Thread: 18" 19" 20" a quick visual comparison.....

18" 19" 20" a quick visual comparison.....

I had the chance to take this snap of the three wheel sizes in a row at the Toys 4 Tots event. Here you can see stock 18", chromed Aeon 19" wheels, and the BMW Motorsport 20" wheels.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On
    just made a very poor about 20" oem rims picture... sorry for abusing pictures from the gallery...
    regards
    Klaus

Not a bad bit of Photoshop Klaus! I did some similar sketches, and came to the conclusion that our OEM 5 split-spoke design wouldn't look as elegant on a 20" rim, but it would be fine on a 19" so I drew up this idea to see if we could get a manufacturer to make a new 19" OEM style rim for us.

My idea is use a lightweight alloy hub (magnesium) and a replaceable aluminum rim. This would mean that one casting would do both front and rear spokes, greatly cutting cost, with different rim sizes bolted to it. Sadly the best case cost scenario I could get to was around $20K a set, so the project withered away, but incase anyone is interested to do further research or has a good contact to a wheel maker who might be interested here is what I had proposed.

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    20" really seems to be too big for the oem rims, at least if you just "blow up" the stock ones. Andrew, I really like your idea! Obviously you've already taken the next step and conntacted some wheel maker. More dissapointing is to hear that a corner will be 5k.
    So if I change rims, I will probably end up with the Alpina Dynamics (great design, especially in conjunction with the steering wheel).
    Klaus

Sport Button On
    Andrew, great rims! hopefully the bmw logos match the center! As you already said, I would also prefer them with hidden bolts. Imo visable fasteners, etc. don't really match the z8's design. btw, don't you already have some similar wheels on your z8 (gallery?).
    Klaus

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Hey Kuyu

If your logos do not match you can purchase BMW stickers to go over the existing emblem. Some of these are very high quality and are inexpensive - 15 to 20 dollars. I was skeptical - but very impressed with mine. You really cannot tell the difference. Just be aware of cheap reproductions. They come in a variety of diameters.

Dave P

Klaus, I have the Hamann wheels which are very handsome, and I do like them, but I think I would prefer the deeper dish effect of the HRE's, and also the quality of the HRE's is better, and they are lighter. I will certainly sell on the Hamann's once I find a wheel that I feel completely content with, and I am hoping the HRE's will be the ones. I'll certainly let everyone know if they will agre to do the rivetless version.

Dave HRE will do the rims in any finish (I'll have Z8 Titanium silver spokes with chromed rims) and with any logo, so they will indeed wear BMW badges.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Andrew - do you still have the Hamann wheels on your baby or have you come across something that you like better. I am considering taking the plunge and do the Brembo thing unless you and the board suggest something different. It looks like I will have to upgrad to 19" wheels as well. The only down side is the fact that I just purchased new PS2's for the stock 18" last week. I am very impulsive but I am sure there is someone out there that would be willing to take them off my hands.

I still have the Hamann wheels, and am happy with them, but I'm on the lookout for a set of the M Sport 20" rims. I've seen them on this car, Carlos's red car (above) and a stratus car that was in a dealership, and loved them on all three. I think they will be my final rim purchase when I find a set.
    Andrew Macpherson

Wow - I just found a set on EBay!!

My Hamann rims are now officially for sale!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Opps, forgot to mention that I absolutely love my Brembos, they are both lighter and have a far crisper and more responsive pedal feel than stock, but best of all, they hardly make any dust!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Andrew, which brembos do you have? Arent those 20" M sport rims heavy? Are they that difficult to acquire?

I have these Brembo's, and the M Sport rims are about the same as stock rims, saving only about 1.5 lbs a corner. They are easy to buy too, but I don't consider them very good value at the 6k that BMW wants for them, so I've been patiently looking for them on EBay.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Wow! Thats crazy expensive- I don't blame you!

Sport Button On
    To Macfly: Like you I am tempted by the M 101 rims. I was going to stay "stock" but must admit that these wheels look awesome. If I were to go for these wheels what else would need changing? I remember to have read once somewhere on this (great) website that spacers must be fitted(?). Please explain. Thanks in Advance. Dutch Frank.

Sport Button On
    Oeps; forgot to add to my post; the "101" M wheels were also available in 19" as an option for the 5 series (so tells my BMW Dealership in Holland). Would these wheels fit the Z8 as well? Maybe 19" is a better wheel for the Z8 than the 20" ones bearing mind the issues on the frame etc. Please advise. Thanks!

I am not sure about the spacers, I'll find out next week when my wheels arrive.

Personally I would not fit 20" rims without changing to the softer Alpina suspension, as they will certainly remove some of the cushion of the 18"s, and thus put the frame a little closer to potential harm. One other reason not to fit the 20" is there is a very limited tire choice, here in the US at least. The only tires that are Z8 sized for the 20" are Pirelli's, which I've never tried before, but I'm forced to now! There is a much broader choice for the 19" rims, so unless you are going to swap suspension and are happy with a single tire choice I'd say go 19".

I'm not sure if the M5 wheels are a straight swap, you'll need to check all the offsets etc, the Z8 ones are listed in this part of the forum.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    Your Dutch dealer should easily advise you as they know ET values of all rims they sell. I know as you can see the Brembo set does fit with standard M6 rims so likley the M5 rims will also fit.
    good luck