Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: BMW E60 M5 19" OEM wheels

Sea to Sky Express

Topaz/Crema with new E60 M5 OEM wheels

Here are some photos of my 2001 car with the new wheels and tires, the Eisenmann exhaust and the European wide angle side mirrors. The photos were taken on a run up the Sea to Sky highway which links Vancouver to my house in Whistler. As some Forum members may know, this road, after major improvements before the 2010 Winter Olympics, is one of the great drives North America. It transitions from 2 lanes to one in each direction and in light traffic conditions you can drive apex to apex. It would be a fabulous road trip from those of you from the California and the Northwest.

I love the 99, driven it all the way inland to Lillooet, great and beautiful drive. Wheels and car look great too, congrats!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Love the Topaz and Crema! That is one of the best if not the best color combination! Beautiful car. And the views in the pictures aren't too bad either. Especially for someone living in Iowa. I wish we had roads like that!
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

DSC Off
    Beautiful car! The wheels match the car nicely.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Gorgeous car!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Great looking car, great views... Life is good!

As promised, more pics of a Stratus with these RIMS against the Swiss Alps in the background.

------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Driving the Z8 in the Swiss Alps is a lot of fun. No police out there, the occasional guardrail and the cliff are the only things that will keep a sensible driver in check!

------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Bruno, so you still have the U.S. tail lights. Didn't know that was permitted in Switzerland.

Very nice all around!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

The Swiss DMV does typically require a change of tail lights to EU when a car gets imported from the US. That being said, the Swiss are pragmatic folks and recognize that you can't be asked to change your tail lights if they are not available as is the case for the Z8. Since this isn't a safety concern, as long as the EU tail lights are out of stock and subject to modifying the programming of the US tail light so that they behave like the EU do, the DMV officer has the leeway to grant you a waiver. That being said this is not a written rule which leaves you in the hands of the inspector reviewing your car. The good thing is that if you get a waiver and on that basis, a Swiss certificate of registry for the car as is, even if the EU lights do become available at some point in the future, you won't be asked to make the change. Given the price of the new iteration of Z8 tail lights, I was keeping my fingers crossed for the delivery of those to get delayed...
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    I think I know where I will go next year....lovely..and a real joy to drive!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Great shots, thanks for sharing!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Wow.
    Like those on the stratus too!!
    I've now had them on my car for 6 years and I've yet to see another wheel that's tempted me to "upgrade".
    Enjoy!!
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Style 166 wheels versus Style 89s

Well, huh! I started out not liking the Style 166s—too moderne to my eyes—but as I read through this thread, they started looking better and better. I am curious about the differences between the 166s for the M5 and those for the M6; though the width and diameter are the same, the backset seems to be slightly different. Which one is a better fit for the Zed Ate? (There's another license plate forbidden by Party A.)

I don't know if they have different part numbers or not, but I'd be very surprised if they are different, it may just be the chassis set up that makes them look different?
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Doug Dolan's Avatar
    Rear wheels have different P/Ns for M5 (36117834626) and M6 (36112283160). Difference appears to be offset (M5 wheel is 28, M6 is 17).

- - - Updated - - -

Front wheels have same P/N. I don't know which rear wheel offset (28 or 17) would be better for the Z8. Maybe someone with more technical expertise will opine.
    Doug Dolan
    61297 - Stratus / Crema

bclaude

Z8 Novice

In a recent post on this thread I had provided a link to a great tool to calculate the wheel position by comparison to stock wheels.

1010TIRES.COM - Wheel Offset Calculator

Using this tool you will see that the M5 166 rim on the rear axle of the Z8 will have the exact same inside clearance as the stock Alpina rims and will extend exactly the same as the Z8 18" stock rims. In my view this rim fits the rear axle of the Z8 perfectly.

On the flip side on the front axle, the M5 166 rims will extend out 14mm more than the stock rims and 2mm more than the Alpina rims. If anything they extend out a bit too much to my taste and make the area around the front wheels hard to keep clean.

Since it it appears that the difference between the M6 and the M5 version of this rim is the offset of the rear keeping the offset of the front wheels the same, I would definitely stick the the M5 version.

------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2