acht,

I can't download the attachment you sent me. If you want to send it to my regular email address, it is: [email protected]

DSC Off
    I just got a book from Bill last week. It has a photo of a silver/black but I would love to find a photo of a silver/black Alpina if that is possible. This book came with a VIN# that does not match the Alpina, so I am getting a new sticker for it from BMW. I'll put up the VIN# of the book I have just in case someone here has the matching car. If so, I'd be happy to trade them book for book as I am pulling the sticker off this one anyway once I get the correct one.

Gar

Sport Button On
    You are lucky to be able to get a new VIN plate. Over here. in Europe, BMW will not provide one without a police document certifying the original is damaged. They are not interested in supplying on for the book!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BigGar View Post
    I just got a book from Bill last week. It has a photo of a silver/black but I would love to find a photo of a silver/black Alpina if that is possible. This book came with a VIN# that does not match the Alpina, so I am getting a new sticker for it from BMW. I'll put up the VIN# of the book I have just in case someone here has the matching car. If so, I'd be happy to trade them book for book as I am pulling the sticker off this one anyway once I get the correct one.

Gar

DSC Off
    mrcjackson,

Let's say I am hoping to get a vin plate. I look after a number of Z8's and this is a new one to me. In the past when I have gotten books from Bill Stuart, I have been able to get the vin plate stickers through my service advisor at BMW of San Diego. The last one I got was a few years ago, so I am hoping for the best here!

Gar

Sport Button On
    Hope you are successful. If you are maybe you could get one for me - my Z8 is a US one. Chris

I have never seen an Alpina image in the book series, I believe that they were all made before the Alpina came into being, and they were never updated, however I could be wrong on hat. Here is the post with every image I have or have seen.
    Andrew Macpherson

Confirming Andrews' comment, I am pretty certain the Alpina "Book" feature a standard Z8 photo. A while back I picked up a spare book on Ebay which turned out to be for an Alpina, AH62217. The photo is of a standard silver/black Z8. The book/box/leather wrap/Z8 medallion are all standard Z8 items as well.

I also would be interested in knowing if there is a way to get replacement VIN stickers, the one in the driver's door jamb has been damaged by the seatbelt buckle, and I would like a second to create a "matching numbers" book for my car.

Bill

DSC Off
    Thanks guys. I guess I won't worry about an Alpina picture. The book Bill just sent me is for #60824, just in case someone here has that actual car. If they do, I'll work something out with them so they can have the exact book. I'll let you all know how I do on the stickers. Heading down to get new headlights and PP installed now. Just had the same thing done on another Z8 last week and the tech at BMW of San Diego did a perfect job. There is a tech at the Mini store that used to work up at Peter Pan and had done some PP's. The BMW tech had done one as well. They worked together on it and it's in there just right. Hope the Alpina one goes as smoothly.

Gar

Bill,

The part number of the EU VIN sticker is 71212122583. The US sticker is quite different from the EU one and I think it is part number 71212122606
    Ton

Thanks Ton- If Gar is successful, I will be ordering two.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post

I also would be interested in knowing if there is a way to get replacement VIN stickers, the one in the driver's door jamb has been damaged by the seatbelt buckle, and I would like a second to create a "matching numbers" book for my car.

Bill
    Obtaining a replacement VIN sticker is a bit of a process but it is doable if your service adviser and service manager and district manager are all cooperative as they need to sign off on the request. Once signed off, it takes about 2 weeks for the sticker to be delivered to the dealer who will apply the sticker (this is the tricky part if you want it in the book). If I recall correctly, I had to give copies of my car registration or title and driver license.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

DSC Off
    I just heard from Andy DeLisser, my service advisor at BMW of San Diego, and he has the VIN sticker for me to put on the book I got from Bill for the Alpina. He also was able to acquire the Alpina doorjamb sticker that goes just below the doorjamb VIN sticker as the one on the car I am selling wasn't perfect. I thought that one might be a long shot, but he has them both. They are not free like the last ones I got, but they're only about $20 each, so no big deal. I'm not sure exactly what hoops Andy jumped through to get them for me. Dirk sounds like he knows the process as well I didn't have to document as much stuff as Dirk this time, but I know the guys down there pretty well.
    I would suggest speaking with your service advisor, or the service manager, and explain your situation. If they tell you it can't be done, they're either being lazy or untruthful, or both. If you want you could e-mail Andy directly and I'm sure he would be able to help out somehow. [email protected]
    Also, if you happen to need your Z8 worked on in San Diego, Andy is a great guy to deal with, and he has a tech, Scotty, who is very well versed in all things Z8. I think his father has one, and is also a member of this forum. They also have a tech at their Mini store down the street who worked at Peter Pan before moving down here. He also will assist Scotty on Z8 projects. They did PP and headlights on a black 2001 that I look after, as well as the Alpina. Both were done in the last month and both came out excellent.

Gar

rgibson
    I'm a new owner of a Z8 and just received a book from Bill Stuart!

It is for a red-red (AH60326) and my car is silver-red, so if anyone is looking to trade their silver-red polaroid for a red-red, please let me know. Also, if anyone knows the owner of AH60326 then let him know that I have his book.... I'll be ordering a new VIN plate for the front, but if the owner of AH60326 is found before I stick on the new plate then I would rather the book go with it's right full owner.

Rory.

Hi Rory,

You can find an original silver red picture in this thread
    Ton

Hi Rory,

If you are not able to find the owner of AH60326 and/or work out a swap for a silver/red photo, I would be interested in purchasing your red/red photo, as the book Bill Stuart provided me was originally for a a black/red car (my car is red/red). Incidentally, if anyone on the forum has a need for a black/red photo, I would be happy to send it to you.

Bill

rgibson
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    Hi Rory,

If you are not able to find the owner of AH60326 and/or work out a swap for a silver/red photo, I would be interested in purchasing your red/red photo, as the book Bill Stuart provided me was originally for a a black/red car (my car is red/red). Incidentally, if anyone on the forum has a need for a black/red photo, I would be happy to send it to you.

Bill
    No problem Bill. If I don't find a Silver Red photo then I'll probably just buy a reproduction one from macfly (assuming they are still available). At that point I will just send you the Red/Red photo.

Rory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last