Thread: KW Coilover Suspension for the Z8

KW Coilover Suspension for the Z8

Following the lead of Dieter in Germany, who uses his Z8 as his 'Ring Chariot, I've ordered the KW Z8 kit for my car. This initial post is just to show you what it is. As it gets fitted I will report back my findings.

Here is the Z8 link on KW's Website.

These pix show how the kit arrives.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Looks promising....

Do you know how much the ride height will be affected? What about the range of adjustments? Do you also plan to use the Dinan Bars or camber plates?
    Thanks, Ian

I will do the upgrades step by step,

starting with the shocks/springs. I will follow Dieter's lead on all the setting as my starting point, he said he will give me the info in a week or two when he has been able to finalize all his settings with the KW over in Germany.

Swaybars will be either Dinan or Cartridge. I have the Dinan's on my 'keeper' so I may take them off there, and put the Cartridge one on it, but more news on that as it happens.

All the height and adjustment info is on the KW site, but here is a PDF of all the pages that are in English for quick reference too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Cost?

Hey Andrew. I looked at the link and I believe the cost was 2995 (US) am I interpreting this correctly? After the differential and exhaust, this is my next and last modification, Just wondering if I should buy now or wait until reasy to install.

I think they worked out a bit cheaper than that...

and if you are doing the exhaust and diff I'd certainly do them at the same time. Two other key mods to do the Z8 are to replace the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) and add the Dinan adjustable swaybars.
    Andrew Macpherson

The distance from the mounting surface of the wheel hub to the inside of the wheel rim. Determines how far the wheel sticks out or in. Will determine if the wheel/tire will rub on your coilovers

This kit is for sale...

I never even opened the box, except to take these pictures. This kit is now offered for sale. $2,200 obo.
    Andrew Macpherson

Did you determine if wheel clearance is a problem?

No, I did not.....

but if it was there is no negative to fit a small 5mm wheel spacer, I had them on all 4 corners of my first Z8 as a 'visual' upgrade to make the wheels look like they fill the mudguards a bit more.
    Andrew Macpherson

I have P255 40 R 19's on 9 inch wide wheels attached to Brembo hats. With so many changes and wider tires, I don't know if 5mm spacers would solve the problem if it existed. Everything clears the current springs now though.

I think that Dieter

may be the only one who knows for sure, so I would suggest dropping him a pm as he is the one who has the most experience with this kit.
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew, did you ever install these and if so, how did it work out?

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

No, I never did, ended up going full ALPINA instead to protect the frame, and I love it!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Yes, while I used to run the AC Schnitzer set-up, (all stiff and low and mean) I really think softer, not harder is the best solution. But I miss the low and mean look.

Z8Mania
    Im curious to see the progress here. Good luck with this Andrew.

Jerry, this is a post from 2005 that just got reawakened, I'm not changing from my Alipna EU set up, it is the best possible package for the car for the California back roads I love.
    Andrew Macpherson

I'd love to take my car to the track and be able to switch to my ACS after a few sessions, just to feel the difference (and lap times?), but that would be massive work. For our roads it's the Alpina set up.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Jerry, this is a post from 2005 that just got reawakened,.
    Sorry about that.

I have been away for a while and I need to explore what has evolved over the last few years. I have H&R springs on an otherwise complete S2 car and I have never liked them.

They are not too stiff but they lowered the rear too much (looks like the car is carrying a dirty diaper) and they have a ugly rebound action that upsets the rear end in spirited cornering (exiting a turn under power).

When I was last hanging around, the ALPINA springs were just getting some traction (pun intended).

I will exercise the search button and try to get caught up.

PS As a side note, I no longer desire the car to be an ultimate street challenge type of ride. My opinion has mellowed over the last 4-5 years.
    2000 Red over black

Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    PS As a side note, I no longer desire the car to be an ultimate street challenge type of ride. My opinion has mellowed over the last 4-5 years.
    Yeah, it's pretty common to come from other cars and instantly starting thinking of doing a bunch of mods to increase power, etc., but after a while, you figure out that it's not necessary. The enjoyment comes from a "lazy" spirited drive on the backroads, perhaps with a few friends. For that, getting the car at 10/10s just isn't needed.

Glad you're dropping in more of late!
    thegunguy

I agree, except for the "Lazy" part! I really enjoy pushing hard, but the Alpina is even better, especially on so-so roads.

Well reading the ALPINA threads, it sounds like a great ride but It is still a bit too tall for my taste. Especially since I don't run 20" wheels.

I am choosing to increase the protection of the chassis with some increased sidewall height in the tires.

I believe compression and rebound are adjustable in the KW system so that may still be a good alternative for me. Ride height is also adjustable which is a big plus for me.

