Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Alpina 20" Wheels - The only real alternative stock look?

Alpina 20" Wheels - The only real alternative stock look?

Hi Guys, well I have been around the houses with the problem of which wheels to put on OL Z8 and I am justy not happy with the current M5 rims, not quite big enough too modern looking. More importantly for a Z8, not different enough! So I have come to the conclusion that the only other wheel that has a 'stock BMW' OEM look about it is the 20" Alpina wheel.
    It was originally first seen on the Z8 I believe? and just looks right! They even have the four spokes per arm to match the steering wheel, and where so many Z8's already have these wheels in various pictures etc, they are accepted as the 'other wheel option'.
    Anyway I have bought a set now and will be fitting them sometime soon, I would post a picture but as they are in lots of Z8 pictures you will know what they look like!
    Right, brake upgrade next, any suggestions now I have more space!!
    Kind regards
    Andrew

Personally I prefer the other 20" OEM option, the BMW M Sport rim, but either way I would strongly suggest that you change the suspension over to the Alpina set up with 20" rims, it is a much more compliant set up which will protect the frame in the event of a bad pot hole hit with these skinny tires. When you get the Alpina suspension installed also get the stiffer H&R swaybars put in, and the Brembo GT big brake kit.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Hi Andrew, Thanks for the advice, I will look into sourcing the Alpina kit here in the UK.
    Regards
    Andrew

Team Z8

Hmmm...those M5 wheels.

I was going to offer to take them off your hands, then thought about the cost of shipping. I still like the look of them and think there almost as good as the OE style.

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    I think that both wheels work wonderfully on silver with the slight edge to the M sport though both work better than the M5 wheel.

On the other hand, the M sports do not work nearly as well on non-silver cars and the Alpina looks right at home regardless of color.

My ATF on topaz is still the M5
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Z8 Novice
    I have these on my Z8 and absolutely love them! The handling, the look...everything.

Well, everyone has their preferences, but for me 20" wheels plus ultra low profile tires just don't look right with the classic lines of the Z8. 19" is the max imho.

The first slam dunk in a pothole will cost you more to repair / replace the rim and tire that it will be for the city to repair the pothole.

I considered low profile tires for one of my Z's and was talked out of it by the tire dealer as they had seen way to many rims damaged due to the lack of protection by the minimal sidewall.

They do look good though.

Now, about spinners......
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

I have driven 7,000 in my Alpina, including multiple trips into Manhattan. While I admit to babying the car, never in the rain, sleeps during the winter, etc. I find it is not hard to avoid pot holes and so have never had an issue with the low profile wheels. Still think they are the best looking wheel/rim option I have seen on the car yet.

I'm in agreement with Ouray. No issues with the 20" wheels/tires and 11K miles on the Alpina. I'm in the Chicago suburbs and our roads are not the best. Also no winter/rain driving with this car. I think the Alpina wheels look great... they look retro and modern at the same time.

DSC Off
    Let me take the minority view. I very much like the factory 18s on the Z8. Proportions and the styling look quite correct to me.
    LarryG

The Z8 is such a stunning car that it can carry any wheels, just as a beautiful woman can wear any shoes.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    The Z8 is such a stunning car that it can carry any wheels, just as a beautiful woman can wear any shoes.
    I think macfly's statement is spot on. Wheels (like shoes/clothing) are a very personal choice. Having said that, I saw these wheels on another website and thought they could be interesting for our cars too...

Hum.... spinners on a Z8..... hummmm....

I can't even picture wire rims on one.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Sport Button On - DSC Off Robert Linton's Avatar
    The only wheels I like better is my one off set of 20" forged aluminum Alpina wheels -- approximately 5 lbs less per wheel.

That is certainly a great weight saving for unsprung mass, and should make the car a lot more nimble. Are they exactly the same to look at, or are did you finish them in a slightly different hue?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

20" Alpinas

I have run the 20" Alpinas on my 2000 Black/Beige Z8 since almost new and absolutely love the way they look. They fill the wheel well perfectly and their design matches the steering wheel; they just look right.

Have the original wheels with original tires stored just to have them, but can't imagine that they will ever make it back onto the car!

