Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Meisterschaft Exhaust - Fantastic Sound

Z8 Novice

Who Cares!

I believe that the Meisterschaft exhausts are made in Korea but location is not relevent.
    The answer in my humble opinion is:
    Don't ask and Don't tell. It's worth any potential problem that may arrise.
    They sound great and you will fall in love all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8-NL View Post
    tried link but seems "video is private" and did not want to show itself
    Sorry - try now.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    Meistershaft is impossible to find in Switzerland so I have ordered the Eisenmann, which is legal here , after reading all the posts I think it is a good solution.
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

Z8Mania
    Wow sounds great!

Well my titanium exhausts arrived from the group buy today. They weigh 3.35 kilos `(~7.4lbs) each if anyone is interested.

The mufflers are now installed...the stock mufflers weighed 9.1kilos (20lbs) vs 3.35 kilos (7.4lbs) for the titanium meisterschafts. Those figures are per side. Construction quality is great...forgot to take pictures before I installed them, dangit...hey at least I weighed them.

The sound, like everyone says, is awesome when you hit the gas. I was pleasently surprised, though that they aren't so obnoxious when you are taking it easy. They're not quiet, but not look at me loud either. Just keep it below 2000rpm and go light on the gas and it's not embarrassing to drive around town. Once the engine warms up, idle is actually quiet. On the other hand, kick it out in the countryside and wow!!!!!!!!! Note: I have the Dinan headers on my car too.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Hello all!

We are installing my Meistershaft GTs today. Any installation instructions or installation hints?

Thanks in advance,

Philip Thackray
    61115 Topaz/Crema

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar

eisenmann

Eisenmann installed....
    I should have done this sooner.
    Fantastic sound and the impressions is that is going faster
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

The Meisterschaft muffler lacks a mounting location for the braided wire that hooked up to the original muffler. What is this wire for? A grounding wire for corrosion protection? I wonder why they did not use this wire strap on the replacement mufflers?

Phil

61115 Topaz/Crema

Quote Originally Posted by Thackray View Post
    The Meisterschaft muffler lacks a mounting location for the braided wire that hooked up to the original muffler. What is this wire for? A grounding wire for corrosion protection? I wonder why they did not use this wire strap on the replacement mufflers?

Phil

61115 Topaz/Crema
    I just attached it to the mounting bolt.

ZMates,

Interesting. I?ll have to talk to my mechanic to determine if he choose not to attach the wire to a mounting location or if the wire length did not fit. I thought he told me the wire was too short to go anywhere else.

Any idea what the wire is for?

Phil

The straps should be long enough to connect to one of the mounting points at the rear of the new can.

My guess is that they're grounding straps as the exhaust system aft of the headers is isolated for vibration. Failing to reconnect the straps could lead to issues with the oxygen sensors.

thegunguy

Meisterschaft GT Z8 spec.

Anyone ordering the Meisterschaft: If you want the "Loud and Proud" sound that Andrew has, this is NOT the regular GT, it is a special Z8 spec GT system. Be sure to tell them that this is what you want.

The regular GTs are not even as loud as the Eisenmanns "race". They do have a nicer top end... more high pitch exotic sound, that I love, but lack the low end growl. The Z8 Spec GTs are the @#$!

I can confirm this too. I've had time in and behind both Andrew and Norcal's cars, and Andrew's Meisterschafts are greatly different than standard GTs in Norcal's car. Compared to the Eisenmann Race and Andrew's special Z8 GT's, the standard GTs are too tame for me until you really wind up the revs (maybe 4k or greater).

I'd assess the comparison of the products in order of sound desirability and volume as:
    1) Andrew's Meisterschaft Z8 spec GT
    (dynamic across the range with an exotic character - "tame-ish" at steady throttle)

2) Eisenmann Race
    (dynamic low and mid trailing off at high revs giving it a "German muscle" character - tame at steady throttle)

3) Meisterschaft GT - standard spec from group buy
    (nice sound at high revs giving it a bit of small V8/f-car sound - tame at steady throttle and low revs)

4) Eisenmann Sport
    (think stock up a few dBs.)

