Thread: Wiesmann cars, what do you think?

Question Wiesmann cars, what do you think?

Is this the nearest thing to a Z8 you have ever seen (in sprit) or is it just me?

Check out the sound & trim & colour options!

Colin

Feel free to tell me if i have gone mad!

http://www.wiesmann.com

It is closer to the Z3/Z4 when you see it in person, or better still I'd call it the German Morgan. They are well made and very attractive cars with BMW M motors & drivetrains.

if you want a great classic GT sytle car that isn't a Z8, then I think the AM DBS or Alfa 8C are about the closest you'll get - however IMHO while both are gorgeous cars I wouldn't swap my Z8 for either.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I also had a ?I want a Z8 again moment? in Monaco when I saw this.
    and how could you not :-)

Doing all these fun fast and furious runs it makes sense to keep trying different things, you should join one of those fractional ownership clubs like Damon Hill's P2. I'd also suggest getting the new Audi R8, its as ugly as sin, but meant to be a wonderful car to drive.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Doc and I stood next to a black Wiesmann on the shores of Lago Garda. In the flesh, the design is well sorted and quite attractive from a classic perspective.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    I have to admit I just love the Wiesmann cars. I had a chance to drive and take a closer look on both models over the last years. Build quality is excellent and performance is also awesome! Remeber both the GT and the MF models just weigh around 1200 kg... one awesome driving experience. The design is definitely a matter of taste, but you actually have to see them in person. The GT was pretty much the same experience I had with the first Ford GT I saw. Looking at pictures: looks quite flat, you see it for real: wow, that IS flat... the interiour is quite similar to the Z8 actually, also with even a wider mid-tunnel. (resulting in little foot space, but with the engine right behind i think it is pretty much 50:50 balanced...) Anyway, I heard they'll be exporting to the US by 2009, you should definitly give it a shot... I'm sort of waiting to see what other engine is coming up for the GT (M5 prototypes have been spotted, haha actually it was a wrecked factory prototype clearly showing the M V10...) also the current V8 is just one blast...
    regards
    Klaus

I heard they'll be exporting to the US by 2009
    That sounds interesting, I really like the GT version, and with the M5/6 V10 it would be a blast! How much are these cars in the EU, I couldn't find any price guides anywhere.
    Andrew Macpherson

Not my "cup of tea".

Sport Button On
    I got the pricelists and catalogue stuff somewhere around, I can post them when I found them. To give you a rough idea, the MF models start at ~?90000, the GT at ~?110000. However fully equipped they are usually ~20000 above...

That makes it more expensive that a GT3 or a 997 Twin Turbo, and also makes it a hard sell over here.
    Andrew Macpherson

A few more pictures:

Competitors: AM Vantage or Audi R8, Porsche 911 targets imho a different type of customer group. However, I personally prefer Ferrari.

Thanks for the photos.... It's a bit... if BMW made TVR's

Colin

Seeing the driver inside in those shots makes it look like a very small car. I do rather like the style, but to spring for one I wouldn't want to be in the $130+K range which it where it sounds like it will end up if/when it gets here.
    Andrew Macpherson

But a steal compared to a fisker, and far more unique.

Nice video, professional driver, in German only (engine 4.8l V8 BMW): Link

Great video. Thanks.

The design is quirky, but unique. The size of the car will likely be important to the market, but, with it's drivetrain, I see the weight as the key to its driving experience fun factor. (I still can't understand why a two seater like the Z8 with an aluminum chassis and body couldn't have been closer to 3K pounds). My guess is that the Weisman is a hoot to drive if the suspension has been sorted out ... and it's hard to imagine a German car builder not doing that.

We had this discussion about small simple tail lights of the 50's. I suppose that Martin Weisman is being more true to that retro look than others.

Here is likely a problem for the viability for such a mark: the market may think that $130K is a lot, but my guess is that Weisman will not get their development costs back for quite a while at that level. After all, Henrik had $500 million to build the Z8 and BMW probably never planned to make money on the car.

I would agree with Ian that while the car may not suit all of us, it is probably a value for that person who wants a combination of that style and performance in a non-mass produced car.

Looks like a mashup of Morgan, an E-type coupe and a Cobra.

I kind of like the profile - but i really do not care for the front - the grille reminds me of one of the recent smaller Jaguars.

Sport Button On
    the cockpit size in the GT is actually quite comfortable. you really sit on the floor of the car (well beyond the door sills) which sort of covers up for the low height. you're definitely well surrounded by the mid-tunnel doors and dashboard, but it really blends in with the whole concept.
    the roadster has a really steep dashboard with the windshield immediately behind the instruments, you sort of have to like that (at least i was not used to it when i first sat in one...)