Z8Mania
    Welcome to the board!

I agree with you, the Alpina wheels look great.

I run the Pirellis on my 20" rims, and have no issues with them, but the Michelin Super Sports are certainly the best tire on the market at the moment. If they really aren't available in OEM sizes I'd consider getting some light weight 19" HRE Comp rims like these. http://www.hrewheels.com/c90/

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    A few thoughts:

1- Pirelli. For some reason, I really don't like them. This could simply be a case of some people liking chocolate ice cream and some liking vanilla. (I like vanilla, but I love real chocolate). To me most Pirelli tires with the exception of the P Zero Corsa (semi track tires you wouldn't want on the Z8 unless you don't mind replacing them often due to fast wear and also not driving in any rain at all as they WILL hydroplane at around 55 MPH) and their winter sottozero- so most Pirelli tires feel light they never dig into the road for me. They feel like they are bouncing along on top of the road. I prefer a tire that feels like its digging into the pavement.

2- Michelin- gives me that feeling.

3- Ive bought tires from TireBuyer.com before and Ive never had a problem with them. Here are all the tires they list for the Z8:

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...er/18/page_0/2

Lookie here- they have them in stock:
    http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...tedItem/176677

I think they stock pile some of these more rare tires... ****IF**** you go with them and this is just me talking, but hard to find tires, Id consider buying a second set to have in case you hit a pothole or you just wear them out. Tires will age of course but its just how comfortable you are with buying a second set. Just rambling here. I've never been let down by having extra tires. I find they come in handy.

Whats going on with Michelin and all the tire manufacturers is the bad economy- they are not making a ton of the less popular sizes. That creates a shortage for us. I hear they are still making them but in smaller runs and they might do it once a year and thats it. FWIW, my tire buyer order took about 8 days from the day I ordered the tires for them to arrive. They were perfect. Just like ordering a CD from Amazon. They came in their own individual boxes. I was hesitant to go with an unknown vs TireRack, but The Rack didn't have them and TB did and TB delivered.

3- Beautiful wheels Andrew. That looks like a multi piece design. DogDoc, I suggest you stay away from multipiece and go with mono block. Multipiece is easier to repair but more prone to leak air. Again, just my preference, but I prefer mechanical integrity. If I damage a wheel, the only way to truly know it doesn't have micro perforations is to X-ray it, which is hideously expensive so I just replace the wheel. Wheels, tires, brakes... always better safe than sorry. Want to skimp? Skimp on the keychain.

I suggest you stay away from multipiece and go with mono block.
    Never seen one that suits the Z8.
    Andrew Macpherson

Does "mono block" = one piece?
    thegunguy

Yes, this is the HRE MonoBlock, and the BBS one is also a classic shape.

Andrew Macpherson

Yuck, awful for the Z8. Cool on say an M3 or other track day toy.
    thegunguy

Yeah, stylistically I prefer a two or three piece rim for the Z8. The OEM rims, both Z8 & Alpina are technically 'monobocks' too by the way, but there is cast, moulded and forged, all of which I understand give differing weight/strength characteristics.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Never seen one that suits the Z8.
    I reference the OEM wheel & the Alpina 20" er. Both are mono block. Both are also cast. While forging is more desirable for its greater strength and lighter weight, its also harder to carry out softer details where as casting lets you do that. To my eyes the best looking wheels on the Z8 are the OEM, the Alpina and the E60 M5 wheels which I was surprised how much I like them, I think they really look amazing- again I think its due to the rounded detailing. All the fancy HRE type wheels look great in their own right but on the Z8 they look too "aftermarket" for me.

Z8Mania
    Mono block= made out of a single piece of metal. Both OEM wheels are. Theres a reason the OEMs go with the mono block wheels beyond just being less expensive to manufacture- they are also less prone to leaking air. Customer complaints = lower CSI scores etc. I agree with Rifle, those wheels above would be cool on a track day M3 or 911 but not on anything else. The Z8 needs a wheel that has softer details to it.

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Thnx for the Ideas!