5) Stock
    (good but lacking)
    thegunguy

Sadly, I haven't been able to convince Lisa of the need for an upgrade to Andrew's exhaust.

Sure wish I had known that the GT I was buying was not the GT that everyone was raving about!!!!

It is kind of bad that those guys who did the group buy messed everyone up by changing the systems. Although they did swap out my exhaust when I orginally said it was no different from stock I wouldn't say it was a pleasure dealing with them, and based on this second batch of quiet pipes I think we should maybe aviod them in the future and try to find a better sound solution.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

They have scrapped their entire "customer service" dept, and started over a couple months ago. The product is very good, and now it seems their service may be as well. They are sending me the new "Z8 spec" system.

That is certainly good to know!
    Andrew Macpherson

Meisterschaft & GoProHD YouTube test

Andrew, how do I embed a video in a post?

Full HD version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHqOO..._order&list=UL

Perhaps a good place for front facing camera. Mounted at the top of the windshield, inside, just to the left of the rearview mirror. Shows the hood and the gauges
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSchmi.../0/3iC8zJez8EI

I like the last one.

I like that it shows the gauges, and a good view of the road. Sorry to have missed you guys in SF. I was all over the state that week visiting colleges with my daughter.

That is so naughtily good. It's noticeably more open the the other Meisterschafts, which were pretty dull around town when we were playing about before. Like Andrew's car, the snap-crackle-and-pop factor is such fun with the right foot. Love it!

Even for HD, Youtube compresses video and audio quite a bit, which is probably why you're hearing the quality drop. Try Vimeo?

To embed, copy the "embed" link (click "more" at the bottom) from the properties of the YT file. Then you can paste the iFrame.

Your neighborhood looks wild in reverse and at wide-angle.
    thegunguy

thegunguy

Thanks for the video posting tip, I'll try that. As for the quality, once I started uploading in HD, directly from imovie, it all got better...very slow, but better.

Depending on which version of iMovie you're using, the audio controls and output are vastly different. iMovie '09 was a good move to a new paradigm, but it did so at the cost of key features from older versions, particularly audio. The latest version, '11 refocused on bringing back previous tools, and the audio editing is much better.

It's odd that it was better with the direct upload versus. building the file, then upload. If you're bored, give Vimeo a look. It's better suited for quality over consumption.

Sorry I missed you today. Can't wait to hear the car in person.
    thegunguy

Hey guys, sorry to be late to the video chat, got caught up in other stuff yesterday. I use Vimeo for all our old clips, and love it, so the summer tour clip and also the old Buttonwillow clip live there, and can be linked to easily. It is fun to see the pros and cons of the old Chase cam. (worse quality, easier placement and great audio).

A clip of a Z8 at Buttonwillow Raceway from Andrew Macpherson on Vimeo.

This clip was made as a test of the 'Chase Cam' in Sept 2004. It was a DV8 capture system that's been completely superseded by the current GoPro range of on board equipment. The one advantage of the Chase Cam was very small and light, allowing for the possibility for more unusual placements.

Andrew Macpherson

Looking at the old chaseCam video, I notice how much longer the lens is/was. The GoPro really is so much better (full HD) and easier (fully contained recorder). It's not any harder to find a good mounting, as it's about the same size, but the wide angle changes your options for sure. I only wish it had an external mic input.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Looking at the old chaseCam video, I notice how much longer the lens is/was. The GoPro really is so much better (full HD) and easier (fully contained recorder). It's not any harder to find a good mounting, as it's about the same size, but the wide angle changes your options for sure. I only wish it had an external mic input.
    The external mic would be nice. I can hear your GoPro vibrating on the mount.
    thegunguy

Yes, but it's much less than all the wind noise with the semi-open case!

