Thread: I am assuming there was a phone to go in the cradle...

Sport Button On - DSC Off

I am assuming there was a phone to go in the cradle...

in the console?Needless to say I did not get it; Also does anyone know what the "flashlight" looking thing is next to the CD changer in the same compartment, I pulled it out and then put it back??? Help....lol.....dogdoc

Z8Mania
    I think you found the flashlight- is it dead? Also what year is your car? The car originally came with (from memory) the Motorola CPT-7000 (early cars) or CPT-8000 (time port phones). The smart ones kept their account active, if you did you would still have a working phone today, despite what the phone companies tried to tell us about everyone had to upgrade to the new GPS phones after 9/11; I know someone who kept his phone active. I have my phone but its not in use.

ok so it is a flashlight...

I cannot even find it in the manual? Is it a battery/rechargable or just a throw away? can you still get that phone, I would NOT think so....but I saw where the connection can be used for my ipod,someone had ahtread on that here, is that right?dog

Z8Mania
    No. I suppose you could run an iPod wire to the same location but its not the same cable nor connector. I would imagine the phones are floating around on ebay but I bet they are somewhat scarce. It depends on which exact model your car is setup for. In general a BMW phone for an 2002-2003 E39 M5 would also work- make sure its the right model phone.

It is a flashlight, though mine has been dead for years, so it sits with the defuct old phone in a box. Neither work anymore, and both drain the already drain easy system. By the way, you need to keep this car on a trickle charger, so some reason the Z8 kills its battery dead in about 10 days without constant charging.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Paul Peck (routineer) did the iPod wire conversion, but it is more than just adding a connection. You have to run the wire to the stereo head unit. He lists it in his Z8 registry post and may have discussed it in a thread. I imagine others have too. There is a whole section on the first Z8 board page on Stereo and related items. Just scroll down.

You may want to download and print a Z8 manual that you can access. I read it cover to cover on the plane to look at a car I almost bought. A bit obsessive I guess.

Z8Mania
    A bit obsessive? Anyone here fit that bill?

The same flashlight is in all modern BMWs I've ever seen. It's a rechargeable. you can purchase a replacement at any BMW parts counter.
    thegunguy

All the manuals etc are over in the PDF section too.
    Andrew Macpherson

thnx for that, I do want to be able to use my ipod...

so I have been reading those threads;something about running it up thru the head and into the phone console area;I cannot tell where you even open that dash up, I won't do it but looking for something easy that most higher end stereo stores can help me with I hope; I wish the dealer would know how to do it,dog

PS does the trickle charger that came with the car work, someone posted it was too weak, what brand should I get?

Again, Search is your friend.
    iPod:
    http://bmwz8.us/vbb/search.php?searchid=714171

iPhone:
    http://bmwz8.us/vbb/search.php?searchid=714177

Bluetooth:
    http://bmwz8.us/vbb/search.php?searchid=714185

Console:
    http://bmwz8.us/vbb/search.php?searchid=714189

Charger:
    http://bmwz8.us/vbb/search.php?searchid=714168

Also, this is the very reason several members have suggested that you use the thread and post Title field for the subject of your thread/post. Using the search function, you can easily find threads on almost any subject, particularly if you limit the search to Title. Please, please, please try not to fill Title field with a rambling sentence fragment and continue it in the post. If you fill your title with such rambling gook, it makes the thread much less easy to find or even figure out what it's about.

This board is great for interaction between the owners, but its perhaps most valuable function is cataloging information on issues, tips, upgrades, etc. So, proper care in posting to make information accessible and helpful to others is the responsibility of all of us here. Sure, Macfly maintains the service of the forum, but we are all owners in some way by contributing. Please take care in doing your part to keep things organized. It's the old you get what you give bit.

Perhaps a good strategy until you get your feet under you would be for you to have a single thread with all of your various questions. Think of it as your own little chat room. I think Norcal suggested this a while back.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    It is a flashlight, though mine has been dead for years, so it sits with the defuct old phone in a box. Neither work anymore, and both drain the already drain easy system. By the way, you need to keep this car on a trickle charger, so some reason the Z8 kills its battery dead in about 10 days without constant charging.
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have never used the trickle charger, and have replaced my Battery twice, I think since new (about every 3-4 years).

thnx!

I see that someone did that for me, I got the thread title thing, I see it would make it difficult for folks to find an exact topic,appreciate the corrective criticism! dog

Z8Mania
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have never used the trickle charger, and have replaced my Battery twice, I think since new (about every 3-4 years).
    My car never exhibited battery drain issues either. Actually my car has had fewer issues than what I see as typical and its a very early build (#55) I suspect, along with another member here (Jim, #41 I think) that the really early build cars were built with a little extra TLC to make sure they were right. I still run the trickle charger but for the first 3 years of its life I never used it. Never had a problem. I also disconnected the phone when not in use.

The one thing I never got was the phone... no great loss!

