Thread: Supersprint exhaust

Sport Button On

Supersprint exhaust

Does anybody have experience or knows about the Supersprint exhaust for our cars?
    I read in this Forum that they used to be the Hamann's exhaust's. You can buy just the end-mufflers like f.i. Eisenmann, but the Supersprint mufflers are 25% cheaper (in Europe)! Any idea how loud they are?

Thanks in advance for your posts.

Dutch Frank
    2003 Z8 Black/Crema/Black

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    Frank,

I have the Eissenmann end mufflers. Live in Rotterdam so if you want you can come and "hear" them. they are louder but not to loud to annoy when driving.

cheers

I haven't come across the Supersprint here in the US, so can't really give a report on them. Here a lot of people have and like the Eissenmann Race exhaust and the Miesterschaft Z8 'loud' exhaust.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The car for sale near me, with all the mods, has the full system, but I haven't heard it.

My car has Hamann headers and the supersprint exhaust plus full Dinan mods. They make a pleasent low burble when just cruising but really roar when under full throtle, not unpleasant with a touch of American muscle overature. A number of people have told me "that sounds like no BMW I've heard" I have taken it as a compliment.Joshb
    2002 silver red/black

Yup, the s62 with the right pipes has a great sound!

I don't know whether anyone else has done this but I've had all the mufflers removed, so from the cat's back its straight through pipes.

Fairly loud when it first strikes up, but as the cats get warmer it turns into a quite acceptable growl.

I suspect that its not much louder than a Eissenmann Race exhaust or the Miesterschaft.

My thoughts were to buy one or the other, but tried removing the back boxes first. It wasn't loud enough so we then took out the smaller under car boxes. Certainly not anywhere near uncomfortable or anti social. I own and have owned other cars that would make your hair stand on end. This is not in the same league.

I think one of the joys of ownership of a car like this is to actually hear a throaty note. Being in the UK and traveling through small villages with buildings either side of the road is just a pleasure. To hear that burble of low revs echo and rebound from buildings it's just lovely.

As I say its throaty, not at all as loud as you would expect.

Worth a try. If you don't like it buy the new exhaust!

I bet that's really close to what my ones are, as they are crazy mad loud at start up, but also calm down to fairly quickly to a sort of bow tied holligan rumble.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sounds similar!

I like to make an announcement that I've arrived, but not awaken the neighbourhood.

My bet is that a lot of the exhaust systems for sale have very little muffle for you pound... or buck!

When you first start your car the cats are cold, but as they warm they quieten down the note to a very acceptable level.

I've had straight through exhausts on other older V8's and they are not at all pleasant. But with cats fitted its actually quite nice.

As I say worth a go as it will save you a lot of cash and give a very nice note!

Thanks for the post. I had thought about trying that, but figured it would be totally insane. I probably just bought expensive, empty containers! I should still try your way some time.

I probably just bought expensive, empty containers!
    I suspect that's exactly what we did!!
    Andrew Macpherson

We've all got "T" shirts for lots of similar things. I've spent thousands of pounds in the past on sports exhausts (other cars), but came across a couple of people who'd achieved the same exhaust note through either straight pipes or bypass pipes on existing systems. When I had the catalytic converter situation explained to me then I began to understand. Since then I've modified a couple of cars and had no problems at all.

We all live and learn, and thats why these forums are so very valuable. With something like this it's just being brave enough to try it. But I figured if I was prepared to buy a new system anyway theres nothing to lose, and just a sweet throaty note to gain!

Hope that it helps someone else.

Z8Mania
    Sounds like gr8 advice!

Sport Button On
    Just this past week, I had my 2 rear muffler cans removed from my E39 M5 and replaced with straight pipes and dual tips. The system still has the horseshoe shaped resonator in place to prevent drone from coming into play. This combo is not as loud as my Eisenman Race system on the Z8, but it is perfect for this stately beast making it really growl in the upper RPM bands. Certainly worth a try before going to the expense investing in an after market muffler system for any vehicle equipped with the wonderful S62.

