Thread: Clear Plastic Wind-breaker

Clear Plastic Wind-breaker

This was sent in by Jeff, who came across Dr. Bob from Windbaffle.com in an old issue of 'Bimmer'.

He ordered one and it was a poor fit, but the customer service was exemplary both by the assistants and Dr Bob asked him to ship it right back at their expense, and draw up a template of what he'd like.

He did, and Dr Bob sent this splendid piece, made at Jeff's request out of thicker Lexan than they usually use for the other Windbaffles, and he also included a rubber trim for the bottom. It really makes a big difference in both the look and the wind management in the cabin. The car also looks "cleaner" than the OEM net.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar

Thumbs up

Looks very good this "windbaffle". I've emailed this Dr Bob and asked him if he can make me one, plus ship it to Europe. This is exactly what we want as you can leave it on even with the softtop up. Now fingers crossed if he can make me one.
    Thanks
    Klaus, Z8-NL

I have a similar one for my Z-3 from Z-3 Solutions and it's great. I've been looking for a similar one and ...low and behold - here it is! I'll be ordering one soon. Thanks for the posting Andrew.

Thumbs up Great product! !

I will be ordering one tomorrow!

Wind Baffle problem

I'm getting a significant amount of flexing in the middle portion of the baffle at speeds of 60-70 mph which is causing the baffle trim to rub the leather. The straps are as tight as can be. Any similar experiences?

Wish I could help, but I'm still waiting for mine to show up. Ordered it on 8 Oct.

Sport Button On

Cool I have one

I bought one after seeing the posting here. I'm getting some flexing at speed too - given how much wind there is swirling around the cockpit, it would have to be pretty think not to flex, I think. For those thinking of buying, I'd say this - don't have your hopes set too high. It's obviously more transparent than the OEM version and better looking too, but the aerodynamics of the car are such that there will still be tons of swirling air in the cockpit, even with the windows open.

Mike

Metzger -
    When did you order your baffle and how long did it take for delivery? I ordered the day after this posting (8 Oct) and haven't heard anything about it yet. Did Z8DOC have any luck with his order?

Anyway, based on the first posting, the Z8 version is supposed to be thicker than normal - whatever that is. Is there any way you can tell if yours is one of the thicker ones or not? Maybe Jeff can weigh in on this since he was the first apparent Z8 customer that we know of.

Baffle thickness

My baffle measures 1/8 inch, or 4mm. I don't know how much thinner it could have been before the new "improved" style, or if this is in fact the "thicker" one, but it does flex in the middle creating a significant vibration at highway speeds. Although the cockpit is still windy due to the aerodynamics of the windshield, the baffle definitely increases the comfort and visibility levels. I'm hoping we can go thicker still, or reinforce the middle somehow- waiting for the company to get back to me.

Z8 Novice
    Is it just me, or does this look a bit too homemade. I'm sure it's more effective than nothing, but it looks like someone put it together in their own garage. Just my honest opinion, no offense intended. I will probably end up buying one too if there are no other options.

I like the cleaness of the design....

but it obviously needs to be more robust, possibly even made from a laminated glass that wouldn't flex, scratch, scuff or discolor over time as plastic will. However the platic allows them to make the easy holes for the velcro ties, so I'm not sure what the perfect solution is.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

I agree with Andrew, wish it were tougher, more finished

As delivered, the baffle was not even close. Made for a Z3. I agreed to provide my template as the prototype for a z8 baffle in return for thicker lexan, and although not perfect, it is very good.
    I'm looking into making a padded channel that would insert in the slots for the stock net/boot cover, and provide a place and support for the lower section of the windbaffle to engage without touching the waterfall.
    Others....I'm surprised that Dr. Bob from Windbaffle isn't helping on the order. They couldn't have been better to me.

Sport Button On

reply to Jawz' query

I ordered mine at exactly the same time you did. After a couple of weeks, I called and was told that the first batch had been returned to the factory because they "didn't look good enough" - don't know what that means. I was told that a new batch would be in shortly and I received the baffle a couple of days later. It's not terribly thick, but I haven't measured it yet.

Z8 Novice
    I ordered after the first post and received it last Friday. I agree that it flexes too much. I am really concerned that over time it will wear the leather even though it is not touching the waterfall. As far as reducing the turbulance, it is better(even better with windows up) but not as dramatic as I would want.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    I have ordered 2 of them and they are now being processed by Dutch Customs. Maybe I can glue to 2 together and get more strength and less flex. We'll see. Other options mght be to glue small strips of lexan on the top and bottom to strengthen and reduce flex.
    Off course I will keep you all updated.