Me too, I had to buy one on EBay just to have one for the 'collection'.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I used to use the phone all the time with the top up. But it was only useful at speeds up to 40-50 MPH- after that the wind noise even with the top up was too much. I hear you on the phone. I think the Audi R8 spider has a cool way of addressing the phone- they put microphones in the seatbelt!

I just don't want to answer the phone in the Z8, other than coordinating on a drive.

Cool on the R8.
    thegunguy

And taking pictures... some pretty nice ones, I should add.

thnx gun guy

but the links you posted do not work for me, or appear to have expired. I did see those in the archives but I am very confused as to what to purchase for the ipod connection. Some have talked of Icelink that I thought was made by Denison, and then I got lost; some of these ipod posts are a bit old I recall and was looking for a more plug and play that perhaps a dealer could do, I will not attempt it myself, thanks,Max

Rifle, you copy/pated the search criteria, not the URL, so they just come up blank. Max, I don't think anyone has done an iPod install in quite a while, so thats why the info looks dated. From memory there isn't a quick and easy plug and play, they were all pretty complicated installs requiring the removal of lots of the interior panels, seats, etc, and that is why I never bothered getting it done.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    IMHO its not worth it. If its a question on where to spend funds Id go into suspension, wheels, tires waayy before the stereo. I know its retro but just burn some CDs.

Jerry's suggestion is really the easiest.

There just isn't much available for a practically one-off radio that is 10 years out of introduction (probably more like 15 years old in technology or more). That's why many opt to set the OE radio aside and install something more modern and capable.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    You can do that too. This is just my own preference but I really don't like the look of the aftermarket head units. I just like things to look "factory". I don't have a problem with the Alpina wheels or my stealth Alpina V1 install because both items are factory. Same for the M5 wheels on the car, they are from BMW- and they look GOOD.

Agreed, the aftermarket radios don't really fit the design. Sadly, aftermarket radios seem to always look terrible. Who designs those things? Luckily, our car has the little cover to hide the ugliness.

My Alpine isn't "tooooo" bad, compared to many, but I'd gladly opt for something more tasteful. I couldn't care less about the quality of McIntosh in such a loud (wind more than anything) car, but I do like the style (except for the gold accents). They just charge way too much.

thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Alpine is classy. So is the McIntosh but the McIntosh was an option in the Ford GT and when I see it I think of that car. Which is also a retro homage car so it might work in the Z8. Also the display on the mac probably wouldn't show all the iPod metadata Id want. If I was doing it, Id go Alpine and get sat radio, iPod, nav if possible etc. Yeah McIntosh charges a ton and I don't think they are quite the same company we remember them as. Still sounds good though.

I think we all come back to just wanting to listen to our favorite group of Alex Eisenmann and Eddy Meisterschaft, with that amazing frontman, David Lee S62. Volume modulation is easy and fun.
    thegunguy

Agree with many of you and Zman!

I too prefer factory, those after market radios light up for the young kids in thsoe rice rockets all jacked up, lights flashing. I can use the Cd's for sure, just love my IPOD stuff, BTW, the M5 wheel is mentioned, is there a part number? thanks, Max

Mac has returned to some of their glory days in the audio world, but audiophiles are not enamored with car systems much period. That said there was a good review a few years back on the Mark Levinson system in a Lexus. It was more than amp, speakers and a head unit, but I wonder if a Lexus unit would fit and sound decent? They look pretty tame without all the lights and odd shapes on the face.

Z8Mania
    I believe the ML system in the Lexus was tuned for the Lexus so it would be difficult to replicate. As for some favorite traveling music, in addition to mechanical sounds of S62 and her mates, I like:

McIntosh is also an option for Subaru outside of the US. Makes me giggle.

I got pretty close on a GT (tungsten with stripes) back during frame limbo days, considering a replacement should things go bad. Not really an apple to apple, but I like the GT quite a bit. Even though it's the spiritual reincarnation of the GT40, I found it to be pretty contemporary in its execution, compared to the Z8 which has a more unified classic design. This was not a bad thing, but I thought the McIntosh radio really stuck out in its aluminum pod. When you sit in the car, it really jumps at you as not being integrated. The pic below gives some idea. Every car should have controls like the GT, BTW. So fun.

I think the McIntosh would work better in the Z8, but the limitation to CD really doesn't do much in replacing the OE unit. Visually, I'd like the equivalent of the black Leica M9-P with the functionality of the Alpine IDA-X series.

Hmmmm. Should we form a group to create visually pleasing (and simple) audio units with modern functionality? No one seems to get it. Silly market though.

thegunguy

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    I guess there is always the option of an FM transmitter for your iPod, if FM radio quality is acceptable to you.

Gunguy, I can't imagine macs without the gold/glass face. But they certainly look more impressive stacked up in the living (music?) room than a car.

The GT40 would be perfect parked next to the Z8 in the garage.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red