Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Eisenmann vs Meisterschaft

After reading thru this, I feel bad.

The Daisey chain with the Quaiffe LSD and the group buy on the Eisenmann Mufflers went extremely well.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Yep, sadly GT Haus were really not cool to deal with in any way, shape or form.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Yes, but eisenmann was through GT Haus too??

Ok...Ran the car for a few weeks after having OE mufflers and resonators removed...definitly to loud to run the streets of Socal and frankly not sophistcated at all...I once had an El Camino that sounded better.

Today we installed four (2/side in line) Magnaflow Racing mufflers...very small 4"od X 6" in lenth

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9431

The car sounds great!! DB's I would guess dropped by maybe 10...but really cleaned up the barbling tinny "La Bamba" sound of the straight pipes. A nice throaty tone that may still be a bit much for the guys that like the stock sound...but a fairly reasonably priced alternative to the big $$ systems.

I will try to get a video posted as soon as I can.
    FYI...Herb's Automotive in Signal Hill worked with me on the sience project.
    About $1,100 including the 4 little mufflers. Very clean install...
    Kevin

Nicely done. It looks like you just replaced the OE resonators with the Magnaflows and removed the OE mufflers. I'm anxious to hear the video.

My last two weeks have been decimated with a family crisis. I'm catching up like mad this week, but I'm hoping to pull the Eisenmanns this Saturday and run with just the resonators. This will be a good comparison with your install. My guess is that they'll be quite similar as the Magnaflows likely perform similar to the OE resonators.
    thegunguy

Any idea what the weight savings is with this exhaust configuration?

Seems like we have the stock vs Eisenmann weight savings on here somewhere. I'll reweigh everything when I experiment soon.
    thegunguy

I think the OEM mufflers were around 22lbs each from memory, the Miestershafts were 12lb, saving around 20lbs, but this stripper system should save around 35lbs.
    Andrew Macpherson

Nice install....

I too am anxious to hear the video. The Eisenmanns I think sound great for my tastes and hence, not likely to switch again, even though this configuration may save a few pounds, to me, the additional expenditure of $1100 on top of what I have already spent for the Eisenmanns is probably not worth it.

I do have a new e93 M3 cabrio (the spouse's car) though that needs some exhaust tuning so this / something similar might work.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    I do have a new e93 M3 cabrio (the spouse's car) though that needs some exhaust tuning so this / something similar might work.
    I'd kill for the video of Cindy sitting on a stop light revving up that bad boy after the new exhaust. If she's got a grin on her face...priceless!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2017 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaney View Post
    Today we installed four (2/side in line) Magnaflow Racing mufflers...very small 4"od X 6" in lenth

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9431
    Have I totally misunderstood what resonators are? The Magnaflow racing mufflers are exactly what I understood our resonators were: a perforated section of pipe surrounded by a larger section of pipe that creates an acoustic cavity. (i.e. a helmholtz resonator). If I haven't misunderstood that, there is not much reason to take out the resonators as they do not create significant acoustic impedance (they don't reduce engine power). However, they are not broadband sound absorption devices, so they are usually combined with mufflers that provide broadband sound absorption (and do have a high acoustic impedence).
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

I'm also a bit confused, is there any 'padding' in there at all, or is it just a perforated pipe within and empty can that breaks and scatters the sound waves?
    Andrew Macpherson

My understanding is similar to ZMates. The resonators provide some level of sound level reduction and to a lesser degree tuning.

I think it's in another thread, but Kevin mentioned that he could have used the resonators vs. the Magnaflow. However, for the "experimental" phase his shop made the cut behind the cats to test what an emissions "legal" straight pipe would be like. From his comments, it was both too loud and raw. I'm not sure why the shop didn't suggest testing with the resonators, but I could see it being easier just to weld up a new pipe with the Magnaflows.

So, my thought is that eliminating the mufflers while using the stock resonators will have a very similar sound to Kevin's setup with no resonators and the tiny Magnaflows in place of the original or aftermarket mufflers. Further, I have a hunch either of these options will likely sound pretty close to the Meisterschaft Z8 spec. If it's too loud, I'm also curious about placing something like the Magnaflows behind the resonators.