All along I have loved the ALPINA DYNAMIC wheel; I may just go for it; I could be dead next Tuesday....in that case who should I have my wife call if you want the car;and hey she is not a PITA like me, she would be hapy to see it gone already,lol the price should be low enough for a quick sale...she HAS NEVER appreciated my passion for all the cars over the years....but from my perspective she sure likes to be seen in them,lol, when I say that it usually makes her smile and she never says a word! I need to start that thread, any of your spouses share your passion or do they think its a black hole that swallows money.

Z8Mania
    One of my best friends says: "life's short, eat dissent first".

My wife enjoys the cars but she enjoys more luxury and less hard core sports cars. She doesn't really have a huge problem with the financial black hole they represent. Hey, it could be worse- it could be a boat!

Can you folks help me decipher this ad?Ebay #180749506049

Ebay has a set of "Alpina BBS wheels" for sale with tires. When I go to the BBS website I see no ALPINA knock off or otherwise; they are in chrome and there are pics of the Z8 I think they came off from. IF BBS makes no such wheel why is this seller using that mfg name?

Can you folks help me to tell if this ad is bogus, either on the decrip of offset(fit) etc( as I don't get that) or just may look like hell being chromed.

The price is good but I can get BMW genuine Alpina Dynamic for 10% above cost(still pricey) locally or from Dana who quoted me the same,plus tires. This ad includes tires that says are "used",(80%, thats his opinion) that I have NEVER done,buy used tires????(), thanks folks, Max

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc97 View Post
    Ebay has a set of "Alpina BBS wheels" for sale with tires. When I go to the BBS website I see no ALPINA knock off or otherwise; they are in chrome and there are pics of the Z8 I think they came off from. IF BBS makes no such wheel why is this seller using that mfg name?

Can you folks help me to tell if this ad is bogus, either on the decrip of offset(fit) etc( as I don't get that) or just may look like hell being chromed.

The price is good but I can get BMW genuine Alpina Dynamic for 10% above cost(still pricey) locally or from Dana who quoted me the same,plus tires. This ad includes tires that says are "used",(80%, thats his opinion) that I have NEVER done,buy used tires????(), thanks folks, Max
    Looks like the real thing from the photos in the ad. I don't know if BBS actually made the wheels though. The part # in one of the photos is correct. I saw 36 11 728 which is an Alpina part# for the front 9" wheel. The rear should say 36 11 723.

My guess is that the price is low perhaps due to the condition of the chrome plating. Difficult to tell from the seller's pic. I guess you could always get the wheels repainted/refinished.

Thxn for the input!

That's the stuff I needed to know;yes I could refinish them but at that point ($$$) I might as well buy them new I guess, thnx! dogdoc

Z8Mania
    I would buy them new- at least you know what you'll be getting.

If you do the Alpinas or any 20" wheel you'll likely want the EU Alpina suspension as the ride gets harsh on those tiny sidewalls.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I will reiterate my experience: trading the insanely stiff sidewalls of the RFT for the softer sidewalls of the normal tires is enough of an offset to balance out 2" of larger wheel diameter. Ive done this on a few BMWs now and thats my experience. I'd go so far as to say it might even be more comfortable with the standard tires on the 20s vs the RFT on the 18. Also each wheel/tire combo is like 6lbs lighter than the stock wheels with the RFT. So less unsprung weight.

The Alpina suspension IMHO is a truly transformative thing, but if you don't want to spend the money, then I think you will be surprised that the Alpina 20s look great, and with non run flat tires will- IMHO- give you a better ride and allow the suspension to do its job a little better (less unsprung weight). Not sure if you'll feel that last part but 6lbs at each corner might be noticeable.....

My POV:
    Switching to Non-RFTs, on the stock 18s gives a noticeably better ride. Going to 20s gives a noticeably harsher ride. So, do they balance each other out? and you end up where you started, but with better looking wheels? I think so. If you're OK with that, go for it. There's also the issue of how much harshness is transferred to the frame.

Even with the Alpina Euro set-up and non-RFTs, the ride can be too harsh, not in the suspension, but where the rubber meets the road. I would definitely not want 20s on stock suspension.