Z8Mania
    Letting my 2003 carbon black/ caramel M5 go was probably the biggest automotive mistake I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Letting my 2003 carbon black/ caramel M5 go was probably the biggest automotive mistake I ever made.
    Oh Jerry! I searched for a year trying to find that combination before going with a low mileage carbon black/black. And yes, the E39 M5 is a keeper. They're appearing on Ebay now with 200K+ miles!

As far as the exhaust sound, there's little to no difference between Mark's new set up and my Supersprints. This car was made to growl.

Taking the car up to Dana and Matt for dash replacement (new dash courtesy of Bellevue BMW) as I bought the car from them and no one noticed (disclosed) dash delam until it got to Peter Pan... Any ways the Bellevue guys made it right.

I will discuss the muffler removal Dana and maybe give it a try?

If you do, I might be able to meet you there, and we could compare side-by-side.

We are leaving the car there for 3-4 weeks
    I will check in when we no for sure when
    Picking up.
    It would be great to see you up there
    Kevin

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Klaney, did you have Dana remove the mufflers?

Saw your post back in September about that possibility; I am interested b/c I too would like a little more growl/burble but not wanting to spend $3-5K for a new system...dogdoc

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc97 View Post
    Saw your post back in September about that possibility; I am interested b/c I too would like a little more growl/burble but not wanting to spend $3-5K for a new system...dogdoc
    No didnt remove while there...Dana didnt really have a pipe guy to reccomend.
    Should be hauling the car back home to Long Beach this week.
    I plan to find a local shop and give it a try.

Team Z8

Long Beach?...

I'm in LB too.

Quote Originally Posted by ron's rocket View Post
    I'm in LB too.
    I actualy live in/on Signal Hill.

Have heard rumors of a silver Z8 sighting...although never seen it myself..must be you?
    Kevin

Team Z8

Probably...it's silver/red.

There's two of us in Belmont Shore/Naples area, but the other owner with a stratus/creme...isn't on the forum.

Dumb question but I don't know the answer...

so when you remove the "cans"or mufflers do you have to then have someone add additional pipe to the space left by the removal of the muffler, is this done by a performance shop or tuner ...thanks, max

Unless you want to asphyxiate, yes.
    thegunguy

that was good !

Hell I don't know what the setup is of an exhaust system,lol .You guys know cars in and out, I am not looking at undercarriages, I am looking in open abdomens and up horses A----.

So do you add new pipe or replace the entire run as one new piece.

Come on gun, humor me, Max

Yes, you have to extend the pipe if you remove the mufflers. Otherwise, the gases might not exit properly at the rear of the car.
    thegunguy

Does this affect emissions passing?

Here in Georgia like most states I guess we have to get an inspection each year for our tag renewal, hence the question, Max

Shouldn't. Mufflers are just sound.
    thegunguy

Ok...just went for a test drive with the mufflers/resonators removed.....
    definitley an attention getter under acceleration!
    Idle is still pretty tame..
    once at cruise speed very pleasent...no drone or vibe type noise...
    really sounds great..but a bit on the load side.

Going to run it for a while and if its to much I may try putting the resonators back in? (if the boss insists)

Interesting. Did you have the pipes extended to the tips or just open under the car?

How was the timbre of the sound. Just louder? More NASCAR? Still "German Muscle"?
    thegunguy

A little more NASCAR I think...

The other thread on this subject got me thinking about where you made the cut. I assume it's just behind the rear O2 sensors and before the resonators. Correct?
    thegunguy

Yes..cut is after 02 sensor....full straight pipes is a bit much for running around in the city in such a sophistcated beauty...Next step is to insert small stainless mufflers behind cats...may very well wind up with the Z8 specials before the project ends?

A short old school glass pack might do the trick. Cheap too.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    A short old school glass pack might do the trick. Cheap too.
    ...never a glass pack (aka cherry bomb) fan..a little to "La Bamba" for me...hoping these little muffs to be a little more subtle? Actually one of my favorite V8 exhaust tones was mid 60's Stock Mustang GT