Thread: Replacement receiver with color nav

Replacement receiver with color nav

Check out this new receiver/music system/nav with a 3.5" color monitor. Circuit City claims to have a harness for it that fits the Z8-plug and play. iPod, Bluetooth,traffic updates, and hard disc for music storage.

Name:  EC_JVC_KDNX5000.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  19.4 KB

JVC KD-NX5000 Hard Drive NAVIGATION/DVD Receiver
    Automobile - Voice Navigation Instruction - Antenna, Display Unit, Navigation Kit, Remote Control In-dash DVD player/navigation system, built-in 40GB hard disk drive (16 GB for navigation, 24GB for music storage), fits standard-sized dash, 3.5" monitor on motorized fold-down face, 13 million points of interest, controls for iPod, A/V inputs and outputs, SIRIUS and HD Radio ready, 7-band EQ, 20 watts RMS x 4, includes GPS antenna Part #: KD-NX5000 Sellers Found: 5
    Available Since: Feb 14, 2007

Theres nothing like having a navigation system in your car, for making your driving easier a clean moving-map display is the way to go, and now with JVCs KD-NX5000 you dont have to compromise on any other features either.The KD_NX5000 is not only a navigation unit; it is also a full-featured audio and video playback system. Since it is based on a hefty 40GB hard drive it has the ability to run the navigation system while the CD or DVD system is operating, (youll need an external monitor for the video to operate simultaneously). An internal hard drive also means that you won’t have to load navigation discs – its all built-in.The KD-NX5000s navigation functions are quite impressive. The hard drive contains detailed maps for the US, Canada, and the US Virgin Islands, and has a database of over 13 million Points-Of-Interest. Not only will it display your route on-screen, but since the WAAS capable internal GPS gives you accuracy of better than 3 meters, you wont end up in another state. The unit features a built in RDS-TMC tuner so you can get real-time traffic information to keep your travel time to a minimum.There is no danger of skimping on other features since JVC has based the KD-NX5000s stereo on its other high-end head units, plus theyve added a DVD player with DivX® compatibility. The internal hard drive adds even more functionality since you can actually record music to it. The KD-NX5000 can accept an iPod with the KS-PD100 adapter, but you can also just record directly from CD to the internal drive. The drive will hold up to 460 CDs worth of MP3s so you can have instant access to even the largest music collection. A set of three audio outputs and a set of optical digital video outputs also make expanding your system a breeze.JVC also realizes where technology is heading so theyve added Bluetooth capability as well. With the optional KS-BTA200 you can experience hands-free calls, streaming audio and phone book control and transfer. With voice-recognition mobile phones you can even dial just by saying the name in your phone book. The KS-BTA200 also has a pass-through so you can daisy-chain an iPod adapter, a satellite radio receiver or a CD changer
    Video Review:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_KD_NX500...9.html?tag=vid
    Last edited by KenZ8; July 11th 2007 at 21:16. Reason: added review

JVC...? Hmmmmm.....

LOL - there's a raging debate on this same unit over on the Lotus boards. Looks capable, but many are looking down their noses at JVC.

My personal preference is just to leave the Z8 radio as is and carry a Garmin.
    Last edited by thegunguy; July 12th 2007 at 23:13.
    thegunguy

I thought that it might be an answer to the problem of carrying so many separate devices- blue tooth earpiece, Garmin, ipod, etc. I've been thinking about setting up a toolbelt for all of the loose devices. The only things the JVC seems to be missing are radar detection and back scratching.

It won't fit

I just went to look at a unit in person. The faceplate is too thick, and it will not fit without interfering with the Z8's cover door. I guess its back to the Dice unit and the Blue Tooth retrofit.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    Check out this new receiver/music system/nav with a 3.5" color monitor. Circuit City claims to have a harness for it that fits the Z8-plug and play. iPod, Bluetooth,traffic updates, and hard disc for music storage.
    Video Review:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_KD_NX500...9.html?tag=vid
    Have you installed the jvc yet? I'm on my 2nd radio. and it goes off and on with its own mind. Do you know anyone who fixes these, or could it be caused by something else?
    Thanks, Stuart

I decided against the JVC because it would have interfered with the operation of the cover door, and my stock radio is still working well. There was talk of the fuse behind the stock radio being involved in the random on/off problems, but I have no personal experience with that.

Z8 Novice
    I decided against the JVC because it would have interfered with the operation of the cover door, and my stock radio is still working well. There was talk of the fuse behind the stock radio being involved in the random on/off problems, but I have no personal experience with that.
    thanks ken for the info.

