Thread: Motorola STAR tac

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar

Motorola STAR tac

My european Z8 is equipped with the Motorola Startac. I found in the boot the box with the original phone ....but it was dead. After some searching I found on the internet a new one for sale and to day I got my combo SIM cards .....and it works! So now I can call handsfree in my Z8
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Wow, thats cool, I never hooked up the phone in mine, its still in its box!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I like to keep the car original so no bluetooth is installed .....but I can use the same phone number as my iPhone so no problems.
    Ton

Z8Mania
    That is cool. In the USA, unless you had the phone from before ~2003 and you had it working so you would be "grandfathered" you cannot sign it up for a new service these days because the old phones don't have GPS chips in them. Part of the changes after 9/11 was every cell phone has a GPS or GPS like ability to be located...

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    That is cool. In the USA, unless you had the phone from before ~2003 and you had it working so you would be "grandfathered" you cannot sign it up for a new service these days because the old phones don't have GPS chips in them. Part of the changes after 9/11 was every cell phone has a GPS or GPS like ability to be located...
    Aha...did not know this...luckily we don't have these restrictions in Europe.
    Ton

Make sure your car has the wiring fix for the phone hookup so it doesn't drain the battery when off. My first battery lasted 2 months before it was completely dead due to the key-off drain!

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    Make sure your car has the wiring fix for the phone hookup so it doesn't drain the battery when off. My first battery lasted 2 months before it was completely dead due to the key-off drain!
    Thanks for heads up Tom! Can this wiring fix be found in a BMW service bulletin? But as you describe it can it be avoided by taking out the Motorola when the key is off?
    Ton