That video is really nice - you know the more I look at it the more I like it!
    Does anyone know who is bringing it to the USA yet?
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew,

I took a look at the Bentley of Long Island site (http://www.bentleylongisland.com/) after reading your post for current sales (http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?p=8422#post8422), as they seem to set the higher retail benchmark for our cars. It's interesting to look under "Inventory" in the "Collectible/Muscle Cars" section. The initial cars that come are the Austin Healy 3000 Mark II and III. They brought to mind a couple of things. First, the side view and vertical orientation tail lights are quite similar to the Weisman roadster. Almost a Z8 to XKE type of similarity.
    For fun, I also included what the Tempest Healy was to look like in relation to the Weisman.

Second, on a tangent, we grew up around the Austin Healy 3000's and I remember them as a common sport car with more power than the MGB's. To see their values at $80K makes me think that even a higher volume exotic like the Z8 should begin to climb. Values are always a function of the demand and demand is at least partially set by the number of people who long for a reminder of their early driving years. (see the early Corvettes between $100K and $300K). In that manner, the demand for the Z8 might not come for another 30-50 years (By that scale, the Z8's should be around $2-3M ). The scenario requires making some strong assumptions that petrol will still be available and that people will be still talking to each other. In the meantime, their value doesn't really matter, as we enjoy them. I just feel lucky to have what will likely be named the most significant automobile design by the 2100 Extragalactic Transportation Commission.

Ted

Sport Button On
    I read about starting to export to the US a few month ago. However I can't remember where... as there hasn't been anything official, who knows.
    btw, here is the prototype...

Ouch

Now that's strut tower deformity!

As one can see the damaged GT is the V10 Prototype, the accident was somewhat mysterious. During a road test made by the German magazine auto motor sport problems with the rear axle set up occured, this is fixed already.

A friend (Ing.) told me, the structure and the frame of the car are rather simple but solid. May be, the V10 is too much for such a leightweight car ...

However, I believe the GT with the V8 engine is a great combination.

Btw: this car is really exclusive, planned production number for 2007 is 200 (!), waiting time from order to delivery is about 9 months, I have a hard time to imagine exports to the USA (the weak USD doesn't help either)

The accident of the prototype was not mysterious at all. A person I know talked to the driver J?rg van Ommen, a well known DTM Race Professional with quite a success story. I also talked to the head sales guy at Wiesmann, who confirmed the story of the accident.

According to both sources, a tire blew up at high speed, no chance for the driver.
    There will be a GT with the 10 cyl engine.

The roadster is so small that I would have to cut a dent into my left shoulder to drive it. The GT is more spacious, and it is quite a car to drive.

The weakness with the suspension has long been sorted out of course, and according to Frank Pupkes, Sales Director, all existing cars (a couple of handful at that time) have been retro-fitted with the fix.
    Last edited by dwz8; July 29th 2007 at 09:56.
    Best regards, Dieter

With the v10 from the M5/6 this car would be a wild ride for sure, but given the choice I'd prefer the V8 for the kind of driving I do here. Does anyone have prices for the cars over there? While it is true the dollar is in the thrash today the pendulum always swings both ways, and I hope it will regain most of its former strength in the next political cycle.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    I'll be home again Tuesday looking forward to finding the pricelist (finally)... btw, the prices I quoted above are including german vat.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    With the v10 from the M5/6 this car would be a wild ride for sure, but given the choice I'd prefer the V8 for the kind of driving I do here. Does anyone have prices for the cars over there? While it is true the dollar is in the thrash today the pendulum always swings both ways, and I hope it will regain most of its former strength in the next political cycle.
    I agree that the V10 is too much for this car, in fact, it is too much for the M5/M6 already IMHO. This is an engine for a mid-engine car with real sports car attributes, not for a sedan or limousine type of car.
    Best regards, Dieter

Dieter, having done over 2,000k's in the M6 for the Mille Miglia event I agree with you. It is such a rev happy supersport engine that it really would suit a car like the Audi R8/Gallardo/Carrera GT far more than a big sedan/saloon. The power is just awesome, but it does seem a bit wasted on shifting a 4,000+ car that could really use more torque than more power.

Talking of torque, that is what I think would make the Wiessman GT fun, a torquey V8 that can slip and slide the rear end around without conguring up the insane speeds the M5/M6 motor would.

The other thing that troubles me about the piture of the burnt out prototype above is that there doesn't seem to be any kind of crash protection structure, and why did a simple blow out lead to such a bad car fire?
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Don't overrate that picture. Obviously the wreck had been cleaned up with the picture probably taken just before being towed away... anyway I can't see the fire.
    Any car with a 200+ crash can look like this...

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    The other thing that troubles me about the piture of the burnt out prototype above is that there doesn't seem to be any kind of crash protection structure, and why did a simple blow out lead to such a bad car fire?
    Apparently the crash happened at really high speed, probably north of 250 km/h, so the tire was just the cause, the rest is the impact of the guardrails.
    But you're right safety precautions are probably not the strongest part of this car. I think they recently introduce airbags, but I don't know about side airbags.
    Best regards, Dieter

By chance I just got to shoot some of these at the 'ring.

These cars are really beautifully made, and make a simply wonderful noise. The GT really does look lovely, and has an extra level of luxury about it, and the one in these shots is being driven by Martin Weisman himself.

Andrew Macpherson