Thread: Tires, Tires, Tires...

Tires, Tires, Tires...

Time to replace the tires on my 2002 with 37,000 miles on it. I have been researching on the Tire Rack web site and reading reviews without coming to a final conclusion on what to buy. I do not track the car, use it as a daily commuter and I am known to go on some quite spirited drives, sometimes on extended ones with other enthusiasts.

Here is my final four: Bridgestone S-03, Dunlop Sport Maxx, Goodyear Eagle F1, Michelin Pilot Sport.

I have Brdigestones on my Boxster and had on the M5 and have been quite happy with them as an all around performance tire. I had Michelin Pilot Sports on my old 540i several years ago and was quite disappointed with the wear.

What are your thoughts on these?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

if you can get them - S03, no doubt.
    Best regards, Dieter

Quote Originally Posted by dwz8
    if you can get them - S03, no doubt.
    Dieter -

I do like the S-03's, however, I am quite intrigued by the Dunlops as they are getting some very good press and ratings.

Does anybody have any real world information on these?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete. 100,000 Mile Club
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Don't know on the Dunlop

While the "reviews" on TireRack are helpful, they come from a wide range of vehicles, which may offer differing results on our car. For the OE sizes, most Z8 owners agree that the S03 is the best option. The MPS2 seems to be the choice for non OE sizes. However, it's rumored that the MPS2 will soon be available in the OE sizes. Also, Bridgestone is realeasing a new flagship performance product, the RE-01R, that looks to be superior to their S03s - limited sizing currently.

I've been ready to switch to the S03s from the OE RFT for a few months, but I'm waiting on the potential for the MPS2s. If they're not out by the time we head for NM, I'm going to do the S03s.
    Last edited by thegunguy; September 7th 2006 at 23:53.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice

Any good tire recommendations?

My SO3s are now dead, and I just learned they discontinued this line. I'm unable to find them!

The Potenza RE-01R is not available in the rear wheel size of 275/40.

The Pilot Sport may be the only tire left, out of the top 2 referenced, and I have not really enjoyed them on my SL55. I immediately removed the stock runflats and replaced with the SO3.

My Z8 is a daily driver with 29k miles, and I do like to play a bit in the windy roads. Portola Valley/Woodside in N. Ca. is warm, and rainy with temps into the 50s in the winter. No rain.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

The successor to the S-03 Pole Position is the RE050 Pole Position. Several here have had them installed in the OE sizes, and initial impressions are favorable.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Having mine put on in the morning. Will report back.

OMG! No SO3s?

I screwed up and got new rears before Meet in the middle, and should have gotten fronts too. Now the fronts are down pretty deep into the wear bars, and the rears are still good. If anyone has some or finds some, please post it.

May have found fronts at least

I'll confirm and post friday, if they give me a verbal in-stock confirmation. They were available on their web site, and let me order them, but I'll call and check with a real person.

Ian

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

Tire recommendation

Dunlop Sport Maxx tires. I have used them on street, track and at high speed. They are fantastic.

Dave P

Z8Mania
    I like the REO50A Pole Position tires very much. I find them to be superior to the Pilot Sport (1 not 2) in every way. Be sure to get the ones marked "pole position" if they don't say it, they are not the same tire.

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Oh MAN what a difference. It's like good vodka in a way. Smooth and nice. Makes driving in that car a pleasure again. DEFINITELY worth the money.