I set up a meeting with Dr. Bob from Windbaffle so he can see and evaluate the problem. I'll keep you informed of any fixes available.

Z8 Novice

Thanks Ken. I'd be also very interested

in what he has to say
    -Jeff

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8
    My baffle measures 1/8 inch, or 4mm. I don't know how much thinner it could have been before the new "improved" style, or if this is in fact the "thicker" one, but it does flex in the middle creating a significant vibration at highway speeds. Although the cockpit is still windy due to the aerodynamics of the windshield, the baffle definitely increases the comfort and visibility levels. I'm hoping we can go thicker still, or reinforce the middle somehow- waiting for the company to get back to me.
    Ken,

I measured mine and it is 5mm thick or around 3/16", it is supposed to be the new improved style.

Art

Name:  Z8baffle.gif
Views: 435
Size:  74.2 KB

I re-measured the non-beveled areas, and mine, too, is 3/16" which is the "improved" thickness. I have an appointment to show Dr. Bob the vibration on Monday if its not raining. I marked the areas that rub my leather with an "X" in the photo above

Results of discussion with Dr. Bob from Windbaffle;
    1.) The Z8 baffles are 3/16", the regular baffles are 1/8"
    2.) Mounted behind the roll bars creates less vibration, does not rub the leather or touch the waterfall, and when settled down into place, allows the softtop to work unobstructed
    3.) The vibration is partially related to the tightness of the straps, and the clear straps cannot get as tight as material type straps. They tend to loosen with driving, making the vibration worse. There is a strap sold in hardware stores in black or red which is a self-attaching velcro (one side is the loop, the other the hook and when wrapped around the rollbar attaches to itself quite tightly-these are sometimes used to gather computer or audio cables for a neat appearance)
    4.) Playing with the height of the side windows affects the intensity of the back breeze, and can decrease the movement somewhat
    5.) The vibration is perpendicular to the line of vision, and does not distort rearward vision
    6.) It is what it is, the aerodynamics of the Z8 cockpit are a bit unusual, and we're all free to alter it any way that we would like.

Overall reaction - This is a small company with a product that they strongly believe fills a need to the best of its ability, and are willing to listen to suggestions and back the product with a liberal return policy and friendly customer support.

KenZ8 - Thanks for the de-brief.

I still like the idea of the clear wind-baffle and am still interested. I have yet to receive my order from Oct, but I wasn't pushing very hard while waiting for your feedback.

I guess my question is - Would you recommend it based on your installation/experience, the conversation you had with Dr. Bob, and all the explanations given?

Thanks.

Z8 Novice
    Jawz,

I have had mine for 2+ weeks now. I am really concerned about the flexing, rubbing on the leather. Dr Bob suggested removing the lower vinyl trim piece to get more clearence. I'll try that, but right now I am probably going to return mine. As metzger mentioned in his post "don't set your hopes up too high" The factory baffle really comes quite close to the same IMO. Plus I really like driving with the windows down, so rolling them up/ or partially up is not a good solution for me. I'll try Dr. Bob's suggestion when my Z8 is out of the shop(Last of warranty repairs- glove box latch, heater, seat belts and 1 loose roll hoop, will be 4 years old in 3 days) and update.

ArtZ8

Thanks Art. I'll be waiting to see your final decision.

I ran around town for two hours with the windows at various levels with no success (but I had a really good time and a great story to tell the cops if they stopped me as I had to check all speeds). It was really cold here as I tried the different combinations, and I found that I actually got less wind on the back of my neck without the baffle or factory net. The heater was much more efficient, especially at cruising speeds, without anything. I returned mine.

Z8 Novice

Hi Ken: I took a rotozip to the WBaffle and cut

two small slots in the very lower center and treaded in some leftover clear strap and velco attached it to an old Scott MX goggle clip I found in my old parts tray. The clip has a lip and a slot and I attached the lip under the leather seat back area just under the boot cover. This little tension took almost all of the anoying vibration out of the Baffle. I don't know where to find more clips though.....
    I'm surprised at the rubbing others had. You can see from the pics that I have almost 1/4" off the same area some rubbed at. Either Z8... or more probably WB tolerances are different.
    I've driven it a bunch with it on and am convinced it is a good improvement over nothing for heater function on the colder days and much better looking than the net, but really to each his own. I always take it off over 70deg and stash it in the trunk.
    -J