We really need a system that is three pieces: 1) image sensor (capture only w/ buffer), 2) remote mic, and 3) processor. #3 could even be an iPhone, assuming you'd buffer some at the remotes and connect via BT or wifi. If you separate the processor, the camera and mic could be really tiny with today's miniaturization.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Reading about your experiences with the Meistershaft exhaust makes me curious as to whether any of you are using 200 cell cats in conjunction with your exhaust systems. Does anyone even make a sport cat for the Z8, and if so, does anyone have experience with them? I have found in the past that sport cats provide a bit more hp, and allow for a bit more mellow sports exhaust, as the combination of the two with the cats and the GT exhaust would be too much.

I have no experience with removing cats on cars, but I do on bikes, and it does clean up the airflow and keep the entire unit a bit ooler too. It may confuse the O2 sensors in the Z8's system, but I don't have the knowledge of how it works to really know, but there is no issue with removing the cats from BMW's bikes.
    Andrew Macpherson

I do remember that Dana said that headers or different cats can throw codes due to the way they heat up (or don't heat?).

I know of no one using aftermarket cats, except maybe Greasemonkey. As Andrew and Norcal note, doing so would impact the emissions system, requiring modified software. Even with the software, I'd guess that it'd push us in CA past the smog line, which we're already very close on hydrocarbons.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Thanks for the great information. I had presumed that the Z8 would be like many of the higher-end BMW's that would benefit from a set of sport cats (replacing the OEM variety), as it would breathe better, provide a throatier sound, add a bit of HP and complement the Dinan headers. As I am not a CA resident, I did not realize that the cats might provide a problem for passing smog tests.

Sure, different cats could improve sound and performance, but they would require a software change, as with most any car with modern emissions monitoring. The cats also live in the mid-pipe with the resonators. So, they'd be costly by comparison to just changing the exhaust, especially considering the cost of precious metals these days. That combined with the limited production numbers of the Z8, means there aren't many aftermarket options for our cars. The full Dinan kit is a nice upgrade to the Z8, and while you might pick up a few HPs with less restrictive cats, I don't think it'd really add anything noticeable in performance. Not to discourage anyone that wants to take on a cat project, but I'm guessing they'd be way down on the bang-for-your-buck meter.

If it's just sound you're after, the Meisterschaft "Z8 spec", not the relatively tame GT, give plenty of raucous sound. I just spent the weekend driving in a pack of six cars, two of them having the Z8 spec pipes, and believe me, they're LOUD. I could easily hear Norcal's car behind me over my Eisenmann Race specs. They're delicious!
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Thanks, Gunguy. I am just starting to learn about the intricacies of the Z8, and when I do get one, I hope to benefit from the mods that this group has found to be useful. You are right about the small production run of the Z8 and its affect on some aftermarket solutions.

My plan is to use the mods that many of you have. Now I just need the car! BTW, the videos of the "Z8 spec" Meistershaft do sound great!

With my exhaust research on the straight pipe project recently, I thought it'd be good to clarify some of the nomenclature on the Meisterschafts should anyone be looking to place an order for them.

Meisterschaft as of 12/2011 offers 3 sound levels:
    HP - slightly louder than stock
    GT - similar to the Eisenmann race but less low end rumble
    GT2 Z8 Forum - this is the mad hooligan set from Andrew's earlier comparison videos

IMPORTANT
    The pipes from Andrew's videos were originally labeled 'GT'. However, it appears that somewhere in the conversion from Eisenhaus to GTHaus, this name changed to GT2, and the GT name was moved to an in-between product. I believe this is why the group buy form several years back ended up with a quieter product when they ordered the GT.

If you want the exhaust from Andrew's video, order the GT2, not the GT.
    thegunguy

The GT pipes I had were hardly any louder than stock, and everyone who has subsequently bought GT's has been unhappy with them. I have not heard a GT set yet that sound anything like as good/loud as the Eisenmann Race. Honestly it isn't worth buying any of these pipes excapt the GT2.
    Andrew Macpherson

I thought you had the HPs. At least that's what you tested against your current exhaust (GT2 Z8 Forum Spec but was then called the GT).
    http://bmwz8.us/vbb/showpost.php?p=15602&postcount=38

LOL - it's all so confusing.