My recco is 19s, max, which will still be firmer than the 18s with similar rubber.

Z8Mania
    I don't find the ride harsh at all with the euro alpina suspension & alpina 20s. But what constitutes harsh is subjective. I really don't like the stock springs. They are too stiff.

So....I have to make my own decision.

Two different points of view; I am not up enough on the suspension stuff to give myself a half intelligent decision. I do know that my brother bought his Z with 20's (blacked out and red,uggh to me) and has Michelin tires; I have driven that car and do not find any "harshness to speak of, but then I did not drive it for an extended trip either. I know he did not upgrade/change the undercarriage but I do not know if the previous owner did and he just does not know it.

I guess as "z8" stated that the quality of the ride is subjective, and I have nothing to compare at this point other than my brothers car; maybe I will just go ask him to do some "spirited" driving and see what it feels like again. PLEASE clarify Z8 that while you did not do the WHOLE ALPINA kit you did change the springs if I am following you from a previous post; if that is true then you made "some" change whereas I would be TOTALLY stock with 20's, So can we compare the outcomes?

I just really like like the look of the ALPINA wheel and may spring for that but I was not looking to "Spring" for another $3-5K or whatever it cost to change the suspension unless someone tells me that its either dangerous,(handling problem)bad for the frame of the car, etc.
    In the end I get that a 20 inch tire has LESS RUBBER/SIDEWALL, and yes I think we can say that should equate to be less compliant/flexible, if we agree on that than on paper that should mean a "harsher ride"...is that a fair comment?

In the end what is harsh to one may be fine for another; I wll get my bro's car and have another go at it. Thanks for all view points! Confusing BUT enlightening!! MAX

Z8Mania
    You're right but what you have to take into account is right now your car has the run flat tires which can maintain the sidewall shape with no air in them- hence their name. What you trade off is ride quality because the sidewalls are extremely stiff and reinforced and that also makes the tires heavy. I don't think you'd have any problems going with the Alpina wheel. Does your car have the performance package installed?

All, the topic of the Alpina wheel got a bit off from the post topic of the Michelin Super Sport. So, I moved the posts to this thread on the Alpina Wheel. Feel free to continue.
    thegunguy

Alpina wheel still taking advice!

Z8, YES, I did have the PP kit installed last week!

Does that help you in helping me in which way to go?

Clearly we have two camps, those that think a 20 in wheel is BEST used on a car with the Alpina setup.

The other camp believes that its ok to run the larger wheel on stock, if I get it right, but Z8 I am wanting to know what you think on the change of the spings that you did vs. me not doing anything, and running a larger wheel...thanks on this one, Max

I would seriously not risk putting Aplina rims on a Z8 with stock suspension. All it'll take is one small pothole at the wrong speed, and you'll have created a monster of a problem, and seriously, you want to listen to me on this one.
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew, I AM LISTENING, clarify please.

Is it b/c in your opinion of the smaller amount of rubber on a 20in to take on the shock of a hit or is it b/c of not having the Alpina suspension, or both.

PLEASE know I am just trying to understand the setup;in the past folks accused me of being argumentative and NOT taking advice from the board,not the case.

Originally folks were just saying it would likely be "too harsh" a ride", then I aked the more important question above "any handling problems or frame damage"...this is more important than the ride at this point. I would like for someone to explain what the Alpina setup does to the car so I understand what happens with a larger wheel on the car, and then the light bulb I hope will go on...thanks for your patience, Max

I understand you're not being argumentative here, but you should pay careful attention to Macfly's comment on this. It's not derived from opinion or conjecture.

Again, I would STRONGLY dissuade anyone from equipping 20" wheels without the softer Alpina suspension.
    thegunguy

The Alpina suspension is much softer, thus making up for the very thin sidewall of the 20" rim.

Without the softer suspension you are putting your frame in harms way, greatly reducing its ability to cope with an unforeseen pot hole, or similar road irregularity. The PP simply won't be able to save your frame with Z8 suspension and Alpina rims, it is just not worth the risk, or the rougher ride of 20's on stock Z8 suspension.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thank you Andrew!

