Thread: 19" HRE C97 Wheels - OE look alike w/fasteners

Sport Button On - DSC Off

19" HRE C97 Wheels - OE look alike w/fasteners

I have similar wheels on my 1998 540i sport. Boy do they look good. The HRE C97 has the look of the original equipment wheel. The website says they are lighter as well.

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/seri...=/COMP/COMP97/

Philip
    61115 Topaz/Crema

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    Honestly, these are very nice wheels, but to my eye, they don't look as good as the originals wheels. This car seems to be lowered 1" at the rear and 1/2" up front.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

If I was going to do another wheel upgrade (which I'm not until the recession is well gone!) I'd be going for the HRE Comp 21, I think that is a very attractive wheel that would suit the Z8 very well.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew,

Thanks for posting that picture. Do we know if these are 19"?

Redz8,

I agree, it is uncanny how "correct" the original wheels look. So far, these HRE C97's are the closest match I've seen with the "racing" look. Here in Western PA where no one has ever seen a Z8 the HREs might fly. I've been following Andrew's wheel journey and he seems to have found himself back to the OE look albeit at 19"!!!

Regards,

Philip
    61115 Topaz/Crema

Andrew,

the Comp 21's are attractive as well. The spokes are what color? Looks like that would work with silver or red. Maybe not on Topaz???

Regards,

Philip
    61115 Topaz/Crema

The great thing with HRE is they will make them any color you want. I think that a simple clean design like the Comp 21's with polished centers and chrome rims, or even maybe all chrome like the one below, could be pretty stunning on a Topaz car, however as you mentioned, if I could have anything it would be replica OEM rims in 19" with the same 1" wider front and rear as my current 20" rims. We went quite far down the path of trying to get them manufactured at one point, but hit a wall when it came to product liability laws!

One thing to consider when doing a wheel upgrade is the brakes on the Z8 are it's biggest visual weakness, you'll want to consider a rim that hides them if you don't plan to upgrade them.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    Honestly, these are very nice wheels, but to my eye, they don't look as good as the originals wheels. This car seems to be lowered 1" at the rear and 1/2" up front.
    If memory serves me, I saw this red car in for repairs during an Oxnard Delivery Center tour a few years back. I seem to recall the guy at the repair center saying something about a down tree in the middle of the road. Ouch!!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    If I was going to do another wheel upgrade (which I'm not until the recession is well gone!) I'd be going for the HRE Comp 21, I think that is a very attractive wheel that would suit the Z8 very well.
    Andrew, I am with you on the C21. Have them on my turbo and think they would be perfect for the Z8, as the much reduce unsprung weight as you know. So better ride and better handling. Hate to hide away the brembos but I do think the multi spoke desigins look the best for classic roadster feel.

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    If memory serves me, I saw this red car in for repairs during an Oxnard Delivery Center tour a few years back. I seem to recall the guy at the repair center saying something about a down tree in the middle of the road. Ouch!!

Just found this thread.

The rear is too low, H&R lowering springs. I hate them. Fixing that this winter with coil-overs.

The repair was for 2 rocks that came off a dump truck ahead of me bouncing up an one of them poking a 1" hole in the aluminum floorpan under the driver's seat. (I swerved and avoided the big one but caught the smaller of the two). Rather than having it cobbed up, I sent it to the only place able to fix it perfectly. Then it was on to Dinan to prototype the headers that needed no chasis mods to install.

You did not see his tongue in his cheek when He said that?

Dude, you should have P/M'd me before posting that. I suppose I should have tossed the car and bought a new one? Glad I am not planning on selling any time soon and having that post floating around.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car