Thread: Resetting your spare key

Thumbs up Resetting your spare key

In case anyone was wondering, resetting your spare key if it does not work is easy and simple.

First, charge the key if it will not operate the car by leaving it in the ignition overnight.
    Almost always, it will be able to turn the ignition to the START position (2nd position is
    START position) but may not operate the trunk or door locks if it is not charged. If it
    won't, you have to reset it.

Once charged, and ready to begin, make sure you have both keys as you have to reset both, one right after the other as the procedure can deactivate your other key.

Procedure is as follows:

1) Get in car an close door.

2) Make sure door locks are UNLOCKED.

3) Begin with the Key that does NOT work. Turn key to START position and back
    to OFF position 5 times.

4) Remove key and hold up and push center button 3 times firmly and then hold
    center (BMW) button down on the 3rd push until the doors lock.

5) Then push again to UNLOCK. Then push trunk button to besure trunk release
    operates too.

6) If this does not work, repeat.

7) Immediately proceed to your other Key and repeat.

I just did this with my mechanic instructing me as my spare key would turn the
    ingnition on but not operate the other functions. If I can do it, anyone can.
    Last edited by Z8doc; October 21st 2007 at 23:58.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8 Novice
    Does this work with other BMW's? The key to my 2002 X5 won't lock/unlock/open trunk.

I believe it is worth a try, but I think it does vary from model to model. I know the tech was saying that the variance is a matter of where you set your key in the ignition to in order to do the reset (first key stop or second key stop for example) so if it does not work on the first stop, try the second one (or the third if there is one), just like above. Good luck trying.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102