Thread: A very good reason to fly to OK.

A very good reason to fly to OK.

http://www.starsandstripesms.com/RadicalPrograms.html

Now this could be a very fun trip. I've had the pleasure of twice driving a Radical. It is a really amazing machine - it defies what you think can be done behind the wheel, and is just mad fun to drive. Forget the Atom, or any other track day special, this thing performs like a real racecar.

Corporate/Group Events: $750/person (minimum of 4 clients per day) we can even get an awesome group discount, I'd love to do a three day course there - anyone else?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I might want to do that soon, and bring Morgan too. 750 pp/per day? What about the socal radical guys?
    Last edited by Norcal; July 18th 2007 at 03:57.

My recollection was that the west coast distributor for the Radicals was in Pahrump, NV and that they had events there. Here is their link - http://www.radicalwest.com/.

We can all stay with Z8Doc!
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Hey Jeff

Looks like you might get visitors.

Yes, there are is a Radical school in Pahrump, NV. I have to plug the programme because this is my state. Pahrump is 45 minutes from Vegas. Great track - very technical. I got to race in the sleet in January in a Cobra. That was interesting. I have heard the school is great.

Dave P

The only thing that I don't like about Pahrump is that they only use the smaller north (Radical) loop for the school, not the 3.1 mile config that is so much fun - also it is in easy Lotus range, so I get to go there once or twice a year already.

However the facility at Spring Mountain is really excellent, and they also now have a Lotus School there, so you could do a one day at the Lotus school, one at the Radical school and one in the Z06 school! Sadly the Z06 is the only one that runs the full track.

The track in OK looks fun, and it is sort of in the middle, so we could kind of do a mini Meet in the Middle without our Z8's!
    Andrew Macpherson

So...which one? and when?

IF the price is right.....

Come on Down!!!!

You know we will have some fun. The track has about 80 or so feet of total elevation change (half of which is along turns 7 thru 9 -- nickname... the bitch and relatively short at 1.8 miles and 10 turns total. The run counter clockwise in the morning and clockwise in the afternoon. Turn 9 counter clockwise is named that for good reason and during a 2 day school there my son understeered off the track and into the tire wall at about 60mph and tore the hood off his spec Racer Ford (similar type of car to the Radical). Turn 2 -- literally a Stop and turn left. You come down the straight after the first turn and easily get to greater than 100mph and bang, a 90 + degree turn with trees just of the road!!! Look at the pic MacFly posted and you will see.

Overall, a fun track and reasonably in good shape. The Stephens Bros who run the show are great fun too. Come on over and we will have a great time!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I plan to, but when?. BTW I used to race a SRF with SCCA....I doubt it has much in comon with the radical!

Lets do it! What is the weather like in mid-late Oct?
    Andrew Macpherson

Sounds like fun, if I lived a bit closer I would certainly join you guys.... Have fun

I can't do mid to late Oct, can we go early Oct? or Late sept?

Ian, late Sept is bad for me....

planning on attending BMW Octoberfest in Dallas this year which is the last weekend of September. Also, mid-October (the 18-21) I will be in your neck of the wood as I have a Meeting in San Francisco that weekend and wanted to have dinner with you and Tracey, if your in town! As far as the similarities with the SRF, what I was referring to was the general design, not the performance.

If you all want to do this here, the track days become shorter after October as the track itself does not get warm enough (average November to March temp here is 42 degrees) which makes for pretty cool temps for aggressive track driving.

Let me know if you all are serious about coming to Tulsa and I will see what days the track has to do something like this.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I've put a call in, and I'll try to get some rough dates from them for late Sept.
    Andrew Macpherson

You know you can count on me...
    thegunguy

I already emailed them regarding just that for maybe 4-5 of us who are interested. The last weekend of Sept is the beginning of the BMW Oktoberfest in Dallas. Hallett always has lots of activities on the weekends, esp. Saturdays, but the track is usually wide open during the week (my recommendation). Maybe do a few events in Dallas on the weekend with BMW and then Hallett on Monday-Wednesday?

I will let you know when I hear back from them. If I do not get a response by Monday, I will call them.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Perhaps we can coordinate both events track day at Hallett and socializing with other BMW enthusiasts in Fort Worth at Oktoberfest. Hallett - weekday, O'Fest - weekend?
    thegunguy

I have already made contact with the folks at Stars and Stripes and Hallett. Jim at Stars and Stripes will be at Hallett tomorrow and was going to check the availability dates. I will post when he gets back to me.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Thanks, it all sounds good. My main interest is driving the Radicals, is 2 days enough?

Let's get together for sure. But, it is my daughters b-day on the 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    planning on attending BMW Octoberfest in Dallas this year which is the last weekend of September. Also, mid-October (the 18-21) I will be in your neck of the wood as I have a Meeting in San Francisco that weekend and wanted to have dinner with you and Tracey, if your in town! As far as the similarities with the SRF, what I was referring to was the general design, not the performance.

If you all want to do this here, the track days become shorter after October as the track itself does not get warm enough (average November to March temp here is 42 degrees) which makes for pretty cool temps for aggressive track driving.

Let me know if you all are serious about coming to Tulsa and I will see what days the track has to do something like this.
    Last edited by Norcal; July 21st 2007 at 05:07.