My hope is that we can find a reasonable alternative to the frankly ridiculously priced Meisterschafts from GTHaus. They're wanting $5k for the Z8 spec now. I'm sorry, but that's just not right, especially considering their past service record.

I'll know more Saturday morning assuming all goes to plan. However, plans aren't working to well in my life of late.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I'm also a bit confused, is there any 'padding' in there at all, or is it just a perforated pipe within and empty can that breaks and scatters the sound waves?
    OK, here's the theory:

A "pure" helmholtz resonator is just an acoustic capacitance (the cavity) and an acoustic inductance (the perforations). The imdepance and inductance combine to form a resonance exactly like a weight attached to the end of a spring. If you hold the other end of the spring and move your hand up and down at different frequencies, at certain frequencies your hand will move, but the weight will not and at other frequecies the weight will move more than your hand does. The frequencies that the weight moves the most are the fundamental resonance plus the harmonics.

If the resonator was a pure inductance/capacitance helmoltz resonator, there would be no reduction in sound energy. The noise reduction comes about because there is also resistance in the resonator. The perforations create drag when air moves through the holes, the cavity is also filled with insulation that also creates drag when air is moving through it. The resistance reduces the sound energy, but it only does so when there is air moving through the perforations and in the cavity itself, i.e. at the resonance frequencies. At the non resonance frequencies, it's not doing much at all. You can, however, connect another helmoltz resonator tuned to half (or a quarter, eight, etc.) of the fundamental resonance of the first resonator to increase the frequency range where you get attenuation.

Another factor to consider is that the helmholtz resonator only works when a quarter wavelength of the sound is large compared to the dimensions of the cavity. This means at higher frequencies the resonator is also not doing anything.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Great stuff.

Unfortunately, the parts catalog doesn't give us much to go on either. BMW lists what we typically refer to as the resonators as the "center silencer".
    thegunguy

Gun,
    I suspect you are right....OE resonators will likey sound
    Similar to mine depending on what they are packed with?
    I have thought if still a bit to loud.. Easy to add another
    Up by the tips where the old mufflers were.

I pulled the passenger side tonight. Tomorrow morning, I'll pull the driver side. When done, I'll have the stock cats and resonators but no mufflers.

I fired it up to test even with one side. I think it's going to work.

Norcal may be coming by in the morning with his Z8 Forum Spec Meisterschafts for comparison. We even talked about getting an iPhone dB meter to measure different RPMs, etc.
    thegunguy

I'm going to move this thread over to the Upgrades section with all the other exhaust threads to help us find it later.
    thegunguy

I just got back from a drive without the Eisenmanns, and my initial thought is this is going to work those looking for the "hooligan" sound similar to Meisterschaft Z8 Forum Spec. Norcal was going to come by with his Meisterschaft car for comparison, but he wasn't able to make it. We're going to try again next week.

The sound is very similar to my recollection as the Meisterschaft Z8 spec (MeZ8). The MeZ8 has a little more reverb and what I'd describe as a more tightly focused sound. However, the difference could be attributed to my testing with the raw pipes under the car (about even with the axle). Having a completed pipe to the false tips in the lower bumper could deliver the slight change in focus.

You definitely get more snap, crackle, and pop on overrun, just like the MeZ8 (which is one of the fun reasons to have them). The sound is at its best in the low to mid RPM range, but I think this is more of a trait of the S62 as I've yet to hear a Z8 system that has that small V8 wail as revs build (would be great).

Low RPM and steady state cruising was no different than the Eisenmanns, which are as tame as the stock configuration. So, freeway cruising should be very comfortable. I didn't get on to the freeway since the lower bumper is still off the car. However, any change in RPM creates immediate delicious noise, just like the MeZ8. Driving my neighborhood was whisper quiet with controlled throttle.

