Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Meisterschaft Exhaust - Fantastic Sound

Z8 Novice

Meisterschaft Exhaust - Fantastic Sound

I purchased a Meisterschaft racing exhaust system from www.eisenhaus.com and installed them in about 1.5 hours last month. The build quality is excellent and the polished stainless steel units look great. I am most impressed with the sound quality. Not too loud but deep and throaty both on and off the throttle. Having heard the Eisenman which cost almost twice as much, I think the Meistershaft is one of the best bargains around. I have always enjoyed my Z8 but the new audio system takes the pleasure to new heights. Twice the pleasure for small money. This is the best present I have given myself in a long time.
    Take a minute to view my youtube posts below and let me know if they are adequate.

Sounds fantastic, but this one line on the purchase page worried me a bit being in CA - products are not EPA or CARB approved and are intended for off-road/track use only
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Since I live in Texas it was not an issue.
    The sound of this exhaust may be worth moving.
    They also offer a SPORT model which is a bit softer and may be suitable for California.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    It sounds great. Enjoy.
    Pandaman

Very nice sound!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    loved sound, but is it so much different from the Eissenman Exhaust? Do you have any pictures of the exhaust itself? or during fitting to the car??
    regards

I worked with Eisenhaus on the development of the Meisterschaft mufflers for the Z8 and can provide the following information: The Meisterschaft mufflers are made from higher quality materials than the Eisenmann mufflers, with better welding on the seams and an extremely high level of polish on the stainless steel exterior. They really are beautiful to behold! The inlet pipes have been expanded to make fitment and alignment easier and since they are dimensionally identical to the Eisenmanns, retrofitting them is not a problem. Performance enhancement is slightly better than the Eisenmanns due to a further reduction in back pressure.

There are three versions available: "SP", which is not much louder than OE, though substantially lighter; "HP", which is noticeably louder than OE, substantially lighter, and sounds a lot like the RACE version of the Eisenmanns; and "GT", which is much louder than OE, substantially lighter, has lower back pressure than any of the Eisenmanns, and makes the Z8 sound like a Ferrari with that characteristic scream at high rpms plus a noticeable rumble at idle. I am currently running the GT's on my driver Z8 and I really like the sound quality. The car was previously equipped with Eisenmann Race mufflers so I am familiar with the differences between the two systems. The Eisenmanns sound much better than the OE mufflers and give the Z8 a low frequency rumble that builds to a roar at high rpms. The GTs provide even more low frequency rumble, especially at idle, and then build to a higher pitched, Ferrari-like V8 scream at high rpms. Makes the car sound more European and less like a Detroit muscle car. Exhaust noise while cruising is not objectionable, though slightly more noticeable than with the Eisenmanns.

The one drawback is that, with the top down, the exhaust noise at high rpms is very loud and might prove objectionable to some. With the top up, the noise is not an issue. Eisenhaus has offered to sell these to members of this board at a discount so be sure you mention that fact when ordering. I believe the Eisenmanns are still being imported into the US, just not by Eisenhaus any more. Also, if your Z8 passed its emissions test while fitted with Eisenmann mufflers, there is no reason why it wouldn't pass with the Meisterschafts. Hope this helps.

365gtb4, do you have the GT version?

Although I like the sound of a Ferrari, I think I will keep the Eisenmanns I have as to me, the "Detroit muscle car" is what I grew up with and considering the front engine, 5.0 L V-8, rear drive set up (just like a Detroit muscle car ) it is perfect to me!! Considering the return of retro-Detroit muscle cars, the Z8 actually sounds great as the new Mustangs, Challengers and I am sure the new Camaro too, all have a very throaty sound from low rpm to high and as such, the Eisenmann are a nice blend of European and American sound.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I'd prefer the slightly less noisy at cruise option, so I think I'll order the HP version - GM thanks for setting up the discount for us.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Old Baillie's Avatar

Meisterschaft

I've read so much in the forum about the muffler upgrade that I decided that I want to get it installed.

I spoke with Andrew over at Avus in Glendale, very helpful guy, about replacing my OE exhaust with Eisenmann. He then spoke with Robert at Eisenhaus and they are now recommending the Meisterschaft. I talked with Robert myself and he re-iterated what I've read in previous posts that the design, quality, engineering, fitment, alignment and welding are all superior.