That was succinct and simple to understand! Hey gun, I am always listening, I just ask alot of questions as you know by now. Max

Z8Mania
    I was looking over some notes I keep and I read something that said the Alpina suspension setup was designed for those 20s so putting two and two together, I would advise you to NOT run the Alpina wheels on the stock suspension.

Given that Id advise you just change the tires from the run flats to something else. Thats the least expensive and difficult thing to do. However, if you were to change to the Alpina suspension then you could run those beautiful Alpina 20" wheels....

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc97 View Post
    All along I have loved the ALPINA DYNAMIC wheel; I may just go for it; I could be dead next Tuesday....in that case who should I have my wife call if you want the car;and hey she is not a PITA like me, she would be hapy to see it gone already,lol the price should be low enough for a quick sale...she HAS NEVER appreciated my passion for all the cars over the years....but from my perspective she sure likes to be seen in them,lol, when I say that it usually makes her smile and she never says a word! I need to start that thread, any of your spouses share your passion or do they think its a black hole that swallows money.
    I think I'm one of the few "spouses" on the board

Does the BMW Motorsport wheel come in a 19?

I know several folks are running the 20 but since I will not be doing the ALPINA upgrade suspension was wondering if this might be a new look for my car with a 19in wheel, Max

Check with BMW, but I think 19's are a good option.

Z8Mania
    Here are a set of Alpina wheels that are 19" and are featured on Alpinas own website. I think they look great on the car. Very dignified. Your car is silver right? I really do like those E60 M5 wheels on Rifle's black Z8. Im not sure if they required spacers or other adjustments to fit.

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/en...el/bmw-z8.html

BMW Z8 (E52)
    Roadster

8.5 x 19? 255 / 40 ZR 19 front
    9.5 x 19? 285 / 35 ZR 19 rear

with tyres MICHELIN Pilot Sport 2, incl. Mobility Kit

They did make the dynamic style look in 19" for the Z4... maybe this would work? Again you have to check to be sure they would fit:

8.5 x 19? 235 / 35 ZR 19 front
    9.5 x 19? 265 / 30 ZR 19 rear

with tyres MICHELIN Pilot Sport 2, incl. Mobility Kit

The sizes are off- they aren't quite as wide but aside from looks the difference in width won't matter too much.

Z8Mania
    PS look at the E60 M5 wheels I found in a search:

From gutMD:
    http://bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t...light=m5+wheel
    Here are some quick photos of the wheels on the car. I am extremely satisfied with the look as the curved spokes certainly suit the curves of the car very well.
    I also love the fact that there is no lip along the outer edge of the wheels because it seems to give the car the appearance of an overall wider stance.
    Furthermore, the front end looks a bit wider as the front wheels extend outward 14mm also contributing to its wider stance.
    I will be adding a spacer to the back as I want to increase the rear track a little again giving the car a bit more of an edge.
    No problems with rubbing or clearances.
    On a silver Z8 courtesy of: OL? Z8

more gutMD blue:

The thread mentions that these wheels just fit with no problem.

Some from Rifle:

If it were me, and I had to make a change, Id go either with those 19" Alpina classic from the first picture up there or the M5 wheels. It seems both require no modifications and just fit the car. I lean slightly towards the M5 wheels- but I think its about look. M5 wheels make it look a drop sportier; Alpina a drop more "regal".

Nice PICS!!!

Thanks for those! Max

I do really love those on the Z8... and you can likely find some take-offs cheap : )

Now you've got me thinking about new wheels! Seeing them working well on the Silver in the photos may push me over the edge.

The E46 M3 and 330i ZHP package had similar wheels, and I loved the look!

This also makes my brake choice easier - my OEM shoes are looking quite ratty after 11 years and I'd like something that looks nice.

I'm not a fan of the 166 on silver. There's just something off with the finish. I'd have them re-finished in a brighter hyper silver. Needs some visual distinction.
    thegunguy

I run the Pirellis on my 20" rims, and have no issues with them, but the Michelin Super Sports are certainly the best tire on the market at the moment. If they really aren't available in OEM sizes I'd consider getting some light weight 19" HRE Comp rims like these. http://www.hrewheels.com/c90/

Big HRE fan here. My HRE's have been discontinued but here are some new models that I thought fit the Z8 wonderfully!

