Thread: Metal Nozzle falls into gas tank... BMW

DSC Off

Metal Nozzle falls into gas tank... BMW

Have a question which is not a Z8 question but a BMW 645 question but could be applicable to all cars. I have a BMW 645 with 7500 miles, and i absolutely love the car. I was preparing the car for winter storage, and when i was putting Stabil into the gas tank. I was using a metal nozzle, and the tip of the metal nozzle...about an inch long, and say half inch diameter fell in the tank. Two questions...how do i get it out? Is this something I should be worried about ...remove the tank to get it out...not sure how big a deal this is. Any suggestions?

Sandy

A long strand with a magnet?

The easiest way I can think of to get it out would be with a pair of magnets. You'll need a powerful one to slide under the tank to bring it into a position where a stick magnet can get it through the gas cap.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to leave it in there as it could either rust, or react with the other metals used in the gauges etc to do some mischief, but I'm not expert, so can't swear to it either way.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Yes i am concerned about leaving the metal piece in the tank long term. this car is a long term keeper for me. Reached out to BMW in our town today, they said it will be a massive expense to remove the tank.. did not give me a number...and they suggested just leave it in there, due to the cost. Not sure about that. I will try the 2 magnet approach, and i am hoping this metal nozzle will be attracted by the magnets. thanks for the suggestions. Sandy

Maybe get another of the same tins/nozzles and experiment in the kitchen sink.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Maybe get another of the same tins/nozzles and experiment in the kitchen sink.
    I will do that Andrew. Thank you! Sandy

Do let us know the results of your experiments!

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch View Post
    Do let us know the results of your experiments!
    Thanks for asking Satch....My first step is to get the right tools....magnets on cable that will not fall off, and someway to see things inside the tank. I then saw this recent article from Rob Siegal which helped me nail the tools:https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ts-from-engine I ordered the V8 Tool Mighty Worm, another bendable magnetic pick up tool and an Endoscope...( snake video you can see on your phone). The parts are all coming in this week, and i will make my first attempt this weekend. Too cold where i am to go to the storage location where this car is parked. I will let you know the outcome next week...if i can just fish it out.Sandy

DSC Off

Unhappy

Well here is my latest update on fishing the Nozzle tip out the gas tank. Had this magnetic snake, and then when i opened my gas tank cap i realized it is impossible to do. See picture below....there is a cover that flips down when a gas nozzle is inserted into the tank. It opens down, so if you put a magnet and try to take an object about slightly smaller than the diameter of the hole impossible to take out! I am now stuck....have no idea what to do Let me ask another question...does anyone know how if there is any filter before the gas tank...at the end of the Chute the gas flows into the tank? Not sure if there is a diagram of what that looks like? Sandy

Yikes, I totally forgot about that little madness, but i'd still try, maybe using a bendy coat hanger and a spare pair of hands to hold the flap open while you try lifting it up close enough to hook it with another bent coat hanger. Those wire coat hangers really do come in handy!

I really wouldn't leave it in there because of all the unknowns we discussed above.

In answer to the second question, I'm sure there will be a fuel filter in the line, logic says it should be near or by the fuel pump, but I don't know where it is myself.
    Andrew Macpherson

It’s easy to hold the inner flap open with a screw driver while you fish.

DSC Off
    Thanks....holding that flap with the screwdriver keeps it open, but one’s ability to maneuver with bendable alumninum mighty worm magnetic tool (or fish) is really restricted because the “chute” into the tank does not go straight down! Have not given up yet....need to find something that is like a string with a magnet but will not break inside. Now i need to find this.......

This screengrab from the parts manual (which lives in the downloadable PDF section) will help visualize what you're dealing with. It looks like it's 3.5 hours to drop and replace the tank, but do note that the prices shown are from 2004!

It looks like there may be a couple of ways into the tank, but that they may involve dropping it. That said it maybe worth considering taking the rear quarter panel off as the fuel cap assembly with the narrow pipe and flap seems to be attached to that.

Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Thank you Andrew...this changes everything . I will go back to the dealership with this...and get it done...focus initially on taking out the fuel pipe..i think it is lodged in there. This is really helpful...thank you!!!Sandy

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Definitely get it out, even if painfully expensive.

I had an experience with a vandal dropping something into a fuel tank and it caused the engine to die in traffic on I-5, and I was promptly rear ended by an 18 wheel semi. 🙁
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

DSC Off
    WOW!!! Sorry to hear about the rear end....this is the ultimate incentive for me to fix it immediately...never thought about this that way. Sandy

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    I was fine but the Mazda I was driving was toast.

Turned out it was a Contact cold tablet someone dropped in the tank. It became swollen, but intact and was pulled into the fuel pickup.

😳
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

DSC Off
    Glad to hear you were not hurt....still scary though. Andrew's visuals really helped.....the local BMW dealership did say removing the stuck nozzle can be fairly simple if it is stuck on pipe #2 or the collar #6. As they say ...you learn something new every day! Thanks for everyone's help and direction. Sandy