I'm trying to decide between the "HP" and the "GT". I don't want the sound to be too pretentious, and I've read how everyone loves the sound of the Eisenmann's, do you think the "HP" is closest?
    Alpina, Silver/Black

The HP mufflers offer essentially the same sound quality as the Eisenmann Race mufflers that everyone seems to like. The GT is definitely louder, especially at high rpms.

admin's note - having fitted the HP first I can say they are quite a bit quiter than the Eisenmann Race, more like the Eisenmann Sport. (macfly)

This just in: The first 10 Board members who order a set of Meisterschaft mufflers, this month only, will receive a substantial discount on the price. Current retail is $2200 but if you tell them you are a Board member and that Grease Monkey, aka Bruce Jodar, sent you, your price will be $1750! This will be the only discount offered so if you are thinking of purchasing a set, don't hesitate. Phone number is 630-787-1600. Ask for John or Robert.

Just nine left! Thanks GM!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Just 8 left. )
    Thanks very much GM
    Alpina, Silver/Black

Z8 Novice
    Old Baille should buy the louder GT exhaust system. I have an incredible number of compliments on the sound. Not too loud, but big block muscle car sound with a hint of European sophistication. It puts a smile on everyones face. Even my wife is comfortable with the decible count and she does not like to be conspicuous. I am jealous since I started this blog and paid a higher price than the current deal of $1750, but still feel it was a bargain. I liked the car before the new exhaust note, but now I can't be without it. Big jump in driver satisfaction for me.
    Just do it.
    Regards to all.
    365GTB4

Sport Button On
    My GT's have been shipped from Korea, I should have them in a week or two. I'm really looking forward to lighting up the neighborhood.

I understand my GT's are now in country and will be on the car before christmas. I'm having the short shift installed as well. Should be fun.

Andrew, Which version did you purchase?

I ordered the HP, as it was said to be closest to the Eisenmann Race in volume while gunning it, and peacefullness while cruising, a perfect combination based on past experience.
    Andrew Macpherson

Hey Mac,

...those are too pretty to cover up, maybe leave the rear undervalance off after installing ?

Seriously though, did you get those to replace the Eisenmann on the Silver or planning to put these on the Topaz?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

The current silver never had an exhaust upgrade, I'd been sort of waiting to see what might come of the Cartridge system, but since that one went away I got this one. The Eisenmann's I had were on my very first EU spec car, 77715, along with many other upgrades, some made to the new one, others discarded as not worthy.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Robert Linton's Avatar
    The Cartridge Exhaust System is alive and well but it is a system and not merely mufflers alone. It saves in excess of 70 lbs. and has, at least in my opinion, a wonderful sound and includes:

1. 321 Stainless Steel Header Flanges

2. 321 Stainless Steel Collectors

3. 321 Stainless Steel Pipes From Engine Block To Catalytic Converters

4. 304 Stainless Steel High Performance Lightweight Catalytic Converters

5. 321 Stainless Steel Crossover Pipe Between Catalytic Converters And Mufflers

6. 321 Stainless Steel Exhaust Flanges

7. 321 Stainless Steel Pipes From Catalytic Converters To Mufflers

8. 321 Stainless Steel Mufflers

9. 321 Stainless Steel Clamps In Place Of Certain Flanges

10. 321 Stainless Steel Tail Pipes

11. Aluminum Exhaust System Cross Member

12. Titanium Tail Pipe Mounts

13. Silver Plated Metal Fasteners As Appropriate

14. Titanium Fasteners As Appropriate

Though not inexpensive (more than $10,000 installed), it is the details that count such as the titanium tail pipe mounts, a picture of which is attached.

Wow, those look lovely, and the specs sound amazing too, wish I'd known, looking forward to seeing it installed on your car!
    Andrew Macpherson

The HP exhausts are on, and though they are beautifully made there isn't that much of an increase in volume. Though they have a deeply muted roar they lack the delicious deep rumble of the old Eisenmanns.

I'd say the HP is for those who want a little extra without anything too intrusive, and I'd venture to say it would be a very nice sound for the Alpina's autobox.

Andrew Macpherson

Sorry to hear that Andrew. Fortunately for me, mine are still sitting in the garage, so perhaps I'll send them back and exchange them for the GTs. I'm nervous now. What a pain to have installed them and discover the result are way below expectation.
    Alpina, Silver/Black

The increase in volume is pretty subtle, I'd wait and see where we can get the sound with the next round of tests.
    Andrew Macpherson

Ouch! Sorry you had to be the beta tester. I was thinking of just leaving the stock system on rather than experiment with anything else, and save the money.
    Alpina, Silver/Black

Sure love my Eisenmanns but your new ones sure look great. Sorry for your experience Andrew.
    Pandaman

Andrew, I hate it when that happens! Sorry to hear it, especially since it was expensive!! Seems like the same situation as with the Eisenmann -- the Eisenmann "performance" ones were like stock sound and like the HPs you now have. I guess the GTs are like "Race" ones from Eisenmann that most of us have now and really like. They do look good though so if they OldBallie can exchange his, I am sure he will be more satisfied.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I spoke to the guys at Meisterschaft this morning, and they have slightly changed the word on volume from what was originally written above. They now say that the GT is a bit louder than the Eisenmann Race that we all love so much, while the HP that I just fitted is about half way between that and stock. They also said it takes about 500 miles for the pipes to 'settle in' and find their volume, which sounds pretty odd to me. Anyhow I'm taking the car to Willow Springs for an event tomorrow, so I'll certainly get some sense of them under full power.