Unhappy Ian, you mean you don't want to come half way....

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Thanks, it all sounds good. My main interest is driving the Radicals, is 2 days enough?
    across the country just to visit Cindy and I?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

As far as how much time we need, that would depend on what day of the week we plan this. For example, if we do this on the weekend, we would not have near as much seat time in the Radical as the track is being used on Sat / Sun for other routine track events with other car clubs being rotated thru along with us and the other driving schools.

When I did the Stephens Bros. School there, it was Friday/Saturday. On Friday, we had the track to ourselves the whole day. Saturday, had about half as much time or less.

I would suggest we do the Dallas stuff on the weekend (the beginning of O'fest) and then do 2 days (Monday/Tuesday) at Hallett, if it is available those days.
    Let me know what you all think.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Of course I'll meet you and cindy half way! As for the days, I'll need to check it out. Week days for the track sounds good...mon/tues might work well.

Mon Tues would be good for me too, but I can try to book any days out so long as we lock it down soon.
    Andrew Macpherson

So, are we talking sat Sept. 29, through tues. Oct. 2nd ? or the next weekend?

I'm good with either.
    Andrew Macpherson

Excellent! A continental MITM is forming!

Any "right-coasters" making their way to O'Fest?
    thegunguy

Not sure yet....

So, are we talking sat Sept. 29, through tues. Oct. 2nd ? or the next weekend?
    as I have not heard from Jim Elliot with Stars and Stripes about the availability but as soon as I do, I will let everyone know so we can solify the plans.

Here is what I would "wish for" as far as a schedule goes --

Friday, Sept 28th, Arrive in Dallas with maybe Dinner with the Texoma Z8 owners.
    Sat. Sept 29th, Attend O'fest activities in Dallas with Z8 owners interested.
    Sun. Sept 30, drive to Tulsa, Dinner and not too early to bed.
    Monday. Oct 1st, Hallett with the Radical
    Tuesday. Oct 2nd, Hallett with the Radical
    Wed. Oct 3rd, ? Radical or route 66 drive to a fall leaves drive through Eastern OK mountains and home Thursday?

I favor only 2 days with the Radical personally, especially if we have the track all to ourselves, with only 5 of us, that is alot of seat time in a given day.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    Sat. Sept 29th, Attend O'fest activities in Dallas with Z8 owners interested.
    Just so everyone realizes, the event is in Fort Worth, not Dallas. They're only 30/60 minutes apart depending on traffic, but key in making any hotel arrangements, etc.
    thegunguy

Hey everyone,

I know everyone is preoccupied with the Monterrey trip but... I got word from Jim Elliot today about booking the Radical event -- he needs a definitive weekend to book and to give us a final price. Either weekend we mentioned is available.

We need to decide:

1] When are we doing this? The days immediately preceding the weekend of Sept
    29/30 (O'fest weekend in FT Worth)are both available.
    We can do 2 or 3 days (Sept 26,27, and/or 28th OR... Oct 1, 2 and/or 3rd)
    We can do 3 days but I think 2 is probably enough, as I put in my last post.

2] How many can Commit to coming in order to book and get a final price? I need
    a head count.

3] How many interested in an extra day here in OK for some leisure driving?
    Leaves should be starting to turn a little but
    if not, still dry, low temp and low humidity days here -- which are pretty
    perfect for Oklahoma.

Email me your response or PM me ASAP so we can get this finalized too.

Thanks -

Jeff
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Sent my response via email...

Prefer Thurs/Fri before O'fest. Actually, one day is probably enough for me, but I can understand if the guys flying here want to do more.
    Last edited by thegunguy; July 25th 2007 at 13:46.
    thegunguy

ditto on the email

and I'll work around everyone elses time, so long as we can lock it in quick.
    Andrew Macpherson

So far.... here are the participants for the Radical MITM - Oklahoma for this fall --

z8doc, thegunguy, macfly, norcal (total 4) Anyone else? Let me know by tomorrow as I will be reserving the dates and I need a final head count.

2 days, preferrably, Sept. 27, 28? Or... do you want Wed. Sept. 26, Thur. 27th, drive to Ft Worth 9/28 for O'fest activities on Sat. 9/29 and home 9/30?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I'm easy, I'll fit around anyone elses dates, but I'll have to fly right back home to LA after the event.
    Andrew Macpherson

I'll be two people, I'm bringing my son. Thurs 27th & Fri 28th sounds good to me. May not do O'fest
    Last edited by Norcal; July 31st 2007 at 13:39.

I will contact Jim for the Thurs/Friday Sept. 27/28 with hotel in Tulsa.

Looks like the following have confirmed:

Macfly (1 person - King)
    Norcal (2 persons- 2 double)
    thegunguy (1 person - King)

I will let you know the hotel and confirm everything soon.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I will contact Jim for the Thurs/Friday Sept. 27/28 with hotel in Tulsa.

Looks like the following have confirmed:

Macfly (1 person - King)
    Norcal (2 persons- 2 double)
    thegunguy (1 person - King)

I will let you know the hotel and confirm everything soon.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

2 queens please, if available : )

Thanks, can't wait.

2 Queens to go with the doubles ....

2 queens please, if available : )
    Kinky I think !

I'll let you know!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

LOL, reading it later, it does sound...odd?