My recommendation would be:
    1. if you want to improve the sound, but not go crazy, get the GT (I'd actually recommend the Eisenmann Race for this, but they're KIA).
    2. if you want the fun hooligan sound, it's GT2 Z8 Forum Spec.
    3. if you're considering the HPs, keep the stock until they rust out.
    thegunguy

The ones I have are GT, but the GT's they sold after seemed to be HP's, so the GT2's are what to get.
    Andrew Macpherson

So I'm finally getting around to upgrading my exhaust. I contacted GtHaus today to buy the Meistershaft GT2s (Z8 forum edition) but they are about 6-8weeks out to get them. The Eisenmann GTs are $500 more but are available now.

Not much for waiting once the decision is made...any thoughts?

Not sure what you mean by GT....

I am not sure what the Eisenmann GTs are? They make a Sport and a Racing version. I have the Eisenmann Race Exhaust for the Z8 and am VERY pleased with it.

Others have had the Eisenmann Race Versions, they liked them too but have subsequently have switched to the Miestershaft for various reasons and still like the Miestershaft due to it's more "European, aka Ferrari-ish, sound" as the Eisenmann to me sounds like a refined American Muscle car from the late 60s and early 70s. Notice I stated "refined" as it does NOT have that loud drone or the sound of the glass packs of old. Just a very low rumble that really opens up and sounds great when you throttle it. Perfect sound when cruising. I like them. But, get the RACE version and no the plain GTs as those are really no different than the stock sound level.

I believe you can still find the Eisenmann Race Exhaust (I think - it was several months ago but seems like I saw a set on ModBargin.com). AT least via that vendor, still takes 4-6 weeks.

z8 exhaust ModBargins
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

My mistake, I meant Eisenmann Race

Quote Originally Posted by 1mean3 View Post
    So I'm finally getting around to upgrading my exhaust. I contacted GtHaus today to buy the Meistershaft GT2s (Z8 forum edition) but they are about 6-8weeks out to get them. The Eisenmann GTs are $500 more but are available now.

Not much for waiting once the decision is made...any thoughts?
    Hello - no longer an owner but wanted to urge you to wait for the Meisterschafts. The exhaust note absolutely transforms the car. Save the $500 and smile every time you put your foot down.

P.S. judging by your photo, you are also in Vancouver.

The lads at Auto West did a great job installing the Meisterschafts. The guy at the time was Kevin Holter in service.

DSC Off
    So, looking at exhaust, Meisterschaft's website lists two types; Racing Performance and the GT2 (Z8 Forum Edition). What does the GT2 Forum Edition sound like? Several videos of the Racing exhaust posted, but I haven't seen anything on the GT2. Loud? Compared to the Racing exhaust? I'm looking for something louder than the stock, but not real loud. Any idea why it's called the Forum Edition? Was it this Forum's input? Thoughts please?
    Thanks!
    Tom

Yes, for most of us the Racing was simply too quiet, it was barely any different from stock, so we got them to make a proper blood and thunder pipe for us, hence the name. All the videos here are the Forum edition.

Here on this clip you can hear the Racing first, then the Forum Edition.

http://www.bmwz8.us/movies/Z8_Exhaust_09.mov
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    I don't know - it's hard to tell which is louder because you are having way too much fun with the Forum exhaust. Looks like the GO pedal was pressed down more on the second run! Good enough for me ~ I'm convinced!
    Thanks for the input and glad I asked. I thought the Racing was louder...

Tom

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Very nice sound!!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Yes, for most of us the Racing was simply too quiet, it was barely any different from stock, so we got them to make a proper blood and thunder pipe for us, hence the name. All the videos here are the Forum edition.

Here on this clip you can hear the Racing first, then the Forum Edition.

http://www.bmwz8.us/movies/Z8_Exhaust_09.mov

I like the Forum Edition sound; can we still buy it from Meisterschafts? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    I can confirm this too. I've had time in and behind both Andrew and Norcal's cars, and Andrew's Meisterschafts are greatly different than standard GTs in Norcal's car. Compared to the Eisenmann Race and Andrew's special Z8 GT's, the standard GTs are too tame for me until you really wind up the revs (maybe 4k or greater).

