Thread: Tonneau Cover Help

Tonneau Cover Help

Is there a trick to getting the tonneau cover to fit properly?

I installed mine yesterday for the first time. I got it in where it fit and looked good, but after I drove it a bit, the tonneau cover starting lifting up in the back.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an easy solution?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim there is an instruction on the inside of the cover (left:installing and right:uninstalling),anyway; you should first insert the two 'pins' at the front of the cover into the holes behind the seats, then the cover will fit nicely; 'sidepins' left and right should fit into left and right hole. Good luck.

The first time I tried to put it on, I ran into the same issue. The trick for me was making sure I had a good tuck all the way around. The edge seems to flare out just a bit, which once tucked below the lip holds quite well. The first time I didn't tuck it quiet far enough.

Thanks, I'll try again today.

If yours keeps lifting at the back you should first check all your soft top strings, to make sure that the top is fully retracting - plus it is good to eyeball the strings ever time you use it, as they are a known weak point. My first thought is that could be the problem, however over the years I've had three Z8's, and one of them came with a toneau that never stayed on at the back. Happily another owner who was selling his car let me swap for his. On close inspection the back of my lifting toneau was about 1/4 inch shorter than the one he let me swap out with. That one cover was made just a little bit too small to stay lodged in properly, so there was a slight variation in the manufacturing process, so that could be a factor too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks for the suggestions Andrew. I tried it again today. It seems like the tabs that go into the slots behind the seats are forcing the of the tonneau cover back up. Maybe if I go the the VCR on Sunday morning you or Marty can take a look at it. I can't really tell if the strings are weak. It would be nice to have other Z8s around to do a side by side comparison.

Sadly the weather looks a bit questionable at this moment - http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=CAZ041

Saturday...........Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain.
    Saturday Night...Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain.
    Sunday.............Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain. Highs in the upper 50s to mid 60s.

Hopefully it'll cheer up by then, I have a track day Monday too, so really hoping it does!!
    Andrew Macpherson

But Andrew, "it never rains in Southern California..."

...it pours!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I will be there weather permitting. If not, then the end of March. The end of April will be the month where we will hopefully get six or more Z8's.

Sport Button On
    I need a tonneau cover for a silver on black Z8. I also need a hardtop. Please email at [email protected].

Rick

Z8 Novice
    I need a tonneau cover. Mine mysteriously disappeared during shipping