Thread: Quicker Steering

Quicker Steering

Has anyone looked at altering the ratio or rack? After getting out of a GT3 or Exige, it seems like I have to turn the wheel WAY too much to get results. GM?

Welcome Lotus ownership. Everything feels like a yacht afterward.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Agree with your comment but consider that when you change one side of the equation, you often discover you have to make other changes. IMHO, Id leave it where it is.

I remember Steve Dinan saying that it was on the list of upgrades that was planned for GM's monster, you could always ring Dinan and see if you can get through to Steve - he'd know for sure. (408-779-8584)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I think I might. Even if it's down the road, we might as well start the process of understanding what is possible.

I just sold my 525 (E60) which was fitted with the 'active steering' and bought a X5 (E70), fully optioned, but unfortunately no active steering....................
    The only option I miss In my opinion every BMW should be fitted with this option, and we should have a switch to turn it on or off.

Z8Mania
    I love the active steering in the X5, but I didn't like it at all in the 5er- it felt too quick in the 5er- but it helps the X5 because its so big already. I test drove a new F02 with the AS and again I didn't like it. So this is got to be a matter of personal taste, I generally like the more linear weighting up of the suspension with normal steering movements. The Z8 steering is slow but I think messing with it will cause other things which will need addressing to come to the forefront.

No active steering for me thanks. What other problems do you infer?

Z8Mania
    Quicker steering means for less turning of the steering wheel you will load up the suspension more quickly- which is what you are asking for but will it feel natural? I dont know. Ive just come to learn that when you change one thing, you invariably end up affecting another.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I love the active steering in the X5, but I didn't like it at all in the 5er- it felt too quick in the 5er- but it helps the X5 because its so big already. I test drove a new F02 with the AS and again I didn't like it. So this is got to be a matter of personal taste, I generally like the more linear weighting up of the suspension with normal steering movements. The Z8 steering is slow but I think messing with it will cause other things which will need addressing to come to the forefront.

I fully agree