Thread: Dinan dry sump install

Dinan dry sump install

Thought I'd start this thread to document the install of Dinan's dry sump. The sump and pump arrived. It's going to take a long while to install, though. My bike project is keeping me pretty busy at the moment and unfortunately I have to fabricate an engine mount...Dinan doesn't stock these.

Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    WOW!!! Thats quite a project. I think Dinan has a variant of our motor where they also get rid of the VANOS- the motor can sit lower in the chassis but its a rougher around the edges driving experience.

Cool, thanks for the thread!

Wow, great project, keep us posted!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

second package arrived:

--modified valve covers (sealed the holes, took some weight out, and converted to lighter E46 M3 coils)
    --oil heat exchanger delete bits
    --pulley
    --PTFE front and rear crank seals
    --freeze plugs

apparently sealing the engine is important for a dry sump install...learning as I go.

Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Looks really cool, interested to hear how it drives afterwards. Just as I'm sure your know a car with dry sump takes longer to warm up. Don't mean to go off topic here but where did you get these Dinan parts, does Dinan themselves still supply parts for the Z8?
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

The oil tank has provision for a heater, I've been thinking of putting in a twelve volt heater with a temperature controlled shutoff. Haven't looked at potential current draw, though. I'm looking at an integrated water/oil cooler--to ensure water and oil tem are the same. A temp controlled electric fan is also part of this install.

Dinan have sold out of some things for the Z8, e.g roll bars, but still sell most of their kit. Of course the parts they use for the Daytona Prototype S62s are still in stock.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    The oil tank has provision for a heater, I've been thinking of putting in a twelve volt heater with a temperature controlled shutoff. Haven't looked at potential current draw, though. I'm looking at an integrated water/oil cooler--to ensure water and oil tem are the same. A temp controlled electric fan is also part of this install.

Dinan have sold out of some things for the Z8, e.g roll bars, but still sell most of their kit. Of course the parts they use for the Daytona Prototype S62s are still in stock.
    seems like you've done your research, cant wait to hear how it drives
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

(unless you're already aware) there's an E39 M5 owner "Peter" doing the exact same thing

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post2414384

he's already had the new brackets mocked up and machined for reference

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
    (unless you're already aware) there's an E39 M5 owner "Peter" doing the exact same thing

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post2414384

he's already had the new brackets mocked up and machined for reference
    Yes, Peter was my inspiration to give it a go. What he has done to his M5 is pretty spectacular...weighs less than a Z8. Unfortunately the E39 brackets won't work for the Z8.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    Wow! Very M Pressive!

OK, I have officially gone off the deep end:

Looking at the car, I realized that after I installed the dry sump I could potentially lower the engine massively, like 4 or 5 inches. The problem, though, is the gearbox/starter ring is too big and gets in the way. So I just ordered a CIMA sequential/synchro/helical transaxle. This is pretty much the ultimate gearbox for a road car. The shifts are a bit slower than a double clutch (75ms), but it's also a LOT lighter. This is the gearbox used on the Koenigsegg, Gumpert Apollo, Pagani Zonda, Ascari, Hulme, etc. Using a transaxle will also allow me to keep a good front/back weight distribution after taking a bunch of weight out of the back (titanium exhaust, lithium battery, aluminum subframe, aluminum suspension, lighter seats, etc.)

Silver/black
    CDV delete

that's pretty f-ing badass

guess you can scrap the Z8 subframe and make yourself an ALL-Aluminum one... are you planing on running full monoball/dogbone kit?

that's pretty f-ing badass

guess you can scrap the Z8 subframe and make yourself an ALL-Aluminum one... are you planing on running full monoball/dogbone kit?
    I was toying with the idea of doing an A-arm suspension, but I think I'll stay with the BMW suspension and subframes to keep this as simple as possible and increase the odds that it actually gets done in a reasonable time. It's already a big project. I'll need to modify the front subframe to be able to lower the engine as much as possible. Of course the rear subframe needs some mods too and I'll be swapping the E39 aluminum subframe for the steel Z8 part when I do.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Wow! That will be amazing for sure. Please post weight distribution when you are done.

Wow, you're giving the Dinan Daytona prototype cars a serious run for their money. Now I'm gonna have to come to Switzerland and do a story on it!
    Andrew Macpherson

All I can say is...WOW!
    Beautiful work. I'm gobsmacked. Can't wait to see the final results.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Wow, you're giving the Dinan Daytona prototype cars a serious run for their money. Now I'm gonna have to come to Switzerland and do a story on it!
    I'll save you some trouble Andrew. I plan to do the install when I get back to the US in 2 years. I don't want any trouble reimporting the car to the US. I'll be working on preparations during that time. That would be really cool to have you take some proper pictures!

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I just love this car!
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    I'll save you some trouble Andrew. I plan to do the install when I get back to the US in 2 years. I don't want any trouble reimporting the car to the US. I'll be working on preparations during that time. That would be really cool to have you take some proper pictures!
    are they that picky reimporting a US car to the US?

i can see them doing a numbers check on the chassis and the engine, but the trans+differential?

Thats great news, I know that we'll be able to lobby Roundel to give us a story!
    Andrew Macpherson

are they that picky reimporting a US car to the US?

i can see them doing a numbers check on the chassis and the engine, but the trans+differential?
    maybe I'm too concerned about US customs, but the other thing I left out is that these mods wouldn't be legal in Switzerland.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    WOW! This is incredible!