The next step is to test with Norcal's car and get another owner's opinion. Again, we hope to do that soon. I do think the setup has enough potential that I'm going to have pipes made to approach the tips. The great thing is that I can take in my Eisenmanns as a pattern to have the pipes bent. Seems like it would be cheap enough to do for a test, and I really want to know how the sound will be out of the back of the car, not under it.

More to come, but this is looking pretty good.

I'm really kicking myself for not doing some dB testing with the Eisenmanns first for before/after comparison.
    thegunguy

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    Great work and reporting. Looking forward to the followup work.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

Latest update:

Norcal made it by for a bit yesterday afternoon, and we got to do some comparisons. We used an iPhone sound meter app to measure the sound levels of each setup. Certainly, the app wouldn't pass for scientific, but it works for comparison. At idle, cruise, accelerating, revving and blipping, the no-muffler setup measured basically identical sound levels, usually 1 or 2 dBs apart if not the same.

The tone is close but different. That's to say casual observers would probably not spot the difference, but our calibrated Z8 ears could hear different voices. The comparative description of the Meisterschafts would be "tighter". The sans-muffler setup was more boomy/echo-ey (those are scientific words, obviously). There's also more tenor in the Meisterschaft, but again, it's not too far off.

So, why the difference?

Well, my test sans-muffler setup is as-is from removing the Eisenmanns, which means the pipes stop about at the rear axle, where the pipes were cut several years ago. So, the sound exits the pipes well underneath the car. Furthermore, the pipes stop right were the heat shielding for the original mufflers starts, creating a bit of a megaphone effect. Also, the system length is about two feet shorter. If you consider these three factors, I "believe" they explain some of the sound difference.

So, what's next?

This morning, I'm headed to my local muffler guys to get them to create pipe extensions using my Eisenmanns as templates. This should be super basic, and it will help answer the difference on the sound compared to the Meisterschafts on Norcal's car. If the sound doesn't tighten up a bit, I may try a small inline muffler that could be sourced easily for anyone. Again, my goal with this project is to get a great sound at much more reasonable price that we can support for many years to come. Plus, this will be a great way to shed quite a bit of weight from both OE and aftermaket setups. "Simplify, and add lightness" ~Colin Chapman

The overall take-away from our comparison was that the sans-muffler option is very livable with sound performance just like Meisterschaft. It's quiet when you want it to be and hooligan loud when you want that too. Norcal was really surprised at how civil my car is without mufflers. I guess the resonators and the dense cats do a lot to tone down the madness. It'd be totally acceptable as an improvement with the sound as-is, but if I can tighten it up just a tad, it will be even better.

Klaney, I have two questions:
    1) What did you do about the void in where the OE mufflers or aftermarket mufflers would live? I have a concern that this cavity will become a high-pressure pocket at speed, possibly deforming the lower bumper, or even worse popping the joints and letting it drag. I'm considering having a plate integrated in the pipe that would prevent this.

2) I just realized that you did four Magnaflows (tow per side). They do like REALLY small, but I can't find them on their site. The link you posted leads to product that is 30" in length. Your's look abut 6".

PHOTOS:
    1) lower bumper removed - Eisenmanns exposed
    2) note the "megaphone" effect of the heat shielding. Possible diffuser mod! LOL
    3) with Norcal in the Livermore vineyards.

thegunguy

Hey somebody was busy this weekend. Thanks for the report. This is getting really interesting now.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2017 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

Wow, you're getting much better weather up there that we are down here!
    Andrew Macpherson

The past ten days or so have been close to perfect. 60s and sun.
    thegunguy

We've had loads of cold cloudy days, and some serious downpours!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Gun, not sure why the link I posted is now going to the wrong muffler.
    Tried to copy the correct link but it's not "pasting"??
    Anways the mufflers are the 4"D x 6"L Race/Specialty series 14156
    Apparently they used to make a 12"L but now only the 6"L is available.

Never really considered the air pocket thing...but looking at it I think there is enough deflection from tire, suspension arm, etc. To prevent that from be a real issue??

I am really liking the sound by now....