Just use a grinder to shave off enough for it to clear!
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice

JVC not the Nav solution

Quote Originally Posted by stuartsackley View Post
    thanks ken for the info.
    Jvc is not fitting with the Z8 radio cover door. So is there any other Radio/Nav/iPod/BlueTooth doing it ?
    Eric.

Z8 Novice
    not that i am aware of.if you find one,please let me know.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Stuart

I know there is someone who repairs those. I think there has been an ad in the Roundel. I will ask around with the BMW fans here. I got a spare off ebay and it was reasonably priced.

This might have been it

http://www.lajollaaudiorepair.com/lar.htm

Dave P

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartsackley View Post
    not that i am aware of.if you find one,please let me know.
    thanks dave.ill try lajolla audio repair.the radio has a mind of its own.it can play one day and then shut off when it feels like it.

Z8 Novice

JVC KD-NX5000 Hard Drive NAVIGATION/DVD Receiver

I just had the JVC KD-NX5000 Hard Drive NAVIGATION/DVD Receiver installed on my 2001 black/crema beauty and it is incredible. Fits perfectly (if you have a good installer) and is a NO ISSUE replacement. I just love it! It takes a bit to get to know the controls, but it works the ipod, the sirius radio, the nav, fm/am - the works!! Of course I have the original head unit - in case there is a subsequent purchaser, but this unit is incredible.

When you have a moment, please post some pics of the JVC unit installed. I know several of us have been interested in it, but there has been a concern over clearance with the door that conceals the unit.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Heh - Gun Guy - there is no issue on door clearance, however, your stereo guy needs to make some room in the back. Have him call my guy "Adam," at Samm Sound 561 743 8421 here in Jupiter, Fl. and tell him Scott Kramer as a reference - he will tell them exactly what he did. Good luck!

Scott

Sport Button On
    Another option is the Alpine ida-X001. I had it installed with amp and the works the other day and WOWOWOWOWOW!! The sound is increadable!! Any road noise, top up or down, is gone!! All you hear is beautiful music. They removed the CD player for the amp and the Nav for the digital radio and other stuff. Nothing is in the trunk and what a beautiful job they did. Also, built in radar detector all you see is the warning lights that replaced the BMW "mood lights" above the center console. Brad Kramer with IME in Houston, Texas. The guy is to die for!! My wifes 2008 Navigator is in his shop right now getting "cherried out".

Z8Mania
    I may go to this when Money Penny takes her last breath.

Team Z8

Looked at the JVC...think it's the one I'll go with.

Quote Originally Posted by kramali View Post
    I just had the JVC KD-NX5000 Hard Drive NAVIGATION/DVD Receiver installed on my 2001 black/crema beauty and it is incredible. Fits perfectly (if you have a good installer) and is a NO ISSUE replacement. I just love it! It takes a bit to get to know the controls, but it works the ipod, the sirius radio, the nav, fm/am - the works!! Of course I have the original head unit - in case there is a subsequent purchaser, but this unit is incredible.
    Can we get a couple of pics from your installation, just to see what it looks like in the car...and again there's no interference with the stereo door/cover closing?

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Stuart, mine did that for quite some time. When it went off it did it with a bang like the old TV sets and left a skinny orange line in the middle of the screen. Scared the bejesus out of me a few times. What was a problem is when it went off and left the nav CD spinning. I had no way to stop it (didn't know it was happening at first) and found out it was the cause of my continually dead battery. Lone Star here in Ft Worth replaced the head unit and it worked for about a week, then wham. So for the past week it's been back at Lone Star. They are replacing the head unit AGAIN and I'll see next week if that was the problem. Needless to say I haven't driven in a loooong time. The fortunate part is I had taken out a 7 yr 100 mile warranty on the Z and so far, it has covered all of this. (yes yes yes). We'll see what happens. Am hoping by August it is drivable for California! Helluva way to keep the miles down.

As time goes by I'm more and more scared to even turn the radio on for fear of inducing the Radio Gremlins! One question I have is if you change the head unit do you get around that maddening safety warning - press accept sequence that my 02 and 03 both suffer from?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

BTW anyone else noticed what a great nav device the little iPhone is? I've been using it on all my travels, and honestly I think it rocks. The next one due out in June has the same GPS recognization chip in it as the Garmin's etc do, so I expect the next iPhone to render all other nav devices redundant!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew,
    I have had difficulty understanding the "warning acceptance" . I guess that a company like BMW is (or more likely, was found) responsible for a driver who doesn't understand that looking down from the road is dangerous.

MollyShark,
    I'm most interested in what 7 year warranty you found that would cover an electrical component like the radio in a Z8. Could you pass along more details?

Thanks.
    Ted