I'd assess the comparison of the products in order of sound desirability and volume as:
    1) Andrew's Meisterschaft Z8 spec GT
    (dynamic across the range with an exotic character - "tame-ish" at steady throttle)

2) Eisenmann Race
    (dynamic low and mid trailing off at high revs giving it a "German muscle" character - tame at steady throttle)

3) Meisterschaft GT - standard spec from group buy
    (nice sound at high revs giving it a bit of small V8/f-car sound - tame at steady throttle and low revs)

4) Eisenmann Sport
    (think stock up a few dBs.)

5) Stock
    (good but lacking)
    I bought my Z8 with an Eisenmann exhaust on it; is there a way to know which one I have, the Sport or the Race? Thanks,

I would say if it is barely more than stock, you may not have the race. The race is noticeably louder. Compare side by side to someone with a stock setup? The meisterschaft forum edition is full hooligan!

Andrew & Norcal,

Do you guys have the Meisterschaft GT2 Racing (Z8 Forum Edition) or the GT Racing? I am assuming either one will pass smog in CA! And which one is louder the GT2 or the GT? Thanks guys for your input!! ;-)

The Z8 Forum edition is the fun one, anything else is a waste of money in my book. It really makes the car such fun to drive, and it's only a sound deadener, it has no effect at all on the anti smog stuff, that's all further inboard beneath the center of the car.
    Andrew Macpherson

Forum edition

Thank you both for your responses; I guess I will remove the existing Eisenmann and replace it with the Meisterschaft GT2 Racing Z8 Forum Edition; the Titanium one runs close to the $4K vs. about $2k for the SS. Another decision to make!!

Gaby

The weight difference is about 1/4 gallon of gas to keep it in perspective.
    Andrew Macpherson

Shoot, that is it?? I guess I am going with the SS!
    Thanks,

yes, it is on the end of the exhaust muffler...

Quote Originally Posted by Z8 4JR View Post
    I bought my Z8 with an Eisenmann exhaust on it; is there a way to know which one I have, the Sport or the Race? Thanks,
    not sure which end though. You have to climb under to look. It will be stamped "Z8 Race".
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Thanks for the info Jeff! I will check it out!

These showed uo

So this is happening today

Time for new music

You'll be very happy!
    Andrew Macpherson

I know it's been mentioned many times by many others on this fourm but....

Wow. they sound awesome! Best $2k I've spent yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mean3 View Post
    I know it's been mentioned many times by many others on this fourm but....

Wow. they sound awesome! Best $2k I've spent yet.
    How about a sound clip?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Finally upgraded the exhaust - Meistershaft GT video clip

I have been planning an exhaust upgrade for years, but had not pulled the trigger. Always thought I would go with the Meisterschaft Forum edition, but then I saw a very lightly used Meistershaft GT exhaust for sale on this board and ended up buying it for $1K shipped. The install was $260 at the local BMW dealer and here is the end result. Not a "hooligan" install but as I use the Z8 as my daily driver during the spring to fall season, I really can't be a menace to society...:

Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Sounds great! Need to raise the camera a bit...

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Love that sound !
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Sounds great! Need to raise the camera a bit...
    Norcal, you're right, but... I wanted to show the Tachometer number one and secondly any higher position the wind noise drowned the engine sound. I did another run with the camera on the trunk lid and while the angle was a lot better, the sound was significantly worse due to the wind. Oh well... I wasn't going for an Academy Award anyway
    Skip Hammerman

2013 BMW X3

Z8 Novice
    If anyone has an exhaust system they would like to sell, please let me know. Thanks.
    Steve Schuh
    [email protected]
    443 255 4246

rgibson
    Has anyone tried replacing the rear mufflers completely and just replacing it with a straight pipe? This seems to be a popular mod on the M5 forums and the sound clips sound similar to the Meisterschaft GT2 Racing (Z8 Forum Edition) sound clips posted here. The Meisterschaft mufflers might not have much more internal sound baffling than just a straight pipe!

Rory.

I have suspected that the forum edition is just empty cans!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2