Yeah, I figured you just extended to the false tips, but did you not notice that this leaves a large cavity that is exposed underneath? Exposed to the under car airstream, this could lead to more pressure on the lower fascia than with mufflers in place. I need to look everything over a little more in-depth, but there may be potential for deformation or possibly dislodging the lower fascia at speed. That wouldn't be good!

I can't get back to this until after the holidays, but I'm trying to work with Peter Pan to find an exhaust group that could also fabricate a plate to keep close put the void.
    thegunguy

Austin, TX
    i thought i would relay my most recent interaction with GT Haus. i was part of the group buy awhile back for the GT Haus meisterschaft (loudest version, they changed the name a few times making it confusing) but like most of you i wrongly received the quieter version. mine sat in my attic until late december when i finally put them on before knowing that it was wrong. nevertheless, GT Haus is very well aware of the situation and is planning to make it right. i had a very constructive conversation with jerry (630-787-1600) today and i'll be receiving the correct GT2 (z8 forum edition) at no additional cost. i encourage those who were part of that group buy who wrongly received the quieter version to give him a call. he was apologetic and very understanding. he also is keenly aware of how important this forum is to their brand and wants to clean up this mess. i should be receiving mine in late february/early march...

Good luck! I did the same thing. He said the same thing. It took almost a year to get the replacements. But I finally did, so that's good!

I just received the GT Haus formum editions and will be installing them this week. Will provide some impressions later

Sean
    2002 Black/Black

Austin, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Good luck! I did the same thing. He said the same thing. It took almost a year to get the replacements. But I finally did, so that's good!
    indeed, although i'm happy with a wait as the quieter version is already installed on the car. more importantly i'm happy that i'll be getting what it was that i paid for. jerry says he'll fast track this for february delivery (he claims they have improved the production process). nevertheless, they said that i can keep the quieter version so it looks like i'll have two sets of pipes...

He did the same for me... I sold the quieter ones to a board member

For anyone that's considering any exhaust mods in the near future, I should have reference design for the muffler elimination soon. It will provide Meisterschaft like sound at less weight and cost. More to follow.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by candersoh View Post
    i thought i would relay my most recent interaction with GT Haus. i was part of the group buy awhile back for the GT Haus meisterschaft (loudest version, they changed the name a few times making it confusing) but like most of you i wrongly received the quieter version. mine sat in my attic until late december when i finally put them on before knowing that it was wrong. nevertheless, GT Haus is very well aware of the situation and is planning to make it right. i had a very constructive conversation with jerry (630-787-1600) today and i'll be receiving the correct GT2 (z8 forum edition) at no additional cost. i encourage those who were part of that group buy who wrongly received the quieter version to give him a call. he was apologetic and very understanding. he also is keenly aware of how important this forum is to their brand and wants to clean up this mess. i should be receiving mine in late february/early march...
    Mine, still in the factory wrapper, are stamped FW 45/06. I was part of the very first group buy and specified the "race" version at the time. It has been a while now and I obviously have not installed them. Does anyone know by my I.D. stamping if I got the race version or not?

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    For anyone that's considering any exhaust mods in the near future, I should have reference design for the muffler elimination soon. It will provide Meisterschaft like sound at less weight and cost. More to follow.
    I am interested to hear your findings. Did you work out if there are any air cavitation problems with the body work?

Would the Z8 club retrofit trim piece help secure the rear fascia and prevent any problems?
    2000 Red over black

From what I can tell everyone in the group buy did not get the expected version. What was delivered was barley improved from stock and well below the Z8 Forum version (the latest name). We'll see how they do rectifying each case.

On the sans-muffler system, I'm talking to the fabricator about how to deal with the cavity. The solution will likely be some sort of integrated plate blocking air flow. The Club plate is in the center of the rear bumper and unrelated.
    thegunguy

From what I can tell everyone in the group buy did not get the expected version. What was delivered was barley improved from stock and well below the Z8 Forum version (the latest name). We'll see how they do rectifying each case.
    Any way to recognize which one you have without installing?