They did offer to trade out my pipes for the GT's, which was very kind and fair, but I'm a little reluctant to get something I find too noisy. I had the Dinan pipes on my old M3 and they were so loud that they drove me nuts! I like some volume, but not a constant acoustic assault, so I'm inclined to give the HP's the 500 miles that they say they need before deciding to keep them or not.

New news - taking customer care to a new level the Meisterschaft team have come up with a great plan - they are sending out a GT system which I am going to put onto my car. I'll make an identical video of the two systems so that everyone can clearly decide which of the two is for them.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thumbs up Its nice to see companies who care

for the Meisterschaft folks. We are a group who respect and are loyal to those companies that demonstrate high levels of customer service and support. While not currently in the market for their products, either I or a friend will surely be so in the near future. They have earned a place in my directory of quality suppliers.

Being that other systems may be off the table, this one(s) they offer is only marketable to us (Z8 owners) and may be the only system for us. It would behoove them to promote their product in a positive way on this site.

Not a day goes by that I do not identify a company that either does not recognize or ignores what should "behoove" them. Most of the time, it is just unconscious incompetence. Sometimes it is foolish arrogance. They get points for recognizing and doing what a company selling something for discretionary money should do.

For future buyers and future reference, it seems to me that from reading Mac's experience from the above posts, any future buyer should just consider the Miesterschaft "HP" to be similar to what the Eisenmann "GT" exhaust was and that the Miesterschaft "GT" that Mac is getting now, would be equivalent to the Eisenmann "Race" Exhaust most of us Eisenmann owners have now. I am looking forward to Mac's video and the AUDIO to hear the actual difference compared to Orcatek's video/audio of the Eisenmann Race mufflers -- that way anyone interested will have actual sound to compare before they buy. Glad Miesterschaft has stepped up as alot of companies would not go that far after the product had already been installed!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I did the drive to Willow Springs on Tuesday, used a full tank of gas on the track with the top down and the helmet on, then drove home through the mountains top down and no helmet, so I can say that while I could certainly hear the HP, it isn't a huge difference over the stock.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Andrew,

Thank you for your expensive review. I have a set of the GT's to be installed this spring. I as others are anxious to hear the difference. I am happy to see our suppliers step up to the plate. They seemed like nice guys on the phone.

Jim

I can understand the 500 "break in" for the pipes to "tune". The Eisenmanns took some cycling to burn of the initial smell, and over that time the sound became more full.
    thegunguy

Thanks, very interested to hear your impression VS Eisenmann.

I now have the GT's on the car, and they are LOUD! These pipes are mad fun, they make a simply fantastic noise driving fast, and are guaranteed to make you grin from ear to ear! They are certainly for the young, and the young at heart, there is no stealth with these bad boys, they are hooligan specials! They goad you on, and have no interest in any desire to be chilled out or civil. If you use your car for 30-60 minute fast blasts these pipes are simply fantastic.

My first impression was "WOW, I love them!". However after a combined freeway, mountain road drive home I was thinking something about half way between the HP & GT would be a better all round solution for me personally, as the Mrs doesn't like too much noise, and we like doing quiet chilled out scenic drives together just as much as I love blasting through the twisties solo. Happily John is going to make up a 'Z8 Club' exhaust that will be to my sound specs, and I think that will be perfect for those who want what I want, so now we are really spoilt for choice!

In a nutshell the GT's are a real HELL YES!! But you gotta want all loud all the time!

The video attached is as close as I could get to the same revving to 2k, then 4k, then standing start and fly by. First up is the HP, then the GT. The GT is much louder than the video suggests, I set off several car alarms on the way home!

www.bmwz8.us/movies/Z8_Exhaust_09.mov
    Andrew Macpherson

Fantastic Andrew!!

Great comparison. I am sure both versions are louder in person than on the Video. It sounds like the tone still favors the Eisenmann style sound, which is great a cruising speeds but HELLL YES (to quote you!) at the all out balls to the wall fast speeds.

