Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: Dinan 461 BHP upgrade & frame alteration issues.

Did you by chance get the upgraded clutch/flywheel combo?

I have been reading on the M5 Board that Dinan has a unit which is stronger, lighter and longer lasting than the stock clutch, and I'm wondering if it was part of the upgrade, and if so how does it feel?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Using the stock clutch, which is working fine so far. I do have the lightened flywheel that comes with the S2 engine package, and feel no real change in how the clutch engages vs prior. The car revs faster, but how much is from the 3.64 gears vs the lightened flywheel I don't know, since they were done at the same time. There is noticeable driveline "lash" introduced by the 3.64 gears if you suddenly lift off from heavy throttle in 1st and 2nd gears-- that's a no no.

Flywheel

Rick,

You should be able to discern the improvement from the lightened flywheel by revving the engine in neutral or with the clutch engaged. It should spin up much faster to aid in downshifting, etc.
    thegunguy

Did they use a Quaife LSD with the lowered ratio?

The idea of a sloppy driveline doesn't sound too good at all, I wonder where that came from?
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    The driveline is not "sloppy", but rather wound "tighter" than before, due to the different gear ratio increasing the acceleration forces on the driveline, both up and down. You don't feel the up, but you do feel the down--- but only if you do a dumb thing in the first 2 gears. I just put it out there as an item of note, not a problem. I felt it once and never again, since it is easy to make a point of not doing the dumb thing (flooring it and then suddenly backing off the throttle in the first two gears w/o pushing the clutch in).

Ahhh, I see what you mean.....

makes perfect sense. Do you know which LSD they put in your car, as I'm going to do the Quaife LSD at some point in the new year. I'd really like to try a car with the lowered final drive ratio, because for the roads and tracks around me the ratios seem to be in a pretty good place.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Quaife 3.64

DSC Off
    you come to Portland you can try it anytime!

Z8Mania
    Andrew,
    Next time you are in NY, give me a holler and you can try my 3.64 car out.

Z8 Mods

I got out of a 2002 996 TT Porsche and bought my 2003 Z8. It is not as fast as the Porsche, but it is a much nicer car. Nicer in virtually every way, from being rare to being beautiful to being a real GT car. I will take delivery of a Ford GT in about 3 weeks, but have made the decision to keep my Z8. I have, in the past, always sold one performance car to buy the next, but this time I will buy more performance and leave the perfect Z8 alone ? well almost ? I have put in the UUC shifter, but saved the old one, and will install the CDV, and again save the old one. By the way, I have never seen the soft top of my car, as I don?t tolerate sun and like it as a coupe, so the top rack is still in the box. My point is I think that this car is very special and I would not do aftermarket things to it.

Hap

Welcome Hap!

Funny that you are the third Z8'er I know of to also get the Ford GT. I was at the track with one the other day, and the instructror who was working with the driver said it was the one of the best road cars he'd ever driven at the track.

I'd agree that if you are planning to keep your Z8 for the very long term then it might be better to keep it closer to stock, but I drove Dieter's mighty 530hp Nowack tuned Z8 last weekend while in Lake Como, and was really impressed with what an awesome car it is. It was soother, crisper, more stable and much faster, and certainly none of the upgrades detracted from the car, they only made it better. I haven't tried a Dinan Z8, but I'm sure they must also make a difference that only adds to the car, I think it all comes down to what is your Z8's mission in your stable.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off

Dinan Upgrades 2010

Ok. I am reading this thread 6 years later and I have just made a deal with Kevin to buy his car. I have a Dinan s2 e39 m5 so I know all about Dinan.
    I have just ordered all of the Dinan options for my new z8 as stated by Andrew 7 years ago, less the lightweight flywheel, which I will do when I need a new clutch.
    I understand the concept of keeping the car stock but all of the Dinan work is basically bolt on so when and if I ever sell this car I can sell it with the Dinan work and offer the stock parts as well if the buyer wants to bring it back to stock.

I know they have since changed the headers since the debacle I just read above. Having said all of that, is anyone aware of any issues these days with the package for the Z8? I actually don't think they call it an "s2" package anymore but they still offer all of the same parts less the sway bars which I don't think they offer any longer.

Any advice is appreciated, and this site is a great source for information!

The Dinan kit is very good. I have been to their main office in CA and seen the work they do. They took care of all of the cars that were altered, and have been really honest about this entire issue. If you are going to doo the work I would suggest sending the car there directly if you can.
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew, do we know which cars those were with the "Dinan Moded frame"?

No, they wouldn't release that info, nor would they tell me how many were altered or what happened to them. They did say they resolved the issue with all of the owners but one, so I guess they either bought them all back, or paid for new frames. They have one of the damaged frames at their shop, so it looks like they completely rebuilt at least one of the cars themselves.
    Andrew Macpherson

Craig,

If you do send the car to Dinan, I'll buy you lunch or dinner as I am only about an hour+ from there.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2