Gun, Thanks, the last few years have been a whirlwind of different issues (I think this is common for lots of us). But the Z8? she is going to be with me till the end.
    2000 Red over black

Yeah, I just mean "no need to take it to the edge". Smiles not gritted teeth.
    thegunguy

PS I also read thru Robert's Cartridge threads. Good Grief! Is that over the top or what?
    2000 Red over black

Bob's work is the most amazing car jewelry I've ever seen. Stunning perfection that's functional and lightweight.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Yeah, I just mean "no need to take it to the edge". Smiles not gritted teeth.
    I joined the ranks of owners that got a second (or for some 3rd or more) car that I can make a 10/10 ride. I will grind my molars in that!
    2000 Red over black

Did you get a track day car, and if so you gotta share some pix. Great to see you back here too!!
    Andrew Macpherson

I deeply enjoyed my Lotus as a track day toy, mostly because it was a grin machine (no grinding).
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Did you get a track day car, and if so you gotta share some pix. Great to see you back here too!!
    Well, Not a "track only" car, but one that I set up more for the track than boulevard cruising.

BTW thanks, This is a great group, I don't know why I drifted other than getting preoccupied with other projects.

2000 Red over black

I really love the GT, and I almost swapped the Z8 for one back in the "dark days" of the frame limbo. I'm glad I didn't, but it's definitely on my list for the future.

I got to ride in a stock one at the track. It's a very well sorted car that is easy to drive to the end of your abilities, with plenty beyond. A gentle giant, really.

Great color! Too many red ones out there.
    thegunguy

What a stunner, and one that's also my bucket list! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks guys,

Well, she is far from stock.

I sent her to Shadowman for 6 weeks of upgrades last spring.

for anyone interested; http://www.discovery-automotive.com/...PermanentWaves

Biggest visual upgrades; lowering and rear bumper delete.

Biggest performance upgrades; switching to Enzo tires (the goodyears were, um, terrible ), adjustable coilovers and increase horsepower (720 at the rear tires)

It is a different animal but easy to drive fast, easy to work on and after the cost of entry, affordable to service. I got this a few years back but they have been creeping up in value lately. Blue is a hard color to find and I got this with 1100 miles on it. Both (color/mileage) were costly premiums. Red and white cars are much more plentiful and can be quiet a bit less money.
    2000 Red over black

Beautiful, and a beast. I love the Titanium color too. Always wanted one. You seem to have picked up the exact two modern cars that have really held value.. good call!

Thanks for the positive comments. Coming from you guys, it meaningful.

I love the titanium too. Much like the Z8, I would love to have a collection of different colors.
    2000 Red over black

The one I was looking at was Tungsten with silver stripes. Loved it.
    thegunguy

I think I meant Tungsten. oops. That's a darker silver, right?

Tungsten is medium gray with heavy flake. Really works with the silver stripes. The sell it on the Mustang too.
    thegunguy

They had a Silver with Black stripes in 2005'

In 06' That became Tungsten with silver stripes

Of course there are some rare no stripe cars.

I think they are the same on Mustangs but with different names, Alloy and Vapor??

I uploaded these from a dealer site.

2000 Red over black

We just designed a new line of products for Mothers Wax. We shot a Tungsten GT for all the labels, but we changed the color of the car to Gold... "California Gold" is the product line. It was just released at SEMA two weeks ago. Great car.

Have any pics?

BTW, Back on topic, I bought a set of KW coilovers today. It is winter up here so it will be spring before I know how it all works out.

Also found out that the super sport Pilots are not available in the size I want. Have to stick with the PS 2 to get a 285/40 ZR 19".

I am going with decent sidewall to absorb the crummy roads up here.
    2000 Red over black

Please give us a full report once you're up and running on the new set up.

Z8Mania
    Beautiful car and it too is a rare thing in that its a modern semi collectible like the Z8. Most modern cars are simply not collectible. I apologize for not noting the dates in the post. I'll look forward to reading about the suspension change. I have to say that for street driving the Alpina european suspension with a stiffer than stock roll bar like the Dinan at its stiffest setting is a terrific win win.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I have to say that for street driving the Alpina european suspension with a stiffer than stock roll bar like the Dinan at its stiffest setting is a terrific win win.
    Thanks and I agree that the ALPINA combo may be the best all around combination.

I have an emotional hang up about ride height, more specifically tire to fender "Gaposis" and the KW is adjustable so i will try that first. It may be a bust. Stay tuned.
    2000 Red over black

Yes, I'm that way about "Gaposis" too! But real world drivability won out. I'm curious to see if you can lower the ride hight but keep compliance... You'll need to drive it back-to-back with a Euro Alpina car for comparison (Please). Coilovers usually sacrifice ride quality, badly.

I know you are right. I swapped to coilovers in the GT and most of the time, everything is great. Turn in/understeer greatly improved. Roll dramatically diminished. Steering response vastly improved. yes slow speed road roughness is exaggerated, and I hear/feel the expansion joints more.

For that car is was worth it. For the Z8, I will have to see. I remember the "old days" when I modified early mustangs and (for others) ride height was fine tuned by cutting the coils. Of course that does increase the spring rate but they were looking for much more than the inch or so we are talking about here.
    2000 Red over black