Sounds like Miesterschaft is a great company and certainly one I will consider should I need to replace the Eisenmann's I have or if I am lucky enough to get another Z8!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Based on the video and your comments, I would lean toward the GT for sure, possibly the intermediate you have in the works.

Ian, you would LOVE the GT! As GM said in the earlier thread it is a lot more raucous, wild and Ferrari-like than the Eisenmann which is more of an American muscle sound, but Tracy would never ever get in the car with you again! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

So on a scale of Lucky Chuck to Norcal, the GTs are a Norcal

I'm really falling for the madly and deliciously noisy GT's, been having an absolute blast gunning them around the mountains out here above Palm Springs!
    Andrew Macpherson

Seductive, eh?

Very, very, very - keeping it!!
    Andrew Macpherson

A final word from me after 500 miles.

Although the GT's are LOUD I've really fallen for them! As mentioned above I'm keeping them, and called off getting a set specially made to fit between the very subtle HP's and the hooligan GT's. Honestly it just seems too excessive in this economy, this is a time to make do, and not get folks running around like crazy spending money and resources for what is likely only a hand full of sales.

So, after around 500 miles here is my final take on the GT's:
    1.) On the freeway.
    Heading out to Palm Springs and back I cruised along at between 3,000-3500rpm, 80-90mph in 6th with the top up and the GT's were not noticeable in the car at constant throttle, and only slightly on gentle throttle on upslopes.

2.) Top down mountain roads.
    Climbing the 6,000 ft from desert floor to Idyllwild I was between 3rd & 4th all the way up, in the 3-4500 rpm range. The pipes were very noticeable, but not too loud out in the wide open spaces, and they really let you hear how the engine is breathing. I found myself spinning the motor more than I'm used to with the stock system because I could really hear where it was lugging and where it was breathing happily. On the way down the mountain they were really rather quiet as we were mostly costing on very light throttle, except for the occasion explosive downshift. Those around me all loved the sound too, not one of my fellow drivers said it was too loud, and Carlos is ordering a set for his red car!

3.) In town.
    This is where the pipes are just a tad obnoxious, as the sound bounces back at you off every wall, and people look at you like a fool with a mid-life crisis! There is no way to pull away from the lights quietly with these pipes, even though they can cruise without too much din even gentle acceleration their hooligan nature just isn't escapable!

So there you have it - since all my driving is out in the wilds, and I never use the car in town, I'm keeping these bad boys and the big grin that goes with them!
    Andrew Macpherson

Good For You!

I loved your rationalization. Congratulations on your new exhaust.
    _________
    Andy Lytle
    2002 Z8 Silver/Black 23k
    Performance Package
    CDV Removed
    www.golytle.com

Nice write-up!! Can't wait to hear them in person.

Sport Button On
    Andrew

Thank you for putting together the sound clip. The GT is just the sound I am looking for. I will have mine installed next month.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    The video attached is as close as I could get to the same revving to 2k, then 4k, then standing start and fly by. First up is the HP, then the GT. The GT is much louder than the video suggests, I set off several car alarms on the way home!

www.bmwz8.us/movies/Z8_Exhaust_09.mov
    Good lord, this just sounds fantastic! The car sounds like it has an old pushrod big-block!

Sport Button On
    Is that the wail of a siren and blinking lights at the end of the street during the (GT's) test run? Maybe that is why you came back so fast.

Sport Button On
    Our mechanics are having difficulty installing the bulbs we recieved through our joint purchase.
    It appears the bulb have 90 degree pins and the recieving socket is 45 degrees. Would the model year have any influence?

Team Z8

Should fit with a little work.

First one fit perfect on the first try. Second took just a little longer as it wanted to pop back out the first few times.

Sport Button On
    Our first run with the GT's installed. It was fun watching people turn to see what was coming then asking themselves "what was that" as we drove past.

For convenience, I have taken the liberty of posting Andrew's video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t50i8iVWi4U

Andrew, please let me know if you wish it to come down and it will be done.

