Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Thread: 20" BMW Motorsport 'Style 101' wheels

I have exactly that set up, and no front rubs. Is it rubbing on the inside (spring) or outside (body)?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I'm leaving for Peter Pan now. Will be there until about 12:30. C you there if you come down early.

The inside lip of the wheel and the Pirelli are both contacting the strut. You can actually feel the drag while on the lift when you turn the wheel.

My tech is thinking 5mm spacer...

Any thoughts?

It seems unusual but I guess every wheel is slightly different, however because none of the rest of us have had this experience I'd suggest checking the seating and positioning of the spring before doing a spacer.
    Andrew Macpherson

Do you have Brembos? When talking with Matt today, he mentioned that the hats on the brembos were slightly thinner than the stock brakes by a few mm, which might bring the wheels closer to the struts. He's checking mine for any rubbing that might have taken place during recent "Spirited driving"

I have the Brembo's and no rubbing? However 5mm spacers at the front might not be a terrible change to make, but be aware it might make the car a little more prone to oversteer.
    Andrew Macpherson

Then back off the rear bar by one hole and probably have better grip in the rear (less DSC?).

Thanks for the suggestions. No brembos (yet). Matt at Peter Pan reports that these wheels have a 24mm offset vs. 20mm stock and that brings the inner wheel lip very close to the strut. He thinks the Alpina strut and the stock strut are the same diameter, so that should not be the cause of the problem. I did run about 100 miles with the 20" Motorsport wheels before putting the Alpina suspension in. While I had some rubbing in the back, there didn't seem to be any in the front. Strange...

I have ordered 5mm spacers and extended lug bolts from Turner Motorsports, so we will try that. I appreciate the suggestion on checking the spring seating and placement and will do that right away.

Although the Michelins and Pirellis share the same size (255/35R/20) that size is only footprint to sidewall ratio and says nothing about the actual true width of the tire from outer sidewall to inner sidewall as this will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If you look closely at Andrew's original pics of the Pirellis compared to the MSP2s, you can see what I am talking about. I have the Beyern Type 5 wheels, which have the exact offset as the OEM wheels and the OEM Alpina wheels. I was wrong in another post elsewhere in the forum regarding the Beyerns and the motorsport 20" having the same offset as you are correct that they do have 24mm offset compared to 20mm OEM. With the Beyerns and Pirellis, I have no rubbing front or rear after about 280 highway miles on them. I am using the OEM Z8 Struts (Sachs) but have Dinan Stage 3 springs and sways, Dinan CASTER plates (the do not affect camber) and the Performance package plates.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

It looks like the spacers have solved the problem. I won't know for sure until I have a chance to take it out myself, but the tech reports no more rubbing. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Thanks for all the help, guys. The car is home and it drives much, much better than stock. It corners flatter and rides a lot better. We needed 5mm spacers in front and -2 camber on the rear to make the 20 inch wheels work. The folks at Peter Pan were a huge help, too.

I have (tried to) attach some pics. I am optimistic they will magically appear.

Carter

Z8Mania
    They worked and the car looks great. Glad its working out

I love the wheels, but be very careful with them, I was at Peter Pan today, and three of my four have small rim distortions in them from normal Californian back roads. I hope you are also running them with the Alpina suspension, as I think the stock compression may be too harsh for the car.
    Andrew Macpherson

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    I agree with the ride harshness. I had the same exact wheels with Z8 suspension on my previous car. If I ever decide on 20" wheels again, the complete Alpina suspension will come first.

But, IMO, the standard Z8 wheels are hard to beat.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

We put in the full euro Alpina suspension + camber plates. The ride is much better.

Well done, it is an absolute must do with the 20's, I can't emphasize this enough.
    Andrew Macpherson

It looks like I have a slow leak in one of my rears. Here's a stupid question. How do I remove the hub cap on these 20" motorsport wheels? I looked for a slot for a screwdriver to pop them off, but nothing is readily apparent. Thanks.

Carter

You should have a special tool to remove the cap...

I would check in your tool area under trunk base, as your shop may well have put it in there. It looks like this, and fits over the caps with the same 17mm nut head that will loosen the wheel.

The right way to remove it is to rotate it, not to pry it.

If you have no other option I'd use a towel and your hand, turn it anti-clockwise and it'll pop off, but it is a pretty tight click on/off. I wouldn't pry it unless it is a last resort as you could damage either the cap, or your rim.

Here is a pic of the tool, so you know what you're looking for.

Andrew Macpherson

Am I glad I didn't just start prying! (my naturally incliniation, of course)

Many thanks

Sorry to give bad advice. I was assuming they were the same as the standard cap.
    thegunguy

Not in the trunk. Off to the dealer - it's always something! I can actually read the part number off the photo, so it will go smoothly. These cars are so rare in Virginia that this board is invaluable.

New shoes

Just installed the 20" Motorsports w the new Super Sports.
    Drives great...love the tires! Super responsive but ride
    really not compromised? Still as quiet and smooth as
    The 18" pilots. No rubs noticed at this point.

where are the pictures !!

Quote Originally Posted by Klaney View Post
    Just installed the 20" Motorsports w the new Super Sports.
    Drives great...love the tires! Super responsive but ride
    really not compromised? Still as quiet and smooth as
    The 18" pilots. No rubs noticed at this point.
    let's see it!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

The Z8 was made for the 20" Motorsport wheels and vice-versa. They not only give the car a more menacing look because of the wider stance, but the mesh style wheels are just the ticket for the Z8's retro look.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 Z8 (last one?) - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2017 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver
    2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger / 6-sp. manual)

Z8Mania
    I agree the spokes give a more retro feel. The wheels look great. I prefer the Alpina wheels but these do compliment the car well. Good luck and congratulations!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2