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Not a big fan of the first (too 996 Porsche turbo-esque). But the other two really look derivative of the stock wheel in a good way.

They're a little modern for me on the Z8, but, wow! Their construction and shapes are really impressive.
    thegunguy

Totally agree with Norcal on the first. I like the middle the best myself. But as I read thru all the posts, I got the impression the discussion was how to capture the feel of the car and still be able to improve on the OEM wheels.

I never disliked the OEM wheels. They are heavy and narrow, but I had to go 19" to get the Big Brembo's on. If I recall my wheel is the 547 and I still like it BUT if I could do it over, I would choose the middle HRE from above. 19"x9" in front and 19"x10 in the rear.

I also agree with those who are shying away from the super low profile tires in the 20" range. Having some sidewall sure absorbs some impact energy.
    2000 Red over black

Me too, as we said many times in the past, my ideal would have been to make up a wider, lightweight 19" in version of the stock wheel.

This is the one we tried to get enough members into to make a few sets, but it was too hard and too expensive, so the idea fell by the wayside.

Andrew Macpherson

Pretty similar design IMHO. And having the ability to customize the offset and backspacing for the fullest fender possible......

2000 Red over black

Z8Mania
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    They're a little modern for me on the Z8, but, wow! Their construction and shapes are really impressive.
    Totally agree. For me they are a drop too edgy- typical of HRE as they use forging which usually produces a edgy look. But the wheel is superior and HRE make some of the nicest wheels out there.

I love my HREs, but yes, they are very "hard edge" compared to stock.

IS there a name/number for that HRE?

The middle one everybody likes? Max

794rs

794RS

http://www.hrewheels.com/794rs/

I just had a set of 844R built for another car. I worked with Shadowman to get the offsets and backspacing dialed in. He is a preferred dealer and is very familiar with Z8s
    (if you want to go wider or bigger diameter)

http://www.discovery-automotive.com

2000 Red over black

thnx, now can somone photoshop them on a Z?

I saw awhile back where Rifle or someone was able to put the wheel on a z to see how it would look,like photoshop, that would be awesome....Max

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    794RS

http://www.hrewheels.com/794rs/

I just had a set of 844R built for another car. I worked with Shadowman to get the offsets and backspacing dialed in. He is a preferred dealer and is very familiar with Z8s
    (if you want to go wider or bigger diameter)

http://www.discovery-automotive.com

What size did you build? My HREs are Alpina size

Wait, my post was not clear enough, I have HRE 547s on my Z8 19x9" and 19x10". I needed 19" to clear the Brembo brakes.

I had the 844Rs built for a Ford GT 18x10" and 19x13" They look like this; well, see below the text. And the 547s are below that. (I need to update my pictures).

As a side note, When I had the 547s built back in 2001' I was able to get a P295 35 series Yokohama tire for a 19" wheel. That size is discontinued and now I can either go up to a 305 R 30 which is way too thin for me or drop back to a P285/40 which is what I will do with the new Michelin Super sport cups.

Another Side note. HRE will support you with repair or replacement if you have a wheel that goes out of production. So even though the 547s are out, if I damage one, they will take care of me. Good to know.

2000 Red over black

It's great to know they will support their older wheel designs. Hope I never need it!

Z8Mania
    HRE is a great company for wheels. Theres no doubt there. Btw- nice rides!

One thing I did with my HREs, was to have the centers milled larger to accept the BMW centers. I didn't want just the HRE logo. Yes, it's a brand you want to show off, but I like the roundel in the center. Now you know why AMG molds their brand into the spoke... so you can still have the mercedes logo in the center. Best of both worlds?

thanks for pics and clarification

that was helpful,max

Z8Mania
    Totally agree Norcal. Though I don't like how AMG puts their logo on the spokes- a bit too "aftermarket" for me. I would choose to run BMW or Alpina centers. I'd want an automobile manufacturer's logo, not a wheel company, but thats just me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last