On the sans-muffler system, I'm talking to the fabricator about how to deal with the cavity. The solution will likely be some sort of integrated plate blocking air flow. The Club plate is in the center of the rear bumper and unrelated.
    Anxious to hear. I thought the club plate may help minimize air ingestion somewhat.
    2000 Red over black

Short of calling GT Haus and getting the markings or looking at one of the Z8 Forum edition cars, I don't have an idea of how to visually identify the various models. However, if you were part of the group buy, I'm going to say with 99.9% certainty that you don't have the Z8 Forum version (I believe this use to be the GT2 and GT before that - there have been several name changes, hence all the confusion). The only parties to get this model specifically were GM with the initial design and Andrew, after returning the lower model. Norcal was part of the group buy, and he, like all the others, received the "just above stock" version instead of the expected Z8 Forum version. As detailed below, he went through the year-long process of having them replaced by GT Haus at no cost. We'll see if their process improves.

It sounds like they're still willing to replace them, based on the previous post. So, I'd suggest calling to complain regardless.

On the Club plate, this is to protect and seal the leading edge of the center of the lower bumper where it can hang in the under-car airstream and deform over time. It doesn't have any bearing on the voids left from removing the mufflers. Two separate areas.
    thegunguy

Thanks Rifle,

I am more interested in your system. If it works out, I would prefer to go your route and maybe just sell the Eisenmanns.

Looking forward to your findings.
    2000 Red over black

After putting the Eisenmanns back on today to take the car to the fabricator, I discovered a possible advantage of removing the mufflers. While it'd be a project for the ambitious, the void left from the mufflers could potentially be recovered in added trunk space.

There's a beam that forms the inside edges of the shelves on either side of the trunk. Outboard of this beam is a trapezoidal shape, which ,from looking at drawings and photos, seems hollow below, covering only the heat shielding for the exhaust and the mufflers. By running pipes only behind the resonators, you could create two small wells on both sides of the trunk. Together you might generate one square foot of new space, which isn't much, but it'd be perfect for a hidden tool kit or smuggling illegals across the border.

Anyway, it'd likely require cutting some of the plating, but from what I can tell it wouldn't interfere with anything structural. A little extra space seems to always be needed on trips in the Z8. Could be nice.
    thegunguy

Norcal was part of the group buy, and he, like all the others, received the "just above stock" version instead of the expected Z8 Forum version.
    I bought mine in the second group buy. I don't have anything to compare it with here in CH, but it does sound an aweful lot like Andrew's videos and it's damn loud. I'm looking for ways to quiet it down. I did, however, get the titanium version, which could explain why I might be the exception.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

The ones in his drive by videos were the original pipes he had (HP at the time). He sent those back for the GT2/Z8 Forum edition (then called the GT), which is what the group buy specified. Since you ordered the titanium versions, yours may be different.
    thegunguy

I do have the full length Dinan headers (without frame/body modification) so it may end up being a good combo?

Rifle, are your exhaust manifolds stock or do you have headers?
    2000 Red over black

catching up on reading this thread and....

What was delivered was barley improved

If "barley" improved the muffler, wouldn't hops be the next logical choice to add?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8 Novice

Meistershaft

I got schnookered by Jerry at GT Haus and installed the Meistershafts from the group buy a few years back. Short of replacing with the new GT version that everyone seems to like, has anyone tried simply removing the resonator and leaving the "old" Meistershafts in place?

Not that I know of... but we've been wanting to try. We did (gunguy) try just removing the entire muffler... sounded about right, just a little "open".

Z8 Novice
    I am going to give it a try. Will post a before and after video.

Sorry for the long gap in reporting back on the gthaua meisterschaft form version exhaust

I've had them installed for 4 months or so now, but with no chance to record the sound when really performing. I took the car on a great dive with a couple of ferraris and a maserati and the z8 with these pipes sounded best

I'm also happy driving with them in the city but sometime I have to let the pipes warm up and not be too agrgresive with the revs.

Gthaua did a good - but not inexpensive - job at the end of the day. I even found a decent shop to instal them -Munich motor works in Dubai

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice

Sean
    2002 Black/Black

They are louder when cold for sure... but awesome!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2