Thread: M6 journey has ended

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

M6 journey has ended

The journey of my M6 has ended. I have heard today that it has reached South Carolina.

but now the journey really begins, many, many miles of motoring joy!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thank you

I read your article in the Roundel regarding the M6 convertible you had at the Z8 Club meeting - very well written and informative. I agree that the power switch resetting every time the ignition is turned off is a problem; however I doubt a car with only 400 hp can feel underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by FWK-Z8 View Post
    I read your article in the Roundel regarding the M6 convertible you had at the Z8 Club meeting - very well written and informative. I agree that the power switch resetting every time the ignition is turned off is a problem; however I doubt a car with only 400 hp can feel underpowered.
    Once you set up the M-Drive button, it's just single button tap to get the car in your preferred settings, including all 507 horses.

Can't wait to see the pics!
    Last edited by thegunguy; August 10th 2007 at 23:22.
    thegunguy

I'm on the plane Wednesday

For 50 years Memorial Day has been a day of anticipation and Labor Day a bittersweet holiday, first marking an end to the freedom of summer vacation, and later, when I lived on the east coast, the anticipation of seeing friends and enjoying the Z3 at BMW Roadster Homecoming, but with the knowledge that sports car days were coming to an end.

This is the first year I have looked forward to the Labor Day weekend with unbridled anticipation. At the Historics, I met an instructor from the Performance Center and he confirmed that he has seen my M6 sitting at the Performance Center. Early Wednesday morning I will board the plane to Spartanburg, and a week from today the M6 and I will head back to California.

A number of my freinds have asked about the wait. Anticipation has been part of the experience - tracking the car being built, then transported to the port, abord the Leader Hudson, nowing it was only a couple hundred miles away, then at the end of its delivery journey in Spartanburg. Since the Performance Center opend, I have dreamed of picking up a car there. The anticipation now is seeing it in its delivery cubicle and taking an M6 out on the track.

Congrats, it has been a while coming. Have you done a BMW DE in spartanburg? I'm sure you would enjoy it. Perhaps you will do one while there...or...think of all the tracks and schools on the way home?

Have a ball, I know you will.

Have a great time home, and don''t forget the V1 - those backwater cops can be pretty mean at the speeds the M6 is capable of!
    Andrew Macpherson

V1

The V1 left in the trunk of a Z4 with friends bound to Spartanburg. I wasn't sure if I'd get a hassle about it at the airport.

I have had people ask about the break-in speeds for the M6. In the first 1,200 miles you are advised not to exceed 103 MPH. Between 1,200 and 3,000 you can take it up to 130.

Enjoy the trip...we'll be expecting pics!
    thegunguy

M6 Safely Home

At 3,222 miles the M6 slid in the garage next to the Z8 Saturday night. The cross-country trip was made with out incident, with stops in Vicksburg, MS, Carlsbad Caverns, the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and a 1,200 mile service stop at Classic BMW in Dallas, TX.

If you have not done a Performance Center delivery, you should plan one for your next BMW purchase. It is a lifetime experience. I was picked up at the Greenville Spartanburg Airport by a driver with a new 5-er wagon. I asked if we could return to the Marriott by way of the Perfomance Center (the opposite direction from the airport then the hotel). He willingly complied. The Performance Center is constructed with presentation rooms open to the exterior and glassed on two walls. It was dark when we arrived. My M6 was sitting in one of these rooms bathed in a soft light with its keys and manuals laid out on a small desk like objects to be used in a religious ritual. It was the first time I had seen an M6 in Indianapolis Red, and the first time I had even seen an image of the Sepang paired with the red.

Despite the fact that it was at my 4:30, I had no problem making the 7:30 AM shuttle to the Performance Center. Five other BMWs were being delivered - two 355s and an X5 among them.

When we arrived, the appropriate cars were lined up ready for the track. I walked over to an M6. I was willing to accept a test drive in an SMG equipped car; however the instructor called to me and told me they were bringing a 6-speed around for me. I quipped that if it was red with a tan interior they were going to be in serious trouble. It was silver with black.

The first session was a short track/autocross. Cars were started when the preceeding car was about halfway around the track. I started behind a 335i - no slouch of a car or driver, but at the end of one lap I had easily caught the 335.

Next we had a demonstration of ABS. The instructor had each of us drive a J-shaped course at increasing speed and call out when to brake. I noted that one of the problems with the HUD display is when you first see one, you tend to fixate n it - there appears to be this detached thing at the end of your hood.

Next was the wet skidpad. The instructor was in the right seat and had a switch to disable the traction control, and would instruct you to first lift off the gas and then "floor" it. Prdictably, with the traction contol off and 500 hp the car would do multiple spins. Amazingly, with the TC on, the car just ran a bit wide but continued along the intended course. I would have liked to try the MDM mode which allowed for a bit of tail-out.

Finally it was time for delivery. My freinds Donna and Ken Starback showed as if on cue. Donna is resposible for the photographs and has my thanks for them.

The delivdery took around 2.5 hours - about half an hour to explain most of the features and the remaining 2 hours for the i-Drive. In fairness, the much maligned i-Drive is one of the better ways to handle the myriad of controls present in a modern car. The alternative is a sea of tiny buttons in on the center stack. Given the price of an M6 or Z8, the owner is likely to wear bifocals, making an attempt to find the right button, especially at the bottom of the stack and exercise in murky futility. The i-Drive itself can be manipulated without looking at it (do you stare at your computer's mouse while using it?) and it puts the controls right up in the driver's field of vision. Once you lear the voice commands, it becomes even easier to access the secondary controls.

Finally it was time for the M6 to enter the sunlight for the first time under my vcontrol. With theatrical slowness the sunscreen rose and the doors to the outside parted, and the M6 was freed from captivity. The afternoon was taken by a demonstration of BMW's X SAV's and a tour of the Zentrum.

On the road, suprizingly the M6 is a much different car then the Z8. With a stroke of 89 mm and torque of 368 ft-lb @3,800 RPM, the Z8's fits its tradtional nature with an easy-going V8. By merely increasing the pressure of your toes on the accelerator, it leaps from 70 to 90 MPH. By comparison the M6 can be caught flat-foted at American highway speeds with its oversquare 92 x 72.5 mm design and 368.8 ft-lb of torque coming at a lofty 6,100 RPM, the M6 needs to drop a couple of gears from a sixth gear cruise to get onto its power band - Cobra vs. a modern F1 engine. BMW has thoughtfully sprung the shift so that a 6th to 3rd downshift is a natural push forward. The reward is a slightly unnatural scream of a V10, not typically heard outside of Grand Prix circuits. As an added benefit is that the engine braking is as prodigious as the rate of acceleration. A series of twisties can be negotiated solely by throttle moulation. West of Odessa, TX the traffic thinned, the speed limit increased to 80, and the M6 first kissed the triple digits. In another unnamed spot in the American southwest, a deserted highway saw a shot to 139.

Beautiful car Fred. It was great to see you, and thanks for the drive......oooh what an engine!

Welcome back!! Great tale, thanks for sharing, don't forget to post some pix!
    Andrew Macpherson

Welcome home. It's great to see you're enjoying the new toy!
    thegunguy

Pics added to post

lovely - once again congratulations!
    Andrew Macpherson

Beautiful color combination on a magnificent automobile. Enjoy! Perhaps you should change the thread title to "M6 journey has begun" since the real fun has just started.