I returned my Meisterschaft HPs to Eisenhaus after what Andrew went through. I originally talked to Eisenhaus about returning them right after Andrew had installed the HPs and discovered that the sounds really wasn't any different from the stock. Robert asked me to wait until they had found a compromise for Andrew, which I did, but I think the GTs are too loud for me. So I decided to stay with the stock. I had to pay the shipping cost and they charged me a 20% restocking fee, which I thought was a little steep.
    Alpina, Silver/Black

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Baillie View Post
    I returned my Meisterschaft HPs to Eisenhaus after what Andrew went through. I originally talked to Eisenhaus about returning them right after Andrew had installed the HPs and discovered that the sounds really wasn't any different from the stock. Robert asked me to wait until they had found a compromise for Andrew, which I did, but I think the GTs are too loud for me. So I decided to stay with the stock. I had to pay the shipping cost and they charged me a 20% restocking fee, which I thought was a little steep.
    Don't forget the good ole Eisenmann exhaust. I've got it and love it far more than stock!!!!!!!
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Eisenmann

Been following the muffler posts and I'll have to say my Eisenmann's may not be that pretty but I sure love the sound, not to loud, just right for my ears.
    Pandaman

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    Been following the muffler posts and I'll have to say my Eisenmann's may not be that pretty but I sure love the sound, not to loud, just right for my ears.
    Pandaman
    Agreed
    When it comes to exhaust, it's ALL about the tips and the sound!!!!
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

The Eisenmann's are awesome, and if we could still get them I'd say they are a great pipe, and every bit the equal of the GT's just different. They are deeper, throatier and quieter at cruise, overall certainly less obnoxious than the GT's, but then GT's do have that something extra special when you're really getting a move on out on the back roads!
    Andrew Macpherson

After having driven behind you in SLO, they sounded about the same as the Eisenmanns....I thought, but driving behind Rifle on the trip home, all I could hear was mine! So yes, the GTs must be fairly louder....in a good way to my ear. Not too obnoxious at all from where I sat.

I have the Eisenmanns, but would really like the GTs better I think, but then again, I'm not prone to automotive subtlety!

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    If someone has purchased the GTs at the original price and has had a change of mind, I'll buy them from you and save you the restocking fees.

Presently, their prices are in par with the Eisenmann's and, hence, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger until I hear each of these two choices in person.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

The GT's are louder and sharper, the Eisenmann's are deeper, calmer, more civilized and overall easier to live with. Only buy the GT's if you're ready for a continual walk on the wild side!
    Andrew Macpherson

I was going to wait and hear yours before making a decision. From everything I read here, the GTs sound awesome. I'm just afraid that they may be a bit too much for longer trips (e.g., a trip I'm planning to San Jose towards the end of summer).
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

No, it really isn't. I did Palm Springs and also Cambria with them, they are loud, right on the edge of too loud, but not over the edge. You can really hear the motor, and you'll find yourself actually driving the car better because of it, they really do help plug you into the driving experience better, especially on twisty back roads. I now have to return to NYC for another shoot next week, so looks like our drive up the crest will have to be closer to the end of the month!
    Andrew Macpherson

OK, thanks for the info. I'll go ahead with the GTs.

Best of luck with the shoot at NYC.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

Thumbs up

I just picked up my car from the dealership with the GT's installed.

Oh.
    My.
    GOD.

It's like Andrew said - people walking down the street must think I'm adding insult to injury, driving around in this thing with such a sh*t-eating grin.

Let's just say I took an 80-kilometer detour home. I have to pack tonight and go to San Diego tomorrow for a week or so, but I just can't put the car in the garage.

The car is utterly transformed. It sounds like an AC Cobra. It sounds, as others have gushed, the way this car was always meant to sound.

Two GIGANTIC thumbs up for this upgrade. Dollar for dollar, one of the very best I've ever made to any car. Period!!!

Oh, and as I left the dealership, virtually the entire service and mechanical department stood on the curb to listen, Scout's honor.

My service rep reiterated what others have said here: they have installed numerous aftermarket systems on the M5 and Z8, and the GT is from another planet.

Gotta go...

Nice!!

Why are the rear lights flickering?
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

Just did some research - it's an illusion created by my camcorder, which at its current fps is capturing the neon's flicker. Front lights are showing the effect too.

Now that's the sound of FUN!

Are meisterschaft exhausts made in Germany? Meisterschaft means championship in German, so I can't find anything with a google. The video of the Z8 on the GTHaus website was recorded in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Grease Monkey View Post
    This just in: The first 10 Board members who order a set of Meisterschaft mufflers, this month only, will receive a substantial discount on the price. Current retail is $2200 but if you tell them you are a Board member and that Grease Monkey, aka Bruce Jodar, sent you, your price will be $1750! This will be the only discount offered so if you are thinking of purchasing a set, don't hesitate. Phone number is 630-787-1600. Ask for John or Robert.
    Damn, They're up to almost $3000.00! Should have gotten them a while ago. That exchange rate is killing me.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    Please HELP

Now I want to change my exhaust, does anybody knows if Meistershaft is legal here in Switzerland ????
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

I have no idea about the laws there, but the systems are made over there I believe, so you should be able to find them in Europe, I'd suggest Google the name where you are, and see what you find.